Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

The UK goes to General Election!

Planty

Brony voter opinion poll!  

32 users have voted

1. 1. Pick which party you like the most!

• Labour
    • Conservative
    • UKIP
    • Green
    • Plaid cymru
    • SNP
    • Lib Dems
    • Other

So today (7th May 2015) the UK gets to vote on the next prime minister!

In the UK a first past the post system is used:

http://www.electoral-reform.org.uk/first-past-the-post

For a majority government to be held a party must win:

326 house of commons seats for a national majority,

If not a "hung parliament" will occur and the Queen will invite the biggest party to form a government with other parties to reach the required number of seats.

So! Your thoughts/discussion on what is going to happen today! Everything is open for discussion from the way the system works to whether you are voting to the parties themselves!

I have already voted :D! (UK bronys that can, make sure you vote! :3)

(edited)

(At the time I write this, labour has the most votes on this poll)

The conservatives have already proven that they can rescue an economy, ruined with huge borrowing by the Labour party. It's still fragile, and a change of leadership will place the recovery in jeopardy. it's now up to them to prove they can build one.

The liberal democrats remind me of a phrase used by British soldiers during the 18th century. "Hurry up and do nothing."

The green party are a joke. They live in a world where danger does not exist, global warming will destroy the earth by next week and an entire country can survive without having to borrow any money, make cuts, raise taxes and yet still offer unlimited welfare, free housing and completely unrestricted immigration. A vote for them is a vote entirely wasted.

The SNP will take more money from the rest of the UK than ever before. They are the most dangerous party in British politics at the moment, for they want to break up the UK, which most likely will cripple the economies of both Scotland and the rest of the UK. It is an impossibility for Scotland to survive in its current state independently. The SNP would also remove Trident from Scotland, if not the whole of the UK, which would make more than 15,000 people in Scotland redundant, and no doubt impact jobs in other sectors. And these gullible Scottish fools will try to put in power a party that will destroy them. I'm sure the SNP will carry out their promises.

And that's what scares me.

Labour. A bit of a wild card at the moment, and a risky vote. I can't understand why they have votes in this poll, they're much worse than the Tories. Though they've tried to distance themselves from the mistakes of the 2005 government, they still have huge funding gaps and some of their policies are impossible to implement. You know a party has no idea when the claim 8 billion pounds of funding will be taken from "A crackdown on tax evasion", a completely unpredictable source. labour won't be able to stop an increase in VAT. They won't be able to freeze energy bills. And they definitely won't be able to eat bacon sarnies.

UKIP. The revolutionaries. The far-right party of the UK. Independence from the EU, less immigration, more trade with third-world countries, war with France. Not afraid to insult foreign sufferers of HIV to prove a point. "Straight talking", as their leader says. Only party whose manifesto has been independently examined by an exterior think-tank for funding, and can prove that every one of their promises can be funded, that the money is all there. Yes, some of them may be racist. Yes, times may be hard. But that is what England needs. A struggle to challenge it. We've cowered too long under Europe's boot, paying a tithe for countries like Greece and spain to throw away in pointless investments. UKIP are also the only party who have promised to maintain 2% GDP on defence, the requirement to stay in NATO.

(The greens said that they didn't need to spend much on funding because other countries would help us. They won't help us if we can't help them, because our army consists of 3 hippies with a billboard saying "ban the nuke" apeice).

I'm 17, not old enough to vote, and bloody pissed off about it. Everyone thinks UKIP is a party for old racist fools. But I believe that they can fix this country's problems.

Just my opinion. I know many people will say "He's just a child, has no idea what is right for this country." and admittedly, you may be right. I just tell it like it is, how I see it.

As a gift, here's a really low-res picture of Nigel Farage.

11108844_1632807640266461_29845754604360

There's a reason why politicians don't care about young people.

They can't vote.

Edited by ForthEorl
  • Brohoof 5

(edited)

I've just missed out, I'm a couple months too young (I'm 17). If I was able to vote, I would definitely go for the Conservatives. Out of the main parties, David Cameron is the only leader that I can stand. Nothing too horrific has happened with the Tories in charge, so why ruin the progress that's been made? I can't stand Ed Miliband, or Labour, and I really don't agree with a lot of what UKIP have to say. We shouldn't leave the EU, and Farage is one of those people you really don't want running the country. 

I'm not too into politics, if I'm honest, but I know enough to make a decision, and the Conservatives would get my vote.

Edited by Raritas
  • Brohoof 1

@@ForthEorl, Interesting...

I agree with you in many ways, and I can see why you would vote conservative! 

But they have not changed. Yes they are reducing the deficit and fast, but at the same time they are cutting very harshly. Particularly in my area, schools are in disarray from having funding cut so much (lol education is another thing this government as royally screwed up imo, with constant changing of the curriculum and forcing £9k fees). The use of food banks has risen massively under this government, and while I can accept that they are doing well with the overall economy, they are hurting people that they can't and don't empathise with.

