Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

2 Minutes to Midnight

Prince Midnight

well, i know its bad, but im going to post the first chapter, its all finished, but i just want to see what you ponies think of it, i dont have a title for it either, so bare with me XD

Well well well, what do we have here, a young foal who THINKS hes special.” the voice taunted “what is it this time? Hmm?”

midnight looked at the ground his ears flat back “I….i never said that”, then back at the others as the voice continued to batter at his weakening mental defenses “you think they care?” he heard the smirk in the voices statement as it knew it hit a sore spot “oh, my my, they don’t know about your past do they? Not like you do, hmmm? Midnight moon.”

Midnight awoke with a jump and fell over the side of his bed landing on his stomach, all four of his legs spread in all four directions, his wings outstretched as they had tried, and miserably, failed to keep him from falling.

“oof.” he mumbled trying to get to his hooves “what a dream, 4th one this week.”

As soon as he was on his hooves the pitch black Pegasus crawled back into bed and sighed, not finding any more sleep he just sat there and his wandering mind went over what people were and had been saying about him.

Was he really “related” in a sense to nightmare moon? or perhaps princess Luna? He shook his head, “not possible.....” he looked out his roof at the blinking and seemingly unfeeling stars “is it?”

“What is it?” midnights best friend, a young stallion by the name of Jaden was walking backwards like a certain pink pony midnight was so reminded of, “comon man you’ve been quiet and not yourself all day.”

Jade was an altogether interesting unicorn, his features, a white coat with a light blue mane, with a red streak through the center, were not the most interesting parts. Jaden had a knack of having a wild imagination, but then again that wasn’t such a bad thing.

Midnight and Jade had met when they had run into each other in the field outside of pony-ville about 9 years ago, and hit it off from there, they had some interesting times together, including getting themselves stuck in the Everfree forest, on the side of a mountain no less.

Midnight was still just a very young colt, around 10 years old, and hadn’t learned to fly. That is until Jade accidentally knocked him off the side of the mountain they were stuck on, and midnight had to flap his wings as hard as he could to make sure he would land with a soft THUMP rather than a hard SPLAT.

So in a sense Jade had taught midnight how to fly, no matter how dangerous it was for him and the fact he could have DIED, but none the less they remain strong friends.

Midnight gave a sigh “its only morning dim-bulb.”

“As I said, you’ve not been yourself all day.” the stubborn unicorn huffed “so what’s up?”

Midnight shook his head “nightmares getting to me again, all month its been the same damn thing, I just can’t help but think were related in some way, not directly but some way.”

Jade tilted his head “who? Nightmare moon?” midnight shook his head quickly then sighed “well yes and no, it’s hard to explain.” Jade nodded sympathetically, “well......” then looked up at the pony-ville town hall clock.

“shoot, I promised big mac id help him with something, I’ll be back later.” he said over his shoulder as he ran off

“alright.” midnight mumbled as he wearily headed in the direction of the town square to see if anyone needed help, just so he could keep his mind off everything.

“HEYA MIDNIGHT.” a bouncy and cheerful voice startled him as he was deep in thought, he whipped around and was staring face to face, actually more eye to eye, with the pink party pony everyone knew as pinky pie.

“h-hey pinky.” the pink pony just bounced in place as she usually did.

“Heya midnight haven’t seen ya this past week, you missed one of my parties.” she continued bouncing as midnight replied “yeah I’m sorry about that, been kinda distant these past few days.”

“Silly filly, you live right next to me, how can you be distant.”

Midnight sighed but couldn’t contain his smile, that’s why he loved having pinky pie as a friend; she never failed to cheer him up, even if it was unintentional.

“So watcha up too? Huh huh huh?” did that mare ever tire out?

“Well I’m headed to the town square to see If anyone needs help...” he paused “to keep my mind off stuff.”

The smiling ponies smile grew wider “well I need help.” she began bouncing “common common, I have a large order of cupcakes to fill.”

How could midnight say no, he liked baking with pinky pie.

It was around 1 or 2 oclock when pinky pies order was completed “thank you so so so so much midnight.” pinky smiled in her usual chipper manner “with this order completed I can go out and play more, care to join.”

Midnight smiled then shook his head “sorry pinky I have something else I needed to do today.”

Truth of the matter was pinky, when she wanted to “play” meant her usual harmless pranks that midnight usually took way over the top, it’s just sometimes he can’t take a joke when he should have.

“Awww, okie dokie lokie ill see you around, midnight.” she giggled and bounced off to wherever it is pinky pie goes.

Pinky pie always made midnight happy, but even so midnight was still troubled, he didn’t know why it bothered him so much, he should just learn to live with it.

Nightmares happen to everypony sooner or later, it doesn’t mean he’s the son of anyone important, good or bad.

He sat on a bench in the town square pulling a book out from the saddlebag and laying it in front of him he was willing to help anypony if they asked. There were two exceptions to that, and their names were applejack and rarity, they didn’t trust him no matter what twilight did or said to try and bring them together as friends.

