Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Does anyone else miss Windows XP

Trine

I mean when corporation didn't try to control users with for example ... Xbox 360 basically showing your e-mail when you logon. Or Windows 8 where you have to have an outlook account to login.

Just curious if people feel the same way? That privacy is sorta pushed away to publicity.

flush-dns-windows-xp-step-3.jpg

• Brohoof 4

No. Windows XP is an outdated piece of shit. It was good in 2001, but it's 2015. It lacks too many modern security, hardware and software optmization features to make it truly viable in today's world.

• Brohoof 9

I MISS IT SO MUCH. As for security, it was great! Buuuut Microsoft just recently ended support about a year ago. I would kill to go back to it, with available support of course. Hell, I learned how to be an IT off of XP.

• Brohoof 4

My mom still has XP on her old desktop.  It ran well enough when she first bought it but now it runs like absolute garbage.

I just prefer the speed and reliability of Windows 7 and 8 over the older ones.  Even though some of the older ones had features that I preferred.

• Brohoof 1

My mom still has XP on her old desktop.  It ran well enough when she first bought it but now it runs like absolute garbage.

I just prefer the speed and reliability of Windows 7 and 8 over the older ones.  Even though some of the older ones had features that I preferred.

Arg... :P

Its just that i basically have no choice now. I have installed Windows 7 for some days ago. But the problem is if i for example watch a video for too long or something the laptop will crash, apparently there is some CPU bug problem, maybe its the driver or something which i have installed older driver of Win 7 and tried some Win 8 driver on Win 7 but it just wont work. It has a window lag function on basic but kinda stops that on Aero settings. GPU works nice, CPU on the other hand... meh.

Well atleast i can make start meny the same as it was in the old windows with a little help of a program.

http://www.classicshell.net/

• Brohoof 1

XP was great.  I think my favorite Windows is 7, though.  I'm really scared about what the future holds, though.  What if Windows 9, which is apparently called Windows 10, is a piece of putrid fecal matter like 8?  What'll I do?  I guess if that's the case, it'll finally be time to learn Linux, something I should have done a long time ago.

• Brohoof 2

(edited)

I do sometimes, but only because they had the WMM with a easy to use timeline. Now i'm stuck having to guess where to time my videos at which points i need. But then again, my videos quality were 360p at that time. Now that i have Win 8.1, they quality has risen to 1080p(HD)

Edited by Candy Star

Here's a little story. It doesn't focus on WinXP completely, but it is built around my old PC.

Windows XP has a special place reserved in my heart. I used the legacy Operating System for 10 years. That's 77% of my lifetime. I learnt how to use a computer, what I could create with one, and just how much I loved to use one on that OS. It was installed on an E-Machines tower that was purchased in 2004. I remember building the desk from a kit with my mother. She explained what an Operating System was and I asked if I could help set it up. Revision 1 of the PC was born, and it lasted 7 years. In that time, I began to understand how to use a computer, and little innocent me created some wonderful things. In 2008, my mother left to live with my stepdad 200 miles away. It was the most difficult time of my life. Something snapped in my poor little brain back then, and I went semi-mental. I began using the PC for malicious reasons, and it was over-used to say the least. The PC was forced to calculate things it simply wasn't capable of, and it died in 2011. It was put in my attic. My grandmothers computer of the same model also died, this time from a rootkit and eventually a fried motherboard. It was placed next to mine in the attic. Both had Windows XP Professional. Last year, when I had just about recovered from my intense trauma, I took both of them down and combined the working parts into one. 4 Revisions of the OS were installed and eventually the first 3 all failed in some way. Revision 4 is what I used for a whole year. The operating system lasted for 10 years and I have never wanted to change it. Almost all of my computing memories involved WinXP. I still use it today. 2 weeks ago, the computer was laid to rest and has retaken its place in my attic. Windows XP is an amazing OS and even though Microsoft has ended support, thousands of computers still run it. It was so simple to use, so fast and so stable. Even though it ran for 10 years, I never had a problem with it. I really wish Microsoft stop messing around with the disastrous Win10 and Metro and give us something beautiful again. Windows 7 was the last operating system by them that I have used. I will never use anything past that until they abandon the metro system. But yeah, Windows XP for the win. :lol:

@Justin_Case001 - Agreed. Oh, and windows 10 is worse in my opinion than 8. At least 8 looked nice. And if you're learning Linux, learn Ubuntu. Nothing I have ever used has beaten it. There is a reason it's the most popular. Just a suggestion of course :lol:

• Brohoof 1

Not even a little. For the average user all it takes to get used to a new OS is to use it. Find what you need out of it and just use it regularly. Eventually you'll forget that old systems even existed. For this reason I just use whatever my current laptop has on it. Right now I have one laptop that's using Vista and one that's using 8. I don't actually see much difference between the two. I get all the functionality I usually get out of both.