Labour are to far the other way, over-spending on NHS and benefits, but overall they raise the standard living for the poorest in the country.

IMO, a tory + labour government would be the best, one that thinks about the cuts it's making wisely from both an economic view and how it will affect the overall population (including the poorest).

(edited)

You're form of government seems way less complicated than mine does. I live in the US, and our election system is so messed up (at least at the Federal level.) I mean we do have a popular vote, but there is also the Electoral College that decides the President of the US. Not to mention the issues with a two party system.

I do have one question though? Why do you have a monarchy when all the power really lies with Parliament, and the Prime Minister? But I guess the same could be asked of my country. Why do we have a President, when all the power really lies with Congress?

Well I hope your elections turn out well.

Edited by Sir Cal Stonehoof
  • Brohoof 2

If I could vote it'd be either labour or Lib Dems, most likely labour.  The green party is naive to the point of sillyness and UKIP seems really nutty (Not every member of UKIP is a nut, but it kind of says something when they're constantly having to fire members who think gays cause hurricanes or for threatening to kill their competition for 'not being British enough'  >.<) even excluding the EU leaving thing I'd rather the NHS wasn't privatised.
Whilst conservatives could possibly do a good job with the economy I don't like the idea of a government that'd deregulate uni fee's. I'd rather not be in crippling debt for the rest of my life thanks xD

(edited)

You're form of government seems way less complicated than mine does. I live in the US, and our election system is so messed up (at least at the Federal level.) I mean we do have a popular vote, but there is also the Electoral College that decides the President of the US. Not to mention the issues with a two party system.

I do have one question though? Why do you have a monarchy when all the power really lies with Parliament, and the Prime Minister? But I guess the same could be asked of my country. Why do we have a President, when all the power really lies with Congress?

Well I hope your elections turn out well.

Our queen is mostly for ceremonial purposes. She purposefully keeps politically neutral. 

Kept because the royal family is very good for diplomacy and tourism : P

Also fairly important for some just for the sake of having a royal family, since its been a thing since, like the 10th century. Nice to have some tradition :3

Oh also

(Since we've been posting the monster raving loony party here ; P)

Edited by Aleh
  • Brohoof 1

Labour are to far the other way, over-spending on NHS and benefits, but overall they raise the standard living for the poorest in the country.

They raised the standards of living five years ago by borrowing hugely and overspending, I agree.

But maybe the decline in living standards seen over the last five years is good for England?

As wiser people than me have said, hardship fuels creativity.

With your point on education, it really does vary, and is almost entirely dependent upon the local authorities. I live in the constituency that has the third worst level of funding for education, yet in my area we have some of the best public schools (Mostly thanks to the academy system implemented by the Tories). Obviously I cannot make any assumptions about the schools in your area, not knowing where that is. Many schools waste huge amounts of money on vanity projects that make them look good, but then their students suffer.

However, lack of money has damaged the state of education in this country. (Still better than America, though, so I guess that's something. A lot better.)

Labour, however, will not help the poor who work on zero-hour contracts. If they ban zero-hour contracts, which they claim they will, do you think that all the bosses who hired them on said contracts will be like "Here's a contract on regular working hours for you."

No.

They will lay off the majority of the workers and hire the best ones full-time. many people will lose their jobs because labour thinks that these "Exploitative" contracts damage workers, when what they really do is keep people afloat in a sea of unemployment.

Finally, the Labour-Tory government could never happen. There will never be anyone to regulate spending cuts, or to prevent borrowing. The money has to come from somewhere, and as the economy isn't up to it, either we spend or we save. I think it's better to save the money for when we need it, than spend it on things like welfare for obese people who have prevented themselves from working by being, pardon my french, fat bastards.

• Brohoof 1

People still voting for Labour after the Rotherdam scandal?

UK is done.

Was fun fighting wars with you guys.

Pfft. Every party has its scandals.

Lot of Tory MPs were child moloestors and they seem to have been voted in >.<

Also not like we have much choice even if the scandal DID matter. Lot of people are against the Tory party, mostly people who like the NHS and cheap uni fees (Tory's aren't exactly known for liking poor people xD)

Pfft. Every party has its scandals.

Lot of Tory MPs were child moloestors and they seem to have been voted in >.<

Also not like we have much choice even if the scandal DID matter. Lot of people are against the Tory party, mostly people who like the NHS and cheap uni fees (Tory's aren't exactly known for liking poor people xD)

Dude, over years a bunch of pakistanis abducted, raped, tortured and sold white british children.

Now comes the real shocker: The police knew about but chose not to do anything because they would be labeled as racists.

Now let this sink in for a while...

...because of the fear of being called racists, the police let innocent boys and girls suffer horrible and let them be traumazised for the rest of their life.

You guys literally told the world its okay to rape british white children for foreigners.

British Empire? Pfff...

Well that's it, say goodbye to the middle class guys, and the good healthcare, and the possibility of going to uni, and human rights, anything else? 

I believe you forgot "Say goodbye to the raving Scottish nationalists who want to destroy our country, and say goodbye to unlimited borrowing just so fat unemployed people can sit around doing nothing all day."

