Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

health How are you with getting your blood drawn?

ThePoniMan

I've got my blood drawn out of my body too and it's because I was falling asleep randomly in school and they thought It was a blood sugar problem and I still don't know why it is happening to me and I get enough sleep every night but the nurse was surprised that I didn't even scream

Maybe it's something to do with your diet? Maybe you're low on carbohydrates? I don't know, just guessing!

I had problems similar to this in school where I'd just feel tired all day and suffer weakness and dizziness. They thought I may have anemia so I had blood drawn for that. Needles really make me cringe so I dreaded it. >.< Turns out it wasn't so bad. 10/10 would bleed again.

It's honestly not as traumatic as you'd think it sounds. There's no pain, and any sensation you get while the needle's in your arm (or wherever else you get shots) only lasts for a few seconds.

That seems to be what a lot of people say, so I tried to conquer my fear by just doing it, knowing that I would have to eventually. I'm not sure if it was just the wrong place at the wrong time or if it was some individual thing wrong with me, but as we got closer to finishing, the spot where the needle was started to burn more than it did when it was first inserted :(

But everyone, don't take that as a certainty, because a lot of people claim that it feels like nothing :)

(edited)

That seems to be what a lot of people say, so I tried to conquer my fear by just doing it, knowing that I would have to eventually. I'm not sure if it was just the wrong place at the wrong time or if it was some individual thing wrong with me, but as we got closer to finishing, the spot where the needle was started to burn more than it did when it was first inserted :(

But everyone, don't take that as a certainty, because a lot of people claim that it feels like nothing :)

I guess you're right. It all depends on personal experience, really. Also, I wasn't trying to say "Oi mateys, this is my experience and you have to agree with me."; I was only going along with my experience. If you want to believe it hurts, that's fine.

Edited by Blackened

I've had five major surgeries, one minor and it's gotten to the point where I don't even feel the needles anymore. I used to be incredibly afraid of needles because of an attempt at allergy treatment when I was younger (didn't work at all), but since then the only time they've affected me was during red blood cell donation (they draw blood, cycle out the cells, warm the remainder, and pump it back in).

I was scared the first time I got my blood took'en but the worst time I had was when the nurse messed up...5 times how do you miss a vein that many times my arm was sore stiff.

• Brohoof 1

Really? When I had first gotten blood drawn it went like this:

Me, being a huge crier, started getting nervous and a little weepy. The doctor told me to look to my right (where she wasn't putting the needle), then to count to three. After 3, the needle was in my arm for 30 seconds - 1 minute. It didn't really hurt after that.

But my tetanus shot? Whole 'nother story.  

I feel ya! I'm super scared of needles and I get really really anxious when I have to get blood drawn. It stinks cause most times I faint because I just don't do needles! :P

I'm totally oblivious to the concept of fainting. 

The only time I did not control my awareness that was anesthesia before the operation. 

What's it like? 

And yeah, needles feel like nothing for me, if a person doing it actually knows how to do it. 

If not, then it hurts a little. 

(edited)

UPDATE:
Everything came back fine from the blood test... Everything is looking pretty good, except I had a panic attack when I arrived at the place...

Edited by ThePoniMan

• 7 years later...

Me? I hate it!!! I hate when they tell me it's not gonna hurt and I'm like "Bullcrap it won't!" and then I move on accident cause my autism causes me to fidget and then boom! They have to stick me again and I'm like "Why in the name of Celestia am I so dumb?" sometimes bad things like that happen in my head with my OCs. I'm weird, I hurt my OCs alot in my head... 

Also I want to scream out but they tell me to settle down and I'm sitting there like, "Excuse me but why?" It infuriates me! >:( 

I get my blood drawn every month AT LEAST, lol,  and I am covered in tattoos to lol, needles don't bother me one bit, I would never get anything pierced as I think piercings look awful, but I am used to it, usually have a hard time finding my veins to, so it takes 3-4 stabs, blood all over the place, xD but yeah I can't fathom being weirded out by needles, the only needle I know isn't going anywhere near me for a fact is one attached to a Covid vaccine syringe, you can keep that shit away from me lol

• The title was changed to How are you with getting your blood drawn?
  • This topic was locked and unlocked

I have always had a fear of needles. It started as a child.

I oftentimes faint when getting blood drawn but I sometimes get lucky and just come close to fainting lol

This is basically me leading up to my blood getting drawn, at least mentally:

social-distance-scared.gif

I absolutely hate needles, and they make me so nervous. The feeling of having needles in/under my skin literally just... weirds me out.

I'm good with it now. I even look at the needle as it goes in. Not a fan of butterfly needles though. The retractable ones are way better, as they withdraw with a push of a button, instead of the phlebotomist having to do his/her best to remove it without it wiggling out of place in the case of butterfly needles. I used to get really nervous about blood drawings though. But I'm way over that now. 

After becoming chronically ill, I've just gotten so used to it. I've been stuck with needles so many times over the past four years. lol I remember prior to that I was terrified of them. It turns out that it really depends on who is doing the blood work. Some are amazing and it doesn't even hurt, some are more rough. Regardless, it's never a particularly pleasant experience. I look away.

Completely unwilling. Unfortunately I have to get it done every six months like clockwork. Sucks to suck. No problem with needles, I got tattoos and piercings, shots, no problem. Butterfly needle? Oh hell no.

• 2 months later...