Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

gaming Why does Skyrim keep crashing and how can I fix this?

Verily British

(edited)

The title says it all. It's happened multiple times now, the latest instance being the third time today. My screen will freeze, nothing other than CtrlAltDelete works and the only way to fix it is to open task manager and end the Skyrim task.

post-14392-0-18282200-1430594576_thumb.png

This is what showed up the last two times. The first time didn't even give a reason. One minute I'm playing, the next I'm looking at my desktop, no error message or anything. Yes, I use mods, could they be the problem? Or does the problem run deeper than that?

Edited by British Brony
  • Brohoof 1

The title says it all. It's happened multiple times now, the latest instance being the third time today. My screen will freeze, nothing other than CtrlAltDelete works and the only way to fix it is to open task manager and end the Skyrim task.

attachicon.gifSkyrim Runtime Error.png

This is what showed up the last two times. The first time didn't even give a reason. One minute I'm playing, the next I'm looking at my desktop, no error message or anything. Yes, I use mods, could they be the problem? Or does the problem run deeper than that?

I'm taking a fairly confident guess that one of your mods is causing this.

Have you tried removing the mods you have added just before the problems started?

• Brohoof 1

I was debating doing that, but I really didn't want to mess with them too much.

I think I know which mod is causing all this, I'll check back in a bit when I've tested this. I might be a while, the time to crashing varies from minutes to hours.

• Brohoof 1

Well, I've just played for a good couple of hours without any problems. Here's hoping that the problem's been fixed, thanks for the help guys.

This is a mod problem, are you by any chance running STEP modpack? either way I would highly reccomend you try LOOT and any mod cleaner, like TES5EDIT, you can look up tutorials on how to use TES5EDIT and LOOT should be somewhat self explanitory, and they are both free software.  Not only will this likely fix your crash but it will help the game be all around more stable, and less laggy when playing a modded copy.