Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

My main OC is going to be a pegasus. Big deal, right? NO. But right now for my main OC, I'm using an alicorn named Princess Navi, as you can tell by my name and profile pic. So, I don't understand why all the hate goes into having an alicorn oc. Okay, so what if most suck? No need to be rude! So my question is: what should I do to fix my OC? My pegasus OC has some design hiccups that need fixing. Here is what I consider to be THE OC GUIDELINES!

1. Don't make it have an amazing special power or be the BFF of all the mane six

2. Evil/sad/emo backstories are a NO-NO

3. Handicaps. Bad. Use in strict moderation.

4. Rainbows are used too much= NO. 

5. Recolors are unoriganal.

6. Throwing on a cloak, glasses, 20 hats, and some butterfly wings is just SAD.

7. Be consistent with your color scheme.

8. Have a name that matches your cutie mark and colors.

9. Be VERY careful and tread lightly with alicorn OCs

10. Hrybrids are hard to do. Don't do them if it doesn 't make sense.

11. Make sure your cutie mark makes sense. 

12. Sons and daughters of princesses, villains, or the Mane 6 are bad.

Okay, that's about it. But one last rule:

13: PONY CREATOR IS ONLY USED TO GET AN IDEA OF THE DESIGN. GOT IT?

This really angers me, because artists lose skill (and sometimes money) to this EVIL THING. The PONY CREATOR is the only thing I hate about the Living Tombstone: PONY CREATOR OCS! You are bad and you should feel bad if you have a pony creator OC. DRAW IT, JEEZ. Or at least ask someone to draw it for you.

You guys post good/bad OCs below!

• Brohoof 3

(edited)

My main OC is going to be a pegasus. Big deal, right? NO. But right now for my main OC, I'm using an alicorn named Princess Navi, as you can tell by my name and profile pic. So, I don't understand why all the hate goes into having an alicorn oc. Okay, so what if most suck? No need to be rude! So my question is: what should I do to fix my OC? My pegasus OC has some design hiccups that need fixing. Here is what I consider to be THE OC GUIDELINES!

1. Don't make it have an amazing special power or be the BFF of all the mane six

This really angers me, because artists lose skill (and sometimes money) to this EVIL THING. The PONY CREATOR is the only thing I hate about the Living Tombstone: PONY CREATOR OCS! You are bad and you should feel bad if you have a pony creator OC. DRAW IT, JEEZ. Or at least ask someone to draw it for you.

That's kind of harsh, isn't it? I don't see the point of paying for a small piece of artwork. The only thing worth paying for is a commission, which these free artists can offer us. I don't have credit cards or the cash to make those payments. I only use it to give the artist a design to work with, nothing more.

Edited by Candy Star
  • Brohoof 6

(edited)

First, I know it might be harsh. But as an artist, this thing pains me. Ouch.  :okiedokielokie: This thing makes cheap and quick OCs, and it takes no talents to click buttons and drag arond the colors.  >_> Just, NO! :eww:  And you can post any OC off the internet.

Edited by PrincessNavi
  • Brohoof 1

(edited)

This is only one of my oc's, Dark Mist/Tainted Mist.  

7fc8c0ed71059d468e5cec49f3adb01c.png

The filly below the mare is the kinder more gentle one, Dark Mist. And the one above her is Tainted Mist, and before you try to debunk this wouldn't happen; just because the show won't do it, doesn't mean we can't.

Edited by Candy Star
  • Brohoof 1

This is only one of my oc's, Dark Mist/Tainted Mist.  

7fc8c0ed71059d468e5cec49f3adb01c.png

That's awesome! I've seen lots of Sombra- OCs, but most are evil and related to Sombra. This one is much different. I like that! BTW, shattered glass cutie mark is EPIC!

• Brohoof 1

(edited)

The thing is, i'm not making anyone feel sorry for her; just make them see the world from her both perspectives. Dark Mist is kind and gentle, but Tainted mist the direct opposite. I had to remove the backstory cause i need to make it look better grammar wise.

Sorry, i seem to be talking too much, forgive me.

