Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Dude Or Bro?

Denim&Venöm

Dude or Bro?  

80 users have voted

1. 1. Dude or Bro?

• Dude
    • Bro

"Dude" is practically a crutch word for me. I can probably count the number of times I've ever said "bro" on one hand. Maybe it's cuz I grew up in the 90's, but dude just feels more natural to me. I think it's because it doubles as an interjection better than bro does. Like, in the same way you can throw "man" into a sentence, you can put "dude" there, but not always "bro." Just from my perspective, anyway.

• Brohoof 1

I've been used to saying "dude" much more often than "bro". Though I've been discouraged from using that because some people I know of either don't know what it is, or they are annoyed by it for some reason. :(

Well, here comes a curve ball.

If I say "dude," there is zero connotation.  It is merely a slightly more personal way to say "you."  Thus, "hey you" = "hey dude."

But, I don't call many people "bro."  It comes with a meaningfully positive connotation for me.  I call only people I feel are actually like a brother to me, "bro."  There may be some exceptions to that.  Idk, lol.

Nonetheless, I prefer to refer to people using more eloquent ways.  You know... like their names.   :wacko: 

Or, if talking irl to someone a good several years or more older than I am, I say "sir," or "ma'am."  One time I said "ma'am" and the gal took it offensively, muttering "I'm not that old" under her breath.  I thought to myself, *no you aren't old, but you are naive.*  I asked my mom and she said "just use 'miss' for less old women" - I thought, wow, that's a good idea.   ^_^  

~ Miles 

I use them both very frequently, boy or girl.

I DO use the term "bro" than I do "dude".
My most favorite catch phrase has to be, "Fight me in real life, bro." In any situation, I kid you not this is what I always say. I don't know why. lol

I say 'dude' more than 'bro' but I'm all British and I say 'mate' XD

You beat me to it xD 

I say neither, I prefer to say "mate" because I'm English. I feel Dude and bro are more American things.

• Brohoof 1

I'm a dude, bro. That's not right, I'm a bro, dude.

They're interchangeable with me. Also, if I don't work with you and you're no more than 5 years older than me, that's probably what I'm calling you until I know your name, which can take upwards of a year.

I almost never use either of them (I prefer 'guys'), but I'd probably use dude more often, and most likely not in a positive way ("Dude, what are you thinking?!", for instance).

• 3 weeks later...