For the majority of my young life I was stuck with a crappy shit computer that ran XP. But then my family realized that it was an old monitor with a newer modem. *facehoof*

I got a Toshiba laptop with Windows 7....STARTER. I hate the starter version so much. I might get 7 full.

With 7 starter, you can't even change the background wallpaper without having to download extra BS. >_>

And that extra BS made it run slow, so I had to take it off. :eww:

But now I'm at home where we have a desktop with Windows XP that works like a f8cking charm. B)

Seriously, it works great.

Now as far as other Windows, you can skip me on that. But to me it seems XP is and oldie but goodie thing. ^_^

Nope, it looked like someone who didn't know how to design things made it, it looks hideous. Plus it's not updated enough to actually be of some decent use nowadays.

At least Windows 8/8.1 look nice.

This attitude people have with using an outdated, insecure operating system worries me. Here, how about if we go over some of its problems?

• No TRIM support. SSDs are becoming more and more popular as boot devices or even the only storage device in computers as they're faster than standard mechanical drives. However, with no TRIM support, these advantages go away. SSDs in a computer with an OS with no TRIM support are just as slow as mechanical drives, if not slower, and with a finite number of writes to boot!
  • Security. Windows XP security is a pile of shit. As an example, every new account you create is given administrator privileges. There's also no prompt telling you "Hey, this thing is trying to install this, is this okay?" (You may call that annoying, but really, it does actually make things more secure and keeps you more aware of what's being installed on your system.) You can probably see where this is going. It was also vulnerable to a number of exploits and malware, including some of the most prolific malware in history, such as the Sasser worm. Things got so bad at one point the United States federal government had to step in and tell people not to use, say, the bundled Internet Explorer 6, due to security concerns. SP2 added in a pretty basic software firewall to the OS, but honestly? I'd rather rely on the AVG firewall than that, and the AVG firewall is bad. Firewalls in later versions of Windows are actually pretty good, but the XP SP2 one was awful.
  • Speed. Windows XP is slow and bloated compared to later versions of Windows. Poor RAM management, poor processor resource management, takes a long time to complete even something like changing the IP address (something Windows 7 and above does in seconds, Windows XP can take up to a minute to do) or log in. There was also no proper support for later, faster technologies like SATA, instead only properly supporting IDE, which was still widely used when XP was released. 64-bit versions were released in 2005, but they still suffered from the same problems as the 32-bit version, throwing in worse driver support just for good measure.

Your nostalgia may want you to cling onto it for dear life, but honestly, don't use Windows XP as your main OS anymore. It's good for 2001, but that was 14 years ago. You wouldn't use a security suite from 2001 in 2015, so why would you use an operating system from 2001 in 2015?

And no, just because Google Chrome and a few other applications like that are still supporting XP until 2016 doesn't mean you are secure. The OS itself still is pretty insecure.

• Brohoof 4

Nah, I don't see any reason to miss it. I can't think of anything that Windows 7 does that I like less? I don't know... Just not really opinionated on the matter, I guess.

Heck yeah! :(  

My first computer ran Windows XP, Pentium 4 with 512 mb ram, ridiculously slow today but back in it's hayday it was the envy of my friends. I still have it and while its not in use I run a linux distribution called Q4OS to help speed things along a bit whenever I do happen to use it ^.^

• Brohoof 1

The only Microsoft OS aside from Seven that I could bear to work with. We always had an Apple computer in the household when I was growing up, and I have carried that trend over to my independent life, as well. Still, I owned a PC for a couple of years purely for gaming purposes.

(edited)

Just installed Windows 8.1 now..

Yup. It seem to go better now, i haven't installed a video card driver yet, but it doesn't lag with window, and i feel safe listened and watching videos without crashing. Although that "Classic Shell" is a really nice tool. If that was at the beginning i don't think people would complain on this OS. I can even deactivate the hot corner, so it feels like a newer version of Windows 7.

Very helpful..

And i can even make it look like XP.

Edited by Trine

Honestly no; it was fine in the day and I have little complaints with it aside from some crashes, but OS-X is my new love in regards to OS.  :wub:

• Brohoof 1

(edited)

Yes and no, I miss it because I miss how easy and user friendly it was while still being able to meet most of my needs and that is exactly why so many people are nostalgic about Windows XP. I do however agree that XP is outdated though that dosen't mean that there weren't some useful features that could be updated and used in future operating systems. Microsoft really nailed it with XP and there is no reason why they couldn't repeat that with future operating systems while of course updating things to modern standards.

Windows Vista sucked and Windows 7 was okay though I hated the fact that I had to pay for certain programs and applications that I didn't on XP so I pirated and found alternate versions of a ton of stuff to avoid that. Windows 8 has that same problem though with the added problem of making things needlessly complicated. Windows 8.1 is way better than regular 8 though with most of the complication issues addressed and I don't know how the next one will be but I hope that Microsoft listens to its customers.

Edited by Darth Bane
  • Brohoof 2