Midnight didn’t even know what he did to upset those two, except he MIGHT have an idea about applejacks problem, but he avoided them at all costs, whatever it was, they didn’t want him near them.

“Hey midnight.” jade ran up “sorry, got caught up with something big mac and applejack were doing.” midnight waved a hoof and continued reading or at least made it look like he was “whatever, it’s no big deal.”

Jade could tell midnight was still troubled by the nightmares “listen if it bothers you that much, go talk to twilight, I hear she just got a large amount of books dropped off at the library and needs some help getting them inside and sorted.”

midnight looked up and half smiled “well then, I guess I better go be the neighborly gentle colt and help her out.” he picked up the book in his teeth and stowed it in his saddlebag before starting to trot off, he then turned to his best friend before either of them were out of earshot, “oh jade, thanks, I need something to keep my mind off of....you know everything.”

“Its no problem.” Jade smiled and trotted off to find something to do, he was worried about midnight’s nightmares, he also knew twilight could help, she had a way with midnight nopony else did. He was also worried about what the nightmares, and constant lack of sleep might do to the stability of his mind, but jaden shook his head “he wont go crazy on us.” and trotted off to find something to do.

edit: thanks to Swordfishtrombone for the new title ^^

Edited by Midnight Moon
  • Brohoof 1

no u

im not the one that mad bro

anyway chapter two

As midnight approached the library, he noticed twilight wasn't home yet, something told him she was trying to find help with what he saw next.

A big crate (most likely the books) that was a bit taller than he was and twice as wide, that was a lot of books, then again, knowing her, she could go through all of it in a week or two.

He walked around the crate and up to the door, using his mouth to twist the knob and push it to see if it was unlocked, the door swung open easily “hello?” he tried but no answer.

Midnight decided to get started, midnight walked over to a small table in the corner of the large library and set his saddlebags on it then got to work bringing in the books.

He had no idea where they were to go, but he would figure that out later, his mind occupied he started rummaging around.

Twilight sighed, nopony would help her today, they were all too busy, as she came around the corner to start with her books, she noticed a black and silver tail poking out of the crate.

“Midnight?”

Midnight jumped and landed on his back, his wings splayed out in another failed attempt to keep him upright.

I’m too jumpy for my own good.” he thought and stood up, then met the violet eyes of the pony-ville librarian and midnights other best friend, twilight.

“h-hey twilight, sorry, umm Jaden told me you were asking for help with these books so I thought I’d come over and help.”

Twilight smiled “well thank you, it’s been so hard finding somepony to help me.”

midnight nodded “I need to do something that will keep my mind off,” he paused “my thoughts and other stuff.”

He had never told her about the nightmares and didn’t want to, he thought A. she would be worried, or B. she wouldn't care, then again that’s how he thought everypony judged him, in one of those two ways he felt the latter of the two explained rarity and AJ.

Twilight tilted her head then smiled, oblivious to his thoughts, “well let me get my stuff inside and settled then I can help you.” she flashed another genuine smile then walked inside as midnight continued to rummage through the books, his eyes spotted one in particular, “genealogy of names?” he blinked, huh sounded like an interesting book to him maybe he will ask to borrow it later.

After what seemed like days to Twilight all the books were inside and shelved in a matter of hours, as celestias sun began to sink, it was around 5-6 in the afternoon

“Whew,” she smiled “we might need a bigger tree for the library.”

She giggled at the thought as there were no trees bigger than the one they were standing in.

Except for in the everfree forest, or unless she used magic to make a bigger one grow..... But that was a thought for another time; she turned and noticed midnight was resting his head on the table.

She sighed and smiled, that young stallion has been really tired as of late, he never visibly showed it until he was sitting or lying down, sometimes she noticed he fell asleep, other times he would simply zone out, it worried her that her friend was like this.

But he wouldn’t say why, he usually avoided the question entirely, it made her worry even more, why would he keep secrets?

Midnight didn’t dare try to sleep, not while twilight was around, his eyes shot open after he felt a blanket being put over his back, seemed he failed at that.

“w-what’s going on?” he rubbed his eyes with his hooves and looked out the window, it was night, he swore when he closed his eyes for a second, the sun had still been up.

“hey sleepy head” twilight smiled “you fell asleep after all that hard work,” she nuzzled his cheek as a thank you for earlier that day, they did this regularly, and it only happened between them, he wasnt sure why, but it was something they felt for each other, something that eluded him.

“You can sleep here tonight if you want, its already past midnight,” she blushed and tried to re-state those words “i-i mean you know past 12 o'clock at night.”

Midnight smiled “I know what you meant.” and hugged her softly then yawned thinking “what’s the worst that could happen?” and quickly fell asleep again.

I see.” midnight heard a voice coming from down a long hall, the first he judged was a stallion, “ We think the ritual requires a colt of his age. We are not shure, but if it dosent work, we can wait till hes older.” another voice said, it was cold calculating and not a ounce of compassion in it.

Midnight stopped in front of the giant red door, he shook his head at it, such a dreadful bright and cheery color, it needed to be black, a darker more welcoming color.

