Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Does Rainbow Dash really need rainbows?

KillerKingBakudan

If a pony used magic to suck all the color out of her mane, tail and cutie mark (and thus the contrails she leaves behind when flying at warp speed or doing a sonic rainboom), would it really affect her all that much? She's still one of Equestria's fastest flyers, so does her talent make color necessary, or could she do without it?

If you mean the situations where a villain causes her to go all pale (about 3 so far), that's because she's having all of her magic, and part of her soul, sucked out, which leaves her incapable of doing pretty much anything. The same also goes for the rest of the ponies.

If you mean literally removing the dye from her fur and hair, I doubt that'd do more than make her all white, and I don't think it's possible to remove the rainbow trail without removing the magic mentioned above.

Her color is just a visual tool to emphasize her speed and agility. Taking her colors alone wouldn't slow her down but she would definitely look less cool. Rainbow Dash ain't about that.

• Brohoof 1

When was it established that her character design makes her faster?

I'm talking about her flying ability in terms of showmanship, not how fast she is. If her cutie mark is a rainbow-colored lighting bolt, that begs the question of how her performance would be impacted if someone converted her magic to greyscale, as well as her outer appearance. Does she need color? That's all I'm asking.

I am thinking that her cutie mark means that her special talent is making sonic rainbooms and it was always an old mare's tale until she did it and it became real.

Also, I guess that draining the color out of her mane and tail would not stop her from doing the sonic rainboom. The only difference would be that it would be just in grayscale instead of a bright rainbow.

Her color is just a visual tool to emphasize her speed and agility. Taking her colors alone wouldn't slow her down but she would definitely look less cool. Rainbow Dash ain't about that.

That's understandable. But what if instead of gray, her rainbows got replaced by a monochromatic palette? Her coat's already a sky blue, so if her mane and tail were changed so they had different shades of blue, and the trails she left behind matched, it could still probably look cool to any pony watching her performances. Would not having rainbows still matter to her then?

That's understandable. But what if instead of gray, her rainbows got replaced by a monochromatic palette? Her coat's already a sky blue, so if her mane and tail were changed so they had different shades of blue, and the trails she left behind matched, it could still probably look cool to any pony watching her performances. Would not having rainbows still matter to her then?

Well her name is RAINBOW Dash, so I think she would probably care at least a little bit. The color scheme you're suggesting doesn't sound very exciting but rather generic for a pony with her personality and abilities. Not to mention she'd be pretty hard to spot against a clear blue sky, camouflaged almost and RD likes to stand out.

• 3 weeks later...

It appears that different pegasi, or at least the ones known for going fast, have their own trails. The wonderbolts have theirs, RD has hers, and her rival at the wonderbolt academy Lightning Dust.

:confused: No, I don't think she cares about colors.

I don't recall her saying she likes colors or rainbows. I don't think that would affect her.

No. RD can fly faster than most ponies, with or without rainbows. The rainbows are related to what made her stand out of the pack: her sonic rainboom. If she didn't perform it, she would probably fly as fast as most competitor pegasi. In no case does changing a color affect an object's maximum velocity.

• 6 years later...

Yes, Rainbows are part of her identity. It's in her name

One massive missed opportunity with the show was an episode addressing what would happen if she lost all of her colors or if they split

• Brohoof 2

This sounds to me like a "is cereal a soup?" type debate.

But if you want my opinion, cosider this: 

"Does Pinkie Pie really need pink?" Sure, it may be part of her namesake, but I'm inclined to think most people will say not really.

In the same way, I'd say that Rainbow Dash is still Rainbow Dash without rainbows.

As they always say, it's not what's on the outside that matters.

• Brohoof 2

Yes, Rainbow Dash does need rainbows. I've never seen another cartoon character who makes rainbows look so cool. Without it, rainbows would just be that trying-to-hard-to-be-cutesy trend that every other girls show has used at least once.

• Brohoof 1