Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Does anyone else miss Windows XP

Trine

I had XP for ages, even downgraded from Vista because I preferred it.

But I don’t miss Windows XP.

Since the XP downgrade which was super ages ago now, I got a new PC which came with Windows 7  which was also ages ago and that’s been fine and I’ve had no problems. Apart from the odd cosmetic change it’s pretty much like being on XP all over again anyway.

The only thing I don’t like about 7 and like more on XP is the icons of the programmes open that appear on the start menu, I prefer the old rectangles and have mine set more like that.

• Brohoof 1

(edited)

Not a single bit. Well, aside from running some old things in virtual machine once in a long while.

I actually regard Win8 as old and outdated. 

Windows 10, living on the blunt side (Slow update circle) of the bleeding edge. 

Would be using Linux if it weren't for the derpy BIOS 

Edited by LunarWave

No. Windows XP is an outdated piece of shit. It was good in 2001, but it's 2015. It lacks too many modern security, hardware and software optmization features to make it truly viable in today's world.

This. 

But my nostalgic side of me misses it. I still use Win 7 and I love it.

I miss the GUI mostly. There is too much stuff you don't need in 8. Hopefully 10 will correct some of that.

Dont get your hopes up. 

Voice controls built-in, bing search from the start menu...  :comeatus:

Dont get your hopes up. 

Voice controls built-in, bing search from the start menu...  :comeatus:

They sound disableable. My biggest problem with 8 was that the most annoying parts couldn't be turned off. Now that Metro will be more optional than before, I think I can hammer 10 into something half decent.

I do miss the simplified start menu and the Luna theme (yes. That was the name) wasn't too bad.

Personally I like windows 7 a lit better. It feels simpler and more "light weight" an it's easier to use, for me.

I do miss Windows XP, since I was a kind when it was new and cool, had a bunch of computers through the years with it installed until 2008, when my family started replacing the old desktop(s) we had with 1 laptop for each of us. I was unlucky and ended up with Windows Vista for about 3 years. I also do have a lot of fond memories of the OS, from gaming to school work to the internet back then, and I occasionally revisit XP through the use of Virtual Machines. But I will admit, as much as I miss XP and as much as it clearly has a special place in me for being a part of my childhood, I wouldn't put it on a dedicated laptop and try to regularly use it today, its security is too out of date, can be slow at times and Microsoft no longer supports it.

In other words, its nostalgic to me, but I'm not letting my nostalgia blind me from its flaws.

• Brohoof 1

• 3 years later...

Actually, I do. Windows XP is amazing with older scientific instruments, especially if such equipment utilizes parallel ports. Just keep the system off the internet.

• Brohoof 1

I kind of do. Windows XP was actually a rather nice OS for the time. Sure, I'd rather have my Windows 7 computer now due to XP not running certain things, plus Microsoft and the d***s they are basically ABANDON operating systems they consider to be too old. Now that they're doing that with Windows 7, I think my next computer's going to be Apple because I can't stand Windows any more. Windows 10 is a horrible piece of s***, and it's quite saddening they're almost FORCING people into it.

• 3 weeks later...

I grew up with Windows XP, so naturally I have a lot of nostalgia towards it. Yeah, it's inferior to everything that came after it, but the memories make miss the simpler times.

Edited by Kaibah

• 2 months later...

I'm....a bit too young to remember that. :adorkable: I didn't even start using computers until I was preteen age, anyway. My knowledge of Windows is fairly new.

Edited by Lucky Bolt
  • Brohoof 1