Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Does anyone else miss Windows XP

Trine

• 8 months later...
1 minute ago, Deerie said:

Yes, minus the virus 😆

:ButtercupLaugh: You actually remember the viruses.

MS Blaster and Sasser. They really made Windows XP impossible to use until Service Pack 2 came out and fixed the problems!

latest?cb=20170424192344

I still have an old laptop that runs XP to play some old games on, but for the most part, I enjoy the modern operating systems far more simply due to how much better they work with modern software and hardware.

3 minutes ago, CypherHoof said:

Nope, I was sad I had to give up Windows 2000 and go to a crayon-based operating system.....

Why is it always you that bring me into/remind me of my Windows obsession!?

Windows 2000 was more stylish and had a big impact. But Windows XP had the speed and support that Windows 2000 just couldn't keep up with!

Edited by Splashee

I miss 3D buttons. Win 10 doesn't have that, it's all "arty farty" flat ...

Loved XP, hated Vista. But grew to like Vista, especially the semi-transparent windows style.

Hated Win 10 (I skipped everything in between), but have since got used to it.

I still have my first laptop with XP on (and have been given another one! So now I've got two), and another with Vista on, that one also has all my old Visual Basic projects that won't compile on Win 10 so is rather essential that I preserve it.

• Brohoof 1

If we're going right back, I can remember Windows 3, was the first I'd used. Then we got Windows 95 (at work, but was a Beta so could use it at home), I still think it had the best Windows search I've ever used. I'm sure it could search contents of files even tho they didn't have the more familiar text file extensions. Later windows wouldn't unless they "looked like" text files. In fact I copied that search window for use in one of my programs and I still use that part of it now even in Windows 10!

• Brohoof 1

6 minutes ago, Tropical Melody said:

If we're going right back, I can remember Windows 3, was the first I'd used. Then we got Windows 95 (at work, but was a Beta so could use it at home), I still think it had the best Windows search I've ever used. I'm sure it could search contents of files even tho they didn't have the more familiar text file extensions. Later windows wouldn't unless they "looked like" text files. In fact I copied that search window for use in one of my programs and I still use that part of it now even in Windows 10!

Did you ever spend any time in Qbasic?

I never got a chance to live thoug the Windows 95 betas (Chicago), but the Windows 98 betas (Memphis) was fantastic times!

Yes briefly! Might still have it somewhere, not sure. :D

Here, just for giggles, a screen grab of my Windows 95 lookalike search box – written (and not necesarily terribly well) with Visual Basic 5.0 (1997) :

51994086_Annotation2020-01-09173145.png.1eb483da29c0d748c72d452543b522fc.png

This thing is used almost daily I use it for updating backups and moving files between different computers.

• Brohoof 2

• 3 weeks later...

I still have XP on a couple of devices. Viliv N5 UMPC has 1GB or RAM and while it could run 7, it would be too slow (kinda is slow with XP, but at least usable) and the last time I tried, Linux was not stable on it.

I think it should be normal to not connect a Windows PC to the internet without a router or firewall. I don't think that MS will ever be able to fix the RPC service security.

When we say: "I miss Windows XP."

Do we mean: "I miss the operating system."
Or do we mean: "I miss the memories made on it."
> MSN Messenger
> Skype
> Some ancient game called Maplestory.

Not technically Windows XP specific but meh.

• Brohoof 2

I have good memories of Windows 95, XP, and 7. XP was a great OS for its time, ngl. I'm with bronywhocodes, though, get a distro of Linux with customation options that make it look like old Windows OSes. As great as they looked, you wouldn't really want to go back to them.

• 3 weeks later...

I like most of the older version of Windows, from XP to 7 (RIP Windows 7).

If I'm feeling nostalgic, I'll boot up Windows XP in a virtual machine and, I don't know, play some Space Cadet 3D Pinball.

Recently, I've been toying more with Windows 7 since Microsoft just killed it off not too long ago.