Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

How many have Aspergers?

Tom Snyder

(edited)

Here are a list of the symptoms:

• Not pick up on social cues and may lack inborn social skills, such as being able to read others' bodylanguage, start or maintain a conversation, and take turns talking.

• Dislike any changes in routines.
  • Appear to lack empathy.

• Be unable to recognize subtle differences in speech tone, pitch, and accent that alter the meaning of others' speech. So your child may not understand a joke or may take a sarcastic comment literally. And his or her speech may be flat and hard to understand because it lacks tone, pitch, and accent.

• Have a formal style of speaking that is advanced for his or her age. For example, the child may use the word "beckon" instead of "call" or the word "return" instead of "come back."

• Talk a lot, usually about a favorite subject. One-sided conversations are common. Internal thoughts are often verbalized.

• Avoid eye contact or stare at others.
  • Have unusual facial expressions or postures.

• Be preoccupied with only one or few interests, which he or she may be very knowledgeable about. Many children with Asperger's syndrome are overly interested in parts of a whole or in unusual activities, such as designing houses, drawing highly detailed scenes, or studying astronomy. They may show an unusual interest in certain topics such as snakes, names of stars, or dinosaurs.

• Have delayed motor development. Your child may be late in learning to use a fork or spoon, ride a bike, or catch a ball. He or she may have an awkward walk. Handwriting is often poor.

• Have heightened sensitivity and become overstimulated by loud noises, lights, or strong tastes or textures.

I have most of these, and it has affected my life more than people think; I wish i could take it away. But i know i'm stuck with it, but i have learned to live with it; but my mother doesn't understand my behavior and seems to think i'm being disrespectful on purpose. So we went to a doctor and he told her the details and she now understands my condition.

Edited by Candy Star
  • Brohoof 4

(edited)

I have Aspergers Syndrome (diagnosed during elementary school) and it has affected me socially. To be honest, I don't enjoy having it but I'm stuck with it and the best thing I can do is to be around others who are like me or who understand me well and whom I can trust.

Edited by CC_Maud_Pie
  • Brohoof 1

I was diagnosed with it when I was 12 (now 25).  Social skills such as reading body language and the differences in voice are not as problematic as they used to be, but even to this day I hate having changes to any supposed routine I have developed.  Asperger's is something you never grow out of, you simply learn to work with or around it.  If you ask me, I think it is nice that some people have such a diagnosis.

• Brohoof 1

I have High-Functional Autism. And other people apparently had that confused with Aspergers. Are High-Functional Autism and Aspergers even the same exact thing? Because this talk of the two being the same (or very similar) therefore having to alternate name, is getting out of hand (or hoof)!

• Brohoof 1

My parents always thought I had this, but I wasn't officially diagnosed till 17. 

It kinda sucks having it, cause it's hard to make or keep friends when you don't get their cues & subtle emotions, or can carry a conversation and keep eye contact.  Hardest of all is trying not to say something that hurts someone's feelings or makes them upset. That's why I usually avoid social contact, so I don't hurt others by accident.

On the plus side, I'm hardly lonely.  I'm very much ok with my own company and doing my own thing. And having aspergers, while narrowing my interests, has helped me become very knowledgeable in those few areas. I'm a metalhead. I can talk to you a decent amount about music theory and the history of the genre. I'm a die hard wrestling fan. I can tell you the different styles, best matches & intricacies of the sport and issues it faces. I'm a brony. I can name most background characters and aspects of show lore. 

I've gone through all the signs listed. It has it's ups and downs and I'm still learning to live with it. But at least I'm trying. I haven't completely given up on finding the magic of friendship. 

• Brohoof 4

Aspie reporting in. 

I was bullied a lot as a kid, but I still left school with a small group of true friends. 
Despite everyone having jobs and families now, they regularly make time for me and invite me over to their homes.
I sometimes even accompany them on their family vacations.
AND one of my friends made me the GODFATHER of his daughter. I burst into tears when I got home that day. I felt so blessed.