• Brohoof 2

(edited)

Dude, over years a bunch of pakistanis abducted, raped, tortured and sold white british children.

Now comes the real shocker: The police knew about but chose not to do anything because they would be labeled as racists.

Now let this sink in for a while...

...because of the fear of being called racists, the police let innocent boys and girls suffer horrible and let them be traumazised for the rest of their life.

You guys literally told the world its okay to rape british white children for foreigners.

British Empire? Pfff...

Psh. And what the hell has got to do with labour? The same stuff would have happened with the conservatives. And UKIP is a shit tier party.

Clearly hasn't told the world its ok to rape kids, the entire country condemned it. 

Also the politicians involved in the scandal have either resigned or been imprisoned. 

Either way, stuff like this really should have NO  effect on people voting for labour, the people involved in it and people tend to vote for policies and people anyway (As opposed to the MP who was imprisoned for this stuff >.<)

The British empire hasn't been a thing for like, half a century +, only a loony would say otherwise xD

Edit: MP who was arrested was arrested for a completely separate reason. Other members resigned though.

Edited by Aleh

I believe you forgot "Say goodbye to the raving Scottish nationalists who want to destroy our country, and say goodbye to unlimited borrowing just so fat unemployed people can sit around doing nothing all day."

None of the parties wanted a coalition with the SNP, and if you're gonna talk about "benefit scroungers" I'd like to ask you if you support the monarchy? 

• Brohoof 2

Well that's it, say goodbye to the middle class guys, and the good healthcare, and the possibility of going to uni, and human rights, anything else? 

Whilst I'm no fan of the conservatives I'm going to err on the optimistic side here.

They 'may' increase uni fees. But they aren't going to be retarded and deregulate it. Seems to be £11,000 a year at most, which is bad. But manageable.

I don't think they plan on screwing over all of the NHS either. Both of these would be political suicide.

The human rights change is a little off, but I'm pretty sure they'll keep the majority of it and perhaps change some aspects of it.

I detest their idea on privacy though "we need to monitor your internet , for your safety ofc" . 

Thankfully half of them have no idea how the internet even works but >.<

I'd like to ask you if you support the monarchy?

Of course I support the monarchy. I blame the politicians of the past for taking too much power from them. The royal family has done more for this country than any "Benefit scrounger", as you put it, a hundredfold.

As for your point on the SNP, the only way labour could ever have gained a majority in a coalition (If they hadn't done awfully) was if they used the SNP. Or, more rightly, the SNP used them. The Lib Dems have nothing now, so they couldn't have used them. And Ed Miliband is enough of a slimeball to go back on his word.

I'm not a massive fan of the conservative party. But they were a lesser of two evils, and Labour would have reformed education, the health sector, and the rest of the public sector. They don't need reformation, they need hard work and effort.

(edited)

Sorry for breaking Godwin's Law but this is my reaction to the Conservatives winning. 

The problem is with Conservatives is they destroy environments to make way for housing and HS2 and gas lines, Rob Ford from Toronto is a conservative. And I made the mistake of saying he deserved to die, saying, ''did Hitler deserve to die?''. And I broke Godwin's Law for the first time, the example video above is for comedy, I am not a supporter of Nazism. So please don't ban me for it. As for Rob Ford, I was being a bit harsh, I'm comparing a man who kills Hundreds of animals to someone who killed Millions of Jews. I wanted Labour because the wage would increase to £8. If you ask me, I think that parties should have their own Military so they can sabotage each other. 

Edited by PathfinderCS
  • Brohoof 1

Of course I support the monarchy. I blame the politicians of the past for taking too much power from them. The royal family has done more for this country than any "Benefit scrounger", as you put it, a hundredfold.

Right because waving and making small talk is totally doing something for the country. Then again this is for a different topic entirely. 

Right because waving and making small talk is totally doing something for the country. Then again this is for a different topic entirely. 

Care to reply to the bit where I talked about Labour? The whole monarchy thing was just a chance to get my views out there.

I really would like to hear your rebuttal.

As for your point on the SNP, the only way labour could ever have gained a majority in a coalition (If they hadn't done awfully) was if they used the SNP. Or, more rightly, the SNP used them. The Lib Dems have nothing now, so they couldn't have used them. And Ed Miliband is enough of a slimeball to go back on his word.

I'm not a massive fan of the conservative party. But they were a lesser of two evils, and Labour would have reformed education, the health sector, and the rest of the public sector. They don't need reformation, they need hard work and effort.

Honestly I'm not sure if Labour would have gone with SNP. I mean, its possible but at the same time it'd be borderline political suicide. Would be short sighted as hell.

Also perhaps I'm ridiculously optimistic but I'm not sure how terrible a Labour SNP coalition would be. Don't know enough about SNPs polices (Not a fan of them leaving the UK, but apparently that wasn't planned if they got in. Only thing I know that I'm iffy on was the removal of trident, and even then I could understand that.)