Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

health How are you with getting your blood drawn?

ThePoniMan

(edited)

Title says it all

So I have a nice little story to tell. Recently, I haven't been feeling well in terms of energy, especially after school. I would just completely crash. My mom decided that it would be important to get bloodwork done just to make sure there were no underlying causes. I should mention that I have a phobia of needles inside me as well as seeing my own blood getting taken out.

When we arrived at the place for the procedure, I was really nervous. I was told to sit in a chair, and I saw the lady get the needle ready. Me being afraid, I turned my head and closed my eyes as I felt the needle enter my arm. Slowly, she filled her viles with my blood, and near the end, the area with the needle started to burn. She told me that we were done, and I felt the needle come out. I wasn't feeling too well and she told me to put my head down if I wanted to, and apparently, according to her and my mom, I passed out for a good 10 seconds... When I finally came to, I was really sweaty, nauseous and dizzy. It was the first time that I ever actually passed out, but after some cold towels were placed on my neck and I took a few sips of water I was back to normal. I have to admit, it was a weird experience.

Anyway, I hope the tests come back okay :)

mod edit - Jeric.

Feel free to share you experiences and feelings in needles and having blood drawn.

Edited by The Wife of Levi
  • Brohoof 6

Gotta say, you are a lot braver than me. Then again nearly everyone in existence is, getting blood drawn is one of those things that is nearly impossible for me to do. The whole idea of it makes me shiver. o_o It also makes me have nervous twitches just thinking about it...

Still though, that's cool that it went well for you, my brother recently had to have this stuff done twice, though he never seems to mind anything like that. Me and him are polar opposites in the fear factor. :P

• Brohoof 3

(edited)

Passing out is a blast, huh? Blegh. I only get my blood drawn when I have no choice. I can't stand needles at all. Especially intravenous. I got hives the last time I had to have surgery.

I'm sure the tests will come back fine, hun. <3

Edited by x0jackie0x

(edited)

I've got mine done plenty of times, i hate it; but it has to be done. Though i hate it when the assistant doesn't even know what she's doing and asks for help, rookies.

Hey everypony, I have a nice little story to tell. Recently, I haven't been feeling well in terms of energy, especially after school. I would just completely crash. My mom decided that it would be important to get bloodwork done just to make sure there were no underlying causes. I should mention that I have a phobia of needles inside me as well as seeing my own blood getting taken out.

When we arrived at the place for the procedure, I was really nervous. I was told to sit in a chair, and I saw the lady get the needle ready. Me being afraid, I turned my head and closed my eyes as I felt the needle enter my arm. Slowly, she filled her viles with my blood, and near the end, the area with the needle started to burn. She told me that we were done, and I felt the needle come out. I wasn't feeling too well and she told me to put my head down if I wanted to, and apparently, according to her and my mom, I passed out for a good 10 seconds... When I finally came to, I was really sweaty, nauseous and dizzy. It was the first time that I ever actually passed out, but after some cold towels were placed on my neck and I took a few sips of water I was back to normal. I have to admit, it was a weird experience.

Anyway, I hope the tests come back okay :)

At least you don't have to get one to the knee or anywhere else, that would be a lot worse. 

Edited by Candy Star
  • Brohoof 1

I've got mine done plenty of times, i hate it; but it has to be done. Though i hate it when the assistant doesn't even know what she's doing and asks for help, rookies.

At least you don't have to get one to the knee or anywhere else, that would be a lot worse. 

The knee sounds... horrifying. Now, I didn't have blood drawn there, BUT I had to get a shot of novacaine in the roof of my mouth when I went up to get my wisdom teeth taken out. I swear, Hell hath no greater pain. T o T

• Brohoof 1

The knee sounds... horrifying. Now, I didn't have blood drawn there, BUT I had to get a shot of novacaine in the roof of my mouth when I went up to get my wisdom teeth taken out. I swear, Hell hath no greater pain. T o T

You got the there.  :) I got nothing else.

I've had five blood tests in the last month, and countless before that.

While in hospital, after I was in a coma for two days, I had no less than six needles in me at once. A pair for blood pressure, another pair to measure the amount of oxygen in my blood, and the last were there to monitor the nutrients. two in each hand, and one in each arm.

I have grown used to needles.

@, You got a shot on the top of your mouth?! That must have really hurt :o When I got my wisdom teeth out, they put me out before numbing my mouth, which was nowhere near as bad as getting my blood drawn. They put the IV in and then next thing you know I was waking up with a really numb mouth filled with cotton and blood.

I remember donating blood back in High School for the first time. I did not think nothing of it at the time and thought it was going to be a breeze. I felt anxious as soon as I hit the chair. The worst part about it though is when they first inject the needle into your vein and you feel in go inside. You're sitting there wondering when they are going to be done and it just seems to be taking longer and longer. I remember them giving me that squishy ball that I had to pump while taking my blood. To me that was the worst part because your sitting there feeling the needle move around while your doing that. After it was all done I was on an empty stomach and nearly passed out due to the lack of sugar I guess. 

I think it is awesome to donate blood to others just the process is not that pleasant. 