That's awesome! I've seen lots of Sombra- OCs, but most are evil and related to Sombra. This one is much different. I like that! BTW, shattered glass cutie mark is EPIC!

Thank you so much ^_^ Glad you like her.

Great, now my english is suffering xD

Edited by Candy Star
  • Brohoof 1

Hi @,

The Equestrian Empire section is for RPs, and this is more about general OC design. As such, it's better suited for the Creative Resources part of Octavia's Hall. I'm moving it there. :)

• Brohoof 3

Well, having a special power is sort of part of being an alicorn, is it not? I mean, I will say that they don't need to be OP, and actually doing that makes them weaker as a character, but if they're just like every other pony, what's the point in making them an alicorn?

Having a name that matches the cutie mark and/or colors, isn't that, like, half of everyone? Most of the Apple family, most of the Pie family, Celestia and Luna, Shining Armor... 

As for how you can fix your OC, the colors are a bit drab. The azure mane and tail are good, but it's made of only cool colors. I recommend changing the eyes to a warmer color. Maybe a dark pink. That'll draw attention to the face and brighten up the appearance as well as make it more interesting. I know it seems to be based on Navi from OoT (and I apologize if I'm wrong) but, well, ponies aren't fairies, so...

Also, I now want to put 20 hats on my OC. Right now. All the time.

• Brohoof 4

because artists lose skill (and sometimes money) to this EVIL THING
How does me using the pony creator affect artists? and how does it make them lose skill or money?
  • Brohoof 2

If somebody doesn't want to spend money to get their OC drawn, that is their choice and there is nothing wrong with using the pony creator. However there is the saying "you get what you pay for". Pony creator being free, you will get a pretty generic look without much complexity; but spend a few bucks on a commissioned piece and thats money well spent in terms of quality put into the image.

As far as alicorn OCs go I don't really like the idea of them. I myself have yet to design an OC, but I know that Alicorns are a unique and rare thing for equestria and being an alicorn is a pretty big deal. If somebody insists on making their OC an alicorn, whatever, I don't really care; just don't go flaunting it about like your the cats meow because literally anybody can make their OC an alicorn, they just choose not to either for respect for the show or some other personal reason.

And regarding the OPs list, I am going to add my 2 cents for some of the points:

2. Why is emotional distress a No-No? This is their 'original character' that represents who the creator is. If somebody has been through a troubled life they have every right to express it in their pony.

3. Handicaps are downsides, things that restrict a pony from doing something on the same level as others. Rainbow Dash may be fast AF, but her ego gets in her way. Her ego is one of her handicaps. I am a good programmer, but I for the life of me can't comprehend complex math equations. Math is my handicap that may affect my programming.

4. I haven't seen many rainbows on OCs, but if they want to base their character off Rainbow Dash thats fine. The show is supposed to inspire us, so why not take in such inspiration through character development and appearances.

5. Read Number 4

6. No comment...

7. Define consistent. If somebody wants to have the opposite ends of the color wheel on their character I don't care. Contrast stands out more and can look pretty good if done right.

8. Since when do names have to rely on the Cutie Mark? Last time I checked ponies were given names before their cutie mark came in (it just so happens that a lot of characters cutie marks resemble their names, but that might just be for ease of identification in the show)

9. I agree, I am not a fan.

10. Hybrid? Like half Griffon half diamond dog? I have yet to see this one.

11. I can probably name 10 FiM characters whose cutie marks "don't make a lick of  sense"

12. I agree, don't flaunt this shenanigans. 

13. See the top of my post.

How does me using the pony creator affect artists? and how does it make them lose skill or money?

Practice makes perfect, so artists have less chances to practice their art, and some people's art is their JOB. That's how they lose skill and money.

Well, having a special power is sort of part of being an alicorn, is it not? I mean, I will say that they don't need to be OP, and actually doing that makes them weaker as a character, but if they're just like every other pony, what's the point in making them an alicorn?

Having a name that matches the cutie mark and/or colors, isn't that, like, half of everyone? Most of the Apple family, most of the Pie family, Celestia and Luna, Shining Armor... 

