Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Favorite dog breeds

~Sugar Sprinkles~

Whats everypony's favorite dog breed and why?  :)

For me I choose a Corgi. Why? Because they are the perfect height for me. I like all the dogs, but I prefer medium to small. I dunno, I just always liked them better. Corgis are usually sweet, they are CUTE, and look very playful. My Aunt who used to be a dog trainer and now a vet assistant says they are very good with small children and perfect for the elderly who wants a dog who isnt to say.... a "handful". 

I always insist I WILL get a Corgi when I get my own place.

(edited)

Well, I love all dogs and the quote "my favorite breed is rescued" rings true for me because I'm a huge advocate for adopting shelter animals. All of my dogs, past and current, have been rescues. Most have been mutts, some have been purebred. I think I have to say my favorite breed is your typical mutt, they're always unique individuals! But for the sake of this thread I'll list a few of my favorite purebreeds too:

Siberian Husky: What can I say? Huskies are beautiful! Not only that, they're very intelligent and a blast to have around. But they're not for everyone. They're very high energy, they shed (and 'blow' their coat), they howl, they dig, they have a high prey drive and they should never be left off-leash because they will run, run, run! But if you're ready for all that then huskies are one of the best breeds of dogs you could ever have. I currently have a husky mix (part Siberian husky, part rough collie) and she is amazing. We go on long hikes together practically every day and she's so sweet and gentle with my smaller dogs and my cats (not all huskies/husky mixes will have a predatory drive around cats and small animals, if they're raised around them they can be great friends - such is the case with my girl)

Beagle: Who doesn't love Snoopy? I grew up with beagles and they're just about the sweetest breed of dog around! They tend to love everyone, especially kids. My childhood beagle mixes were a beagle/basenji mix and a beagle/shepherd mix. I must say the basenji is another very unique breed! Very ancient, almost catlike in some ways...and they yodel! But back to the beagle. Beagles make fantastic companions but one should keep in mind that they will "follow their nose" (no copyright infringements intended, Toucan Sam) anywhere so one should always have them on a leash or in a securely fenced yard. I also currently have a beagle and he's absolutely the sweetest.

Miniature Pinscher: Smart dogs! Very, very smart. I wanna say the Jack Russell Terrier is a tie for this place because another of my current dogs is a min pin/jack russell mix and oh man, he is the smartest dog in my pack! He's the "little alpha" for a reason, even my husky mix listens to him. I find it a little ironic that the min pin is known as the "king of toys", because the title "king" is certainly fitting. Also high energy and spunky, min pins are amazing little dogs who don't usually know they're little. Mine sure thinks he's a big dog. I think the combination of his breeds makes for one super intelligent but high energy dog and I love him for it. He's great at agility (we've even done a few courses together) and always eager to join me on my daily exercise routine.

Chihuahua: Alright shove all stereotypes out the window right now, chihuahuas are great little dogs! People that treat them as if they're fashion accessories to dress up don't deserve to have them (and the dogs always suffer for it - often times this is how the "mean yappy little ankle biter" is born) They can be "one person" dogs meaning they'll bond deeply to a particular person and be wary around everyone else (although this can be avoided with proper socialization training) but the fact is this is a very smart, loving breed and can be very playful and active too. My current chihuahua is my little shadow and more than that, he's my therapy dog. He's an amazing little guy and he doesn't let his size hold him back.

Edited by DragonFlyer
  • Brohoof 1

Buryat-Mongol Wolfhounds are definately my favourite. But I can't tell any special stuff about why I like it, that won't fit into description of... well... tons of other breeds! (Big, fluffy, kind, playful, smart etc) :)

English bulldogs!

I really like dogs in general, now, but after getting English bulldogs I don't think I can go back. They are an acquired taste, but they are VERY cute to me now. They have the sweetest personalities! Although they're all very unique.

I love all dogs, but if I had to pick one it would be a shi-tzu. This breed was the only breed I had growing up and over time I grew to love these type of dogs. They are small and don't shed, however they have quite a few problems. My current shi-tzu is allergic to almost every kind of meat; she can only eat this special kind of food with rabbit in it (sorry rabbits :( ). If she eats any meat that she's allergic to, then she'll end up biting her paws and scratching her ears.

This breed is perfect for children and are easy to train. I believe shi-tzu's are one of the best breeds you can get. I can't imagine living without my little dog by my side. (:

(edited)

Mine would be St. Bernard because they are soooo big and adorable  :wub:, they can be a bit clumsy and I find that extremely cute  :yay:. Also Pomeranian  :), they are little cute furballs  :wub:

St. Bernard 

SaintBernard.jpg

Pomeranian: 

Pomeranian_cutout.png

Edited by JonasDarkmane

(edited)

I love all dogs but, if and when I'm able to financially afford to own dogs of my own, I have a few particular breeds in mind.

1. Cavalier King Charles Spaniel

k1r4VrW.jpg

The Cavalier King Charles Spaniel is widely regarded to be one of the most friendly and loving breeds around, and they are also often heralded as the quintessential lapdog of choice.

2. Pug

NBc36uy.png

Let me preface this choice by saying I absolutely do not support the continued inbreeding of the Pug, and I would never purchase one from a breeder. That being said, I still find them incredibly adorable and would adopt one in a heartbeat.

3. Akita

qerl1QB.jpg

My large dog of choice, the Akita is essentially a plus-sized Shiba Inu. Incredibly smart but notoriously stubborn, owning an Akita would be a challenge I'd gladly accept.

Edited by 09thRoad

(edited)

I work as a doggie daycare handler so I've had experience with tons of breeds, some super common, some rare. That said, I love shiba inus and corgis. I got lucky since I adopted a corgi mix and he's the best dog ever. I just have to shed him when it warms up since he got the corgi undercoat.

Next dog I'm definitely rescuing a corgi. I would love a shiba but they're not the right temperament for what I want. They're still super super cute though.

Edited by Duster Dawnhorse

Schnauzers! 

They come in 3 sizes:

Miniature:

post-24411-0-27487800-1431414095.jpg

Standard:

post-24411-0-28105800-1431414111.jpg

Giant:

post-24411-0-84766700-1431414128.jpg

I personally have a Miniature Schnauzer. She is such a sweetie. They are good dogs for people with allergies because they don't shed much. Though, they do need to be taken to the groomer every few months to get their coat trimmed.

I like the look of the Akita and its cousin Shiba Inu, but for personality, I will always love me a rescue pup.

I mean, come on, look at that guilty face.

[S9pA1cF.jpg?2