Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

What does your church teach you?

ManaMinori

How often do you attend religious meetings? What do you learn there (try to be specific, if possible, please).

In my own example, I attend a religious one-on one study, once a week, and attend meetings with the entire congregation twice a week. I learn from the congregational meetings how to act in accordance with the bible, practical teachings that I strive to apply in my own day to day life, as well as how to converse with others, through demonstrations from select people in the congregation, speaking guidelines (annunciation for people to better understand your speech, having a colorful vocabulary to use/ synonyms, for people to not lose interest if you're being repetitive, ect), the benefits of learning foreign languages or phrases to reach people we're witnessing to, if they happen to speak a different language, the benefits of being well-groomed and mannerly in our everyday lives, to portray a good image on people we might be around, the reminders of being considerate to others (for example, being aware of the scents and perfumes we wear that might be a hindrance to others, who may have difficulties with powerful or certain scents) and much more.

• Brohoof 1

I haven't attended church since I was 5 years old so I'd wager that they haven't taught me much.

I used to be a Christian back then but now I'm agnostic, and I firmly believe that people can believe in whatever they want so long as it doesn't negatively effect me, my friends, or my family.

• Brohoof 4

I never attended any church, because i rather want to take destiny into my own hands.

I am agnostic, but if i have to believe in something invisible, that i hope will pick me up after my life is over, into something that's supposed to be better, that kind of stuff is too much speculation for me. I am too much of a realist for this.

I believe in myself....And the money that i earn. :P

• Brohoof 5

(edited)

I no longer go to any church, but I was practically raised in one nondenominational church for most of my life. It was (and is) a huge church; about 20,000 members. Me and my family used to go every Sunday, Thursday, and even to some Wednesdays bible studies. My brother and I volunteered at the children's ministry -- and my mom was a team leader for women's bible study, a personal trainer, and also volunteered at children's ministry (but not all at once). I know, we did a lot of volunteering. :P

The church taught typical Christian doctrine; nothing out of the ordinary. Generally, they taught the cross, grace, love, forgiveness etc. But they mainly stressed grace more than anything else. In youth, I was taught how to witness to friends, not give into peer pressure, being truly sold out for Christ etc. I learned a lot while I was there; and I was a very devoted Christian. Since leaving two years ago, though, I no longer consider myself one. Not because I "fell away," but because I came into some knowledge; and I'll just leave it at that. :) But I still believe the Bible is the word of God and I strive to follow it with all of my heart, soul, and mind.

Addition: I thought I should add for clarity that when I said that I "no longer consider myself one," I was referring to being a Christian. I am still devout to the bible and the things written in it; just no longer to Christian doctrine.

Edited by RainbowJaxs16
  • Brohoof 3

I would attend church every Sunday and I also attend various youth groups and Bible study groups.

What I've been taught is all I need to know. I got taught the old stories of Noah and the Ark and stuff like that. Then I learned about Jesus and how He died for me. Currently, I am trying to learn how He wants me to live my life in service to Him and in service to others.

To be fair though, my church has only taught me the basics of Christianity. I've learned some of the more complicated stuff from friends and personal study :)

• Brohoof 1

I used to go to the church when I was younger. They taught me the old stories and stuff. These days I dont go there anymore because I didnt feel comfortable there when the kids there were making fun of me. I am still christian and I believe. 

Though I can say that I've learned more without going in church than going.

• Brohoof 1

I no longer visit church, but I used to when I was younger.

I remember the church teaching us to be good citizens and to care anout one another.

I don't go to church... I'm Jewish :3

My Rabbi talks a lot about current issues. For example, last Passover, on our seder plate we didn't just have the traditional maror (bitter herb) and egg and stuff, but also a Fair Trade chocolate bar, because she wanted to discuss child labor going on in Africa and how many big chocolate companies employ child labor.

...Yeah. My religious life.

I'm not a christian though I do attend spiritual gatherings/ceremonies every so often when they are available in my community.  Last one I went to was a rain dance ceremony.  I guess I kinda feel like pow-wows can also be a little spiritual, especially when you feel the drums inside of you :squee:.

• 7 years later...

My family stopped going to church sometime in my teens. For that I am glad. TBH, I found it so boring that I spent church services daydreaming. Combine that with the fact that it's been 15+ years since I attended, I don't really remember very well what my churches taught. My childhood church was a Disciples of Christ church and my early-mid teens church was Methodist. They are pretty liberal denominations and I'm glad for that. Although I think what pushed my parents away from the Methodist church of my early teens was that they were too conservative.

The last time I attended a church service of any kind was six years ago where I went to a church of my close friend's. To be honest, I was very disturbed by it. Too disturbed and saddened to be bored. It was a branch of Calvinism and the sermon that day was about how self-esteem is bad, and what one accomplishes is God's accomplishment, not their own. It certainly helped me understand my friend, who has always been such a kind, good person (one of the few Christians like that I have ever met, TBH). She has done so much for me, but she would never believe it when I told her and this helped me understand. =(

• Brohoof 1

I go to church every Sunday morning unless something unavoidable prevents me from doing so. Going to church gives me focus and helps me to apply something greater than myself to the life I’m trying to live. Having a quiet and reflective time is so important; now more than ever, because everything in life is an endless cacophony of noise and impulse and it does a person no good to avoid inward contemplation. Quiet thought and useful advice builds intelligence, perspective, positivity and strength. One of my favorite parts of the Mass is the Homily because it helps me to apply the teachings of Gospel to my own life and keeps me on the right track. I can’t imagine life without this beacon to focus on; I’d be absolutely desolate and empty.

• 2 months later...

I don’t really believe 80% or 90% give or take, on what the church taught me anymore. I still go because it’s more being dragged you know? Family. Two thing church taught me that stuck to me is prayers works and be good and serve others. Pffft god what good did that lesson teach me? Let’s see, pray and hope for the best but end up nothing but disappointments. So I stopped. Serving others? Please don’t get me started, they didn’t teach me the part  “nice guy finish last.” Love people. They taught me to love my neighbors and your god first but never tells me to love myself first. And people wonder why am being so spiteful to them? Don’t get me wrong, while I cut myself off from religion, that doesn’t mean I agreed with these idiots no sayers who BS on religions for dumb reasons. I have my own personal reasons but just because I cut myself off, doesn’t mean religions are bad. Only its people.

• Brohoof 1

My family never was involved with the church and neither will I be. I see zero appeal in Church / Religious gatherings. Only time I was ever inside of a church was for funerals. My mind is my own church - and I'll come to my own conclusions on reality on my own terms. I don't need some scripture telling me what to think or what to believe. I am my own man and I don't need that. I tend to view the idea of it all in a distinctly negative light. As time goes on, I am glad I was never involved in that kind of a thought process either.