As for how you can fix your OC, the colors are a bit drab. The azure mane and tail are good, but it's made of only cool colors. I recommend changing the eyes to a warmer color. Maybe a dark pink. That'll draw attention to the face and brighten up the appearance as well as make it more interesting. I know it seems to be based on Navi from OoT (and I apologize if I'm wrong) but, well, ponies aren't fairies, so...

Also, I now want to put 20 hats on my OC. Right now. All the time.

HAHAHA and thanks for the idea, I'll try that!

If somebody doesn't want to spend money to get their OC drawn, that is their choice and there is nothing wrong with using the pony creator. However there is the saying "you get what you pay for". Pony creator being free, you will get a pretty generic look without much complexity; but spend a few bucks on a commissioned piece and thats money well spent in terms of quality put into the image.

As far as alicorn OCs go I don't really like the idea of them. I myself have yet to design an OC, but I know that Alicorns are a unique and rare thing for equestria and being an alicorn is a pretty big deal. If somebody insists on making their OC an alicorn, whatever, I don't really care; just don't go flaunting it about like your the cats meow because literally anybody can make their OC an alicorn, they just choose not to either for respect for the show or some other personal reason.

And regarding the OPs list, I am going to add my 2 cents for some of the points:

2. Why is emotional distress a No-No? This is their 'original character' that represents who the creator is. If somebody has been through a troubled life they have every right to express it in their pony.

3. Handicaps are downsides, things that restrict a pony from doing something on the same level as others. Rainbow Dash may be fast AF, but her ego gets in her way. Her ego is one of her handicaps. I am a good programmer, but I for the life of me can't comprehend complex math equations. Math is my handicap that may affect my programming.

4. I haven't seen many rainbows on OCs, but if they want to base their character off Rainbow Dash thats fine. The show is supposed to inspire us, so why not take in such inspiration through character development and appearances.

5. Read Number 4

6. No comment...

7. Define consistent. If somebody wants to have the opposite ends of the color wheel on their character I don't care. Contrast stands out more and can look pretty good if done right.

8. Since when do names have to rely on the Cutie Mark? Last time I checked ponies were given names before their cutie mark came in (it just so happens that a lot of characters cutie marks resemble their names, but that might just be for ease of identification in the show)

9. I agree, I am not a fan.

10. Hybrid? Like half Griffon half diamond dog? I have yet to see this one.

11. I can probably name 10 FiM characters whose cutie marks "don't make a lick of  sense"

12. I agree, don't flaunt this shenanigans. 

13. See the top of my post.

Yeah, I guess some of this is a bit harsh, but pony creator is just annoying to people, including me.

Practice makes perfect, so artists have less chances to practice their art,

But artists can draw something else. They can draw their own OCs or maybe a tree. If they aren't wasting their time drawing my OC then they do something else, like practice their art or something.

and some people's art is their JOB.

If we're following this logic then it's wrong to give poor people free food. The chefs job is making and selling food. So by giving people food, you're making chefs lose their money.

Do you realize how stupid that sounds? Because it sounds extremely stupid.

• Brohoof 3

(edited)

Practice makes perfect, so artists have less chances to practice their art, and some people's art is their JOB. That's how they lose skill and money.

But what about people who can't draw and doesn't have the money to pay other people to draw for them?

EDIT:

You are bad and you should feel bad if you have a pony creator OC. DRAW IT, JEEZ. Or at least ask someone to draw it for you.

Well, than you are bad and should feel bad because you have an alicorn OC. Edited by Yamet
  • Brohoof 3

What about this alicorn OC?

large.png

It's a joke OC

Anyway, pony creator's pretty useful for getting the most basic things down. Most importantly, the color scheme. It's handy because you can try out different colors just by punching in numbers or sliding bars. Don't forget that if anyone else is going to draw your OC, you better have the design figured out and that includes the colors. It won't matter how good an artist is, if the design of your OC is crap because of having mismatching colors, it'll either come out bad anyway or the artist is going to have to struggle to make the OC look good but without changing the design too much.

• Brohoof 3

Dark Mist/Tainted Mist are unique on their own, some people make evil oc's, but sometimes they're just badly done. Red and black are common place; but never explain why their evil.  