• Brohoof 1

Here are a list of the symptoms:

• Not pick up on social cues and may lack inborn social skills, such as being able to read others' bodylanguage, start or maintain a conversation, and take turns talking.
  • Dislike any changes in routines.
  • Appear to lack empathy.
  • Be unable to recognize subtle differences in speech tone, pitch, and accent that alter the meaning of others' speech. So your child may not understand a joke or may take a sarcastic comment literally. And his or her speech may be flat and hard to understand because it lacks tone, pitch, and accent.
  • Have a formal style of speaking that is advanced for his or her age. For example, the child may use the word "beckon" instead of "call" or the word "return" instead of "come back."
  • Talk a lot, usually about a favorite subject. One-sided conversations are common. Internal thoughts are often verbalized.
  • Avoid eye contact or stare at others.
  • Have unusual facial expressions or postures.
  • Be preoccupied with only one or few interests, which he or she may be very knowledgeable about. Many children with Asperger's syndrome are overly interested in parts of a whole or in unusual activities, such as designing houses, drawing highly detailed scenes, or studying astronomy. They may show an unusual interest in certain topics such as snakes, names of stars, or dinosaurs.
  • Have delayed motor development. Your child may be late in learning to use a fork or spoon, ride a bike, or catch a ball. He or she may have an awkward walk. Handwriting is often poor.
  • Have heightened sensitivity and become overstimulated by loud noises, lights, or strong tastes or textures.
I have most of these, and it has affected my life more than people think; I wish i could take it away. But i know i'm stuck with it, but i have learned to live with it; but my mother doesn't understand my behavior and seems to think i'm being disrespectful on purpose. So we went to a doctor and he told her the details and she now understands my condition.

I do and to be honenst its not so bad of course sometimes I get a long conversation about not wanting to talk anything but computer mlpa nd stuff sinc ei don't talk about me I prefer my happy little mlp filled world ith nothing to do with whats happening in my life my family is bothered byt his im not I don't wanna talk life and reality I only wanna talk cartoons and gaming and Carolina circle mallw iki
  • Brohoof 1

My empathy is actually quite high, I cry easily and I always feel sorry for people and try to see the good in them. 
My empathy is what makes me such a strong opposer of the death penalty,
and fiction scenes where a character chases down a fleeing and scared bad guy for the sole purpose of finishing him off.
(Like when Goku simply knocked out two members of the ginyu force, and was content to leave them be, but Vegeta disregarded this and finished them off in their sleep.
Goku rightly pointed out that it was hypocritical, because Vegeta himself was spared on earth.)

• Brohoof 1

I've never checked with a doctor to conclude I have it, but I show many of those symptoms, so, I suspect I have it. I'm not sure if it's my main reason of social problems I had with people of my age (as were I grew up, most of them were getto thugs at least), but I get along well with older people 

• Brohoof 1

Well I heard while watching the bronies film on Netflix that a majority of us bronies are autistic ,so id assume theres a big chunk of us that are

• Brohoof 1

There's a person in my class in college with it. Although he's a likeable guy, it's caused problems when in groupe conversaitonos he just picks the person closestn to him and talks about what he loves - no matter what that person wishes to talk about or do. It's a pretty difficuly situation. At one stage, one of the guys literally told him "Stop talking, I'm not interested". The guy looked completely shocked...and then continued talking.

It's just an awkward case. I don't know of anyone else with it.

• Brohoof 1

(edited)

I display a few of these symptoms, but I was tested for Asbergers and they say I don't have it. I don't think I have it either.

Again, display is a key word here. I probably seem like I have little empathy for people but I remember when I was a little kid I felt really bad about breaking a bar of soap. Not because it was my parents soap or anything, because of the bar of soap. As in, "That poor soap". It's the same for real people (but unlike soap bars, I still easily end up feeling bad for people). My social skills are pretty much average, apart from the fact that sometimes I don't know what to say, but I think that's just average awkward teenager...

Eh, whatever. Even if I do have asbergers, which again, I don't think I do, it doesn't affect things all that much. I'm me, and I'm not like shockingly abnormal or anything, so why does it matter?

Oh shit, I'm a cupcake now. The post that ranked me up is about asbergers. Awesome.

Edited by HailTrixie
  • Brohoof 1

All it is , is a superpower im part of the xmen or this case a men an elite group of people with autism and we all have powers mine is my singing and knowledge of tv shows video games and music things my friends power is his history knowledge and geography knowledge anima l knowledge an d ability to sing the entire nations of the world song from animainiacs.

• Brohoof 1

I have autism, and a lot of people on FurryMuck and the Ace Combat forums don't seem to understand, they hurl abuse at me. Simply because they think I'm pedantic and facile. The ''Autism is Showing'' joke needs to end.

• Brohoof 1

Never heard that one before, I heard someone call an autistic person a screwball once and one person called one of them crazy, but besides that I see no jokes or making fun of it, though once I did hear about someone calling someone Asperger's an A$$burger Funny thing is though I was watching an episode of Arthur once about one of the characters I forget what his name was to be honest but he has it and George spent the entire episode trying to help him. I didn't Even know I had it a the time so I laughed the whole episode through thinking it would make a great YouTube poops because I've seen a few Arthur YouTube poops . after I rewatched it when I was told I had it I didn't think the YouTube poop idea was to funny.

• Brohoof 1