@, You got a shot on the top of your mouth?! That must have really hurt :o When I got my wisdom teeth out, they put me out before numbing my mouth, which was nowhere near as bad as getting my blood drawn. They put the IV in and then next thing you know I was waking up with a really numb mouth filled with cotton and blood.

I've had surgery (all minor, but still) since I was like, 3 years old, about 13 total. I actually chose to stay awake during my wisdom teeth removal because I get nauseous at the mere sight of an IV. x'D Actually sticking me with one makes me break out in hives and I've even thrown up a couple of times.

Now, It WAS interesting watching them hammer away at my teeth. I didn't feel a damn thing.

• Brohoof 1

I've got my blood drawn out of my body too and it's because I was falling asleep randomly in school and they thought It was a blood sugar problem and I still don't know why it is happening to me and I get enough sleep every night but the nurse was surprised that I didn't even scream

• Brohoof 1

I've got my blood drawn out of my body too and it's because I was falling asleep randomly in school and they thought It was a blood sugar problem and I still don't know why it is happening to me and I get enough sleep every night but the nurse was surprised that I didn't even scream

Maybe its narcolepsy? : / I bet the teacher gets annoyed.

I'm glad you made it through, even though you passed out.

The first time I got my blood drawn, the nurse said, "This won't hurt a bit!" and then jabbed the thing into my arm. I had a huge bruise once it was done. I've managed to be pretty calm when I get blood drawn now. I just joke around with the nurse and don't look at what's actually happening.

Sometimes I get lollipops out of it for being a good girl.

I like lollipops.

• Brohoof 1

I'm glad you made it through, even though you passed out.

The first time I got my blood drawn, the nurse said, "This won't hurt a bit!" and then jabbed the thing into my arm. I had a huge bruise once it was done. I've managed to be pretty calm when I get blood drawn now. I just joke around with the nurse and don't look at what's actually happening.

Sometimes I get lollipops out of it for being a good girl.

I like lollipops.

Some of these people don't even know how to draw blood properly. The last guy to do it left my arm sore for days. Dx

Lollipopssss yum 

Yea they do! They even dropped a book on my desk lol

It'll be funny when you show them a doctor's note with the diagnosis. "See? I CAN sleep in class!"

• Brohoof 1

It'll be funny when you show them a doctor's note with the diagnosis. "See? I CAN sleep in class!"

Nah they will probably give me some medication to take or somewhat but it only happens during school, so it might be my brain shutting down because my step mom and dad and sis and bro all drive me nuts to a point that I've developed a sleeping disorder

• Brohoof 1

Nah they will probably give me some medication to take or somewhat but it only happens during school, so it might be my brain shutting down because my step mom and dad and sis and bro all drive me nuts to a point that I've developed a sleeping disorder

Oh, do you not sleep well at home? : (

I get my blood drawn on a regular basis. It's routine to me, now. When I first started having health issues, I wasn't keen on the idea of having my blood drawn, either. After the first time or so, it wasn't so bad. But when I first started having my blood drawn regularly, I was a bit smaller at 12 years old. They used a butterfly needle when I first started having it done. It's a much smaller needle and it's connected to a tube, so you don't feel them switching out the vacutainers. It's not possible for all tests because a smaller needle means that it can break up some of the blood cells and you can't get an accurate test, depending on the test. However, if you ever need blood drawn again, it might be worth it to ask if it's possible to have them use a butterfly needle.

Aside from that, when having blood drawn for tests, they usually don't take that much. It might depend on how many tests you're having done, but it's usually only a few ounces at most. Compare to when they draw blood for donations, when they take a pint. Occasionally, I've felt a little woozy after having blood drawn, usually when I was already tired. Living with a phobia of my own, I understand that your reaction may not be something within your control. However, if possible, it might be helpful to try some relaxation techniques in the future, so you don't end up passing out. My go-to thing is breathing, but there are a lot of techniques for relaxation that you can look up and try for yourself in a more controlled situation. Honestly, I found that half the reason I was so anxious when I was around bugs (my phobia) was because I'd stop breathing when faced with one and I didn't even realize it. Again, it's just to help you not pass out if you ever need blood drawn in the future. It's just a thought but you're free to do as you wish, of course.

Anyway, hope your tests come back fine and you eventually find what's making you so lethargic. Best of luck! :)

(edited)

The only time I've had blood drawn was at my last doctor's visit. Apparently I have veins that move when a needle is poked in (rolling veins) so the doctor spent the entire time just stabbing me over and over again and I nearly blacked out from how disgusting getting some of my life juice drained from me was. Annnnddd....that's how I found out I have pretty bad anemia to the point where my doctor called me and told me to and I quote "Start eating now." lol.

I do hope your tests come back lovely, best of luck, yeah.

Edited by Bayonetta

(edited)

So...I'm terrified of needles....I don't think I need to explain, nor do I want to...but to make it worse, with my low blood pressure I'm pretty sure, all the past times I had blood drawn, I would loss my eyesight and everything would go fuzzy for about a minute or so...but it feels like forever...so yeah....needles are fun....  

good luck on your results

Edited by Humble Hymn

I've had it drawn a few times. It's honestly not as traumatic as you'd think it sounds. There's no pain, and any sensation you get while the needle's in your arm (or wherever else you get shots) only lasts for a few seconds.