Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Ask a Deep-Sea Diver

The Diver

Go ahead and ask questions! Please, go ahead! Do it!

Have you seen Octopone? She hasn't said anything to us in a long while and I hope she is ok

(edited)

How did you get into diving?

Also, have you done any underwater welding?

I got into it through getting my SCUBA open water cert in Honduras years ago and loved it. My father suggested commercial deep-sea diving school while I was doing some community college classes (which ucked!) and decided to go to dive school.

And yes I've done underwater welding and burning. Very different technique from topside welding and more dangerous due to the use of hydrogen gas underwater. Also got electrocuted to the point of black out due to past dive team's error. :P

Have you seen Octopone? She hasn't said anything to us in a long while and I hope she is ok

Never met them!

Edited by The Diver

Did you ever see or hear anything down there that you couldn't explain properly?

The only thing close to that would be when I was a standby diver while doing my HAZMAT module in school and I was just keeping an eye on the current dive team working on a flange project. It was pretty much 0' visability in all directions and I remember taking a step back and fell into a hole which picked up so much silt that I couldn't even see my hand in front of my hat visor. I finally climbed out and realized that I couldn't find the dive team so I ended up walking around in circles until my flashlight died on me and I remember something big rub up against my bailout bottle (basically a SCUBA cylinder) behind me and so I turned around quickly and couldn't see anything. I finally got enough power out of my light to give me a few seconds of light but there was nothing. It was probably a fish but that was the most uneasy experience I've had so far.

• Brohoof 1

The only thing close to that would be when I was a standby diver while doing my HAZMAT module in school and I was just keeping an eye on the current dive team working on a flange project. It was pretty much 0' visability in all directions and I remember taking a step back and fell into a hole which picked up so much silt that I couldn't even see my hand in front of my hat visor. I finally climbed out and realized that I couldn't find the dive team so I ended up walking around in circles until my flashlight died on me and I remember something big rub up against my bailout bottle (basically a SCUBA cylinder) behind me and so I turned around quickly and couldn't see anything. I finally got enough power out of my light to give me a few seconds of light but there was nothing. It was probably a fish but that was the most uneasy experience I've had so far.

I'm not sure if I'd be able to step back into the water after that! :wau:

I'm not sure if I'd be able to step back into the water after that! :wau:

In reality, it's what you can't see is what makes something underwater creepy. Especially on a lake bottom by yourself.

• Brohoof 1

In reality, it's what you can't see is what makes something underwater creepy. Especially on a lake bottom by yourself.

If you stare into the abyss..

Do they train you for that? How to deal with it? I imagine work must take you out there a long while sometimes. :sunny:

If you stare into the abyss..

Do they train you for that? How to deal with it? I imagine work must take you out there a long while sometimes. :sunny:

No they dont, but a lot of the people that go into dive school are real Type A personality (Applejack's stubbornness and Rainbow Dash's ego basically together) and most of my class were former military (class president was a US Army Special Forces Combat Diver) including most of our instructors. Basically, you learn to just deal with fears and doubts just from that collective atmosphere's influence.

I never really had a problem dealing with fear other than minor submechanophobia (fear of large mechanical objects underwater :P) which I dealt with during the Salvage module bringing a boat off the bottom of the lake.

No they dont, but a lot of the people that go into dive school are real Type A personality (Applejack's stubbornness and Rainbow Dash's ego basically together) and most of my class were former military (class president was a US Army Special Forces Combat Diver) including most of our instructors. Basically, you learn to just deal with fears and doubts just from that collective atmosphere's influence.

I never really had a problem dealing with fear other than minor submechanophobia (fear of large mechanical objects underwater :P) which I dealt with during the Salvage module bringing a boat off the bottom of the lake.

Awesome. Your job comes pretty close to having a superhuman power. I can kinda get behind that submechanophobia fear too thought. I fear the deep will have to remain forever closed to me.  :adorkable:

Awesome. Your job comes pretty close to having a superhuman power. I can kinda get behind that submechanophobia fear too thought. I fear the deep will have to remain forever closed to me. :adorkable:

I recommend getting your SCUBA Open Water cert and build from there. Fearing the unknown just makes it all more fun and exciting! Plus you'll put more emphasis on your own safety.

• Brohoof 1

Nice to see a diver on MLP Forums. It must be a very interesting experience! I've been lately getting into things like swimming again, but I'm quite intrigued by your job. What things did you had to learn about before you got your job? :D

Also, how long have you been diving for?

Nice to see a diver on MLP Forums. It must be a very interesting experience! I've been lately getting into things like swimming again, but I'm quite intrigued by your job. What things did you had to learn about before you got your job? :D

Also, how long have you been diving for?

Well I had to spend close to $30,000 for dive school but I had to learn advanced dive physics (including formulas for hydraulic systems, decompression, welding, and salvage), dive hat systems (helmets essentially), topside and underwater rigging, CPR and First Aid (including O2 administration), midwater flange projects with "blackout" projects (diving blindfolded basically), HAZMAT training, topside and underwater welding/burning, NDT (Non-destructive testing), underwater hydraulic tools (chainsaw, jackhammer, and impact wrench), salvage (bringing a sunken object or vessel back to surface using patches, lift bags, pontoons, and rigging equipment), SCUBA, Inland operations, Surface Decompression hyperbaric training (diving from depths of 60-165' and being put into a Decompression chamber).

I am actually a new Commercial Diver but I have been a SCUBA diver since I was 16.

• Brohoof 1

• 1 year later...

As a diver, what are some goals you want to reach in your career? :)

Honestly, I'm quite content with my diving career at this point. My goals outside of it would have to be to spend less time working and more time enjoying my life, find myself a girl, and possibly go to college. ^^

• Brohoof 1

• 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...

Last time I tried deep sea diving my head felt like it was gonna pop O_O 

Did you feel something similar?

Lol I'm just guessing you weren't equalizing your ear pressure at a fast enough rate. That is what generally causes that.

Were swimming classes mandatiry prior to starting this work?

Actually no. Diving schools think that people who are willing to spend money to go to deep-sea diving school are people who can swim. We had to do a drysuit swim "test" that was really just military PT in the water. We did that for 3 hours and it was horrible. XD

What is the most favorite seafood dish you had in what seafood restaurant?

Have you ever went in the deep trenches where its all pitch dark there? 

​Guessing around 5,000 ft deep from my perspective.

Lobster in an Anthony's in my hometown!

Not at that depth! O.o I have dived to 194' for a energy pipeline inspection and that was absolute pitch black. Pretty creepy.

• Brohoof 1