A mares voice sounded through the shut door “well then, should I get him now?”

the dispassionate one replied “no, as he is already here.” the door swung wide and bright light blinded midnight, then as he stepped forward to the voices directions, he got the distinct sensation of falling...falling...

“GAH!!” midnight jolted awake, “what the?” he immediately came face to face with an owl “hoo.” it said simply and midnight blinked, and yelped in a delayed reaction.

“Darn it owlowlicious, I thought I told you never to do that.”

“Hoo” the owl said simply as it landed on its perch next to twilight’s bed,

“Me, you feathery dim-bulb” midnight replied dryly as he shakily got too his hooves, his wings outstretched to make sure his balance was fine.

“Hoo?”

Midnight sighed angrily about to retort, then paused and took some deep breaths he would not be bested by an owl.

“Morning midnight.” came a cheerful voice as he descended the steps into the main library, “your up early.” Midnight looked over at twilight, who was doing nothing else but burying her muzzle in one of the new books.

“I always get up this early,” he sighed, he thought he got enough sleep last night and yet why was he still so dang tired.

He then immediately thought of the nightmare, one particular part, “a red door too bright and cheery for me? This is one screwed up nightmare.... my favorite color is red, isn’t it?”

“Hey mid, you okay?” twilight waved a hoof in front of midnights eyes who shook his head, she had dropped the book and walked over, he had zoned out.

“Y-yeah, just for some reason with all that sleep...I’m still tired.”

She smiled “well with all the tossing and turning you were doing its to be expected, you even woke up a few times.”

Midnight furrowed his brow “i-i did?”

She nodded and shrugged “around 6 this morning you came upstairs, and since I already was out of bed, you asked if you could sleep there, got two hooves on the bed, and fell asleep again.”

He blinked a bit, his dream was never interrupted so what in the hay was going on?

Midnight shook his head and yawned not wanting to bother with it. “Is it okay if I make some tea?”

twilight gave a broad smile “spike already made some before he left to help rarity out with digging out some more gemstones for an outfit she’s making.” midnight tiredly nuzzled her neck in response, and walked into the stocked kitchen and grabbed the tea kettles handle with his mouth and poured some into a cup.

Midnight sipped at the hot drink, as its warmth spread through his body, his mind began waking up a bit more “there we go.” he thought “that’s a bit better.” he smiled softly as he looked out the window and watched fillies, colts, mares and stallions enjoying themselves outside.

He sighed and watched them, “why do they mock me!!!” his sudden frustration came to a boil and before he realized the feelings that he was experiencing, the damage had been done. The glass cup lay shattered on the ground, tea dripping down the wall.

He sat there for a good few minutes, or seconds, he relley didnt know, before he finally reacted, midnight ran over and grabbed a dishrag and started to clean up the mess, all the while wondering what had come over him.

“Idiot!” Midnight was not usually prone to outbursts; the stress was getting to him, it was the only answer he had, as he started picking up the glass shards he came to a realization. “mabey im going crazy,” he shook his head violently “no that cant be it,” as he took the shards, slowly and carefully as not to cut his mouth, and transported them to the garbage.

Midnight had decided to wait a few minutes before going to check on twilight, he knew she was now worried, but he continued to keep his emotions bottled up, maybe that’s what caused this outburst. He laid his head on his hooves and watched the clock for another 10 minutes before deciding to head out.

Twilight heard the crash of glass against wood, and ran over to the kitchen door and poked her head in, midnight was sitting there dumbfounded, and shards of glass from the shattered cup sat on the floor, while tea slowly dripped down the wall.

She heard him mutter “idiot.” then turn and grab a dish rag and begin cleaning up the tea, this wasn’t like him, he’s usually reserved, and like Fluttershy he’s never usually prone to violent outbursts.

Twilight took a quiet breath and backed away yawning and crossing to her desk, she had to make it look like she didn't see a thing make him feel at ease, she hated not directly discussing any of his...behaviors, with him, but she knew him better then anypony, and he was, fragile, to say the least, again like Fluttershy but on a deeper level.

She did care for him, deeper then friend, she didnt know how far, but she cared, and yet, he didn’t seem to pick up on the signals, or maybe he did but was to afraid, she would never know.

She yawned again and laid her head down, she had checked on him every time she opened her eyes last night, about every hour, which meant almost no sleep for her; she crossed her hooves and laid her head down to take a short nap.

“Twi?” as midnight walked back into the main library he saw twilight, asleep, her hooves under her head, her mane just flowing onto the desk then off the edge. He smiled to himself and walked up beside her and nuzzled her neck in a friendly yet caring manner.

“Thanks for letting me spend the night.”

He slid her over his back being careful not to wake her, using his wings to keep her stable, he slowly ascended the staircase and laid twilight in her bed “sweet dreams.”

He slid his saddlebags onto his back as he wrote out a note to twilight of the book he was taking and when he would return it, then whispered another thank you before opening the door and departing, passing by spike on the way. “Hello” they quickly said to each other and no more.