• Brohoof 1

(edited)

For point 1, that's something you have to be careful with. Though Flufflepuff has proven to be popular despite this. Depends on execution I suppose.

For point 2, also depends on execution.

For point 5, recolours are also bothersome to me.

For point 6, it appears I completely broke this (OC lacks much information including name as of now). Don't know if OC or more persona.

tablet__oc_by_115predator-d8t69pb.png

For point 9, alicorn OCs isn't something I found work well in many cases. Or perhaps I only happen to see bad ones.

For point 10, so far the only hybrids I've seen that I can remember is whoever is Rarity and Spike's child who is pony-dragon hybrid. Other than that I don't remember any other hybrids as of now.

For point 13, I will agree that seeing Pony Creator OCs is eye sore to me; I think I would much rather prefer seeing original drawings made by people even if their skills only goes up to making stick ponies. Won't hate people for using it though.

For point about Pony Creator taking away profit from artists, more choice is good though.

Edited by Tsaritsa Luna

(edited)

Ok, let me help you out a bit here, seeing as how these aren't site guidelines. I'll go in depth if needed, seeing as how we clearly have different views on what makes a good OC. Also, why is this thread called alicorn OC's when the main topic isn't even alicorns.

1. Broke this already and it doesn't really matter. My characters have powers and they are unique in the way they use them. Does this make them a bad character, no, but I do agree on the last bit about being friends with the mane six to a degree.

2. I'm sorry, but no. Avoiding emotional/sad back stories take away from character development. Heck, you NEED a 'evil' backstory if you even hope to have a good villain. A character's backstory doesn't make them a bad character. It shows their flaws, traits, and a reason why they are who they are.

3. This honestly made me mad. Handicaps are REQUIRED if you don't want a Mary Sue/Gary Stue as a character. Handicaps show the weaknesses of a OC and where they fall short. It gives them something to work toward in order to perfect.

4.Not that I really see this often, but yes. Having a character whose coat and mane are literally puking up rainbows is up appealing to the eye.

5. Ummm, what do you mean by this. If you meant that someone drawing the mane and tail style of a pony and putting it on their OC is unoriginal, then that is somewhat false if it is a different color. If it the entire pony in general, then you are right.

6. Ok, what site have you been on. I have yet to see a OC with 20 hats on at once. Also, a cloak and a bloody pair of glasses are pieces of accessories that ponies are shown to be wearing in the actual show. It works out just fine depending on the character. As for the butterfly wings, I don't know how to respond to that. I guess the OC could be a changeling or something with a special pair of wings but I'm not sure.

7. I agree.A good color scheme is important to make an OC appealing to the eye.

8. A name is a name. Your cutie mark shouldn't determine it. If you want to call an OC Baron Von Fishlegs or Xena and have him/her as a teacher, that's fine. As for the bit about matching a name to your colors, just no. Just... No. I can name ten characters whose name's don't match their color.

9. Just gonna pass this one over. I don't really see anything wrong.

10. Again, where are the hybrids of which you speak, because I certainly haven't seen them. Anyway, yes. A hybrid is ok if it makes sense.

11. How would one do this. Would you make it make sense for the personality of a pony or just pick one out of thin air.

12. Same with 9, but I just don't want to go into this. It isn't worth it.

13- end of original post. Ok, this is where I get mad. Yes, a pony generator should be used to get a idea of an OC, but it can also be used to make one as well. If you want to spend money to make an OC, fine, but seeing as how I can't draw worth a dragon scale and have do not wish to waste money on a creation I could easily do for free, I would rather take the easy road. Also, there ismore than one pony creator that is for free. As for people losing money to that thing, compare the number of commission threads to request shop threads. Now get this, the request shops are for FREE and the commission shops don't even break a page, so no one is losing money, seeing as how those OC's will probably go through a commission or two. For the last bit, don't judge someone just because they use a pony generator. Someone had to work hard to get that up and running, and slandering anypony who uses one makes you look a lot more unprofessional and to be quite honest, nopony really wants that. Oh wait, it's not over, but I can easily sum this up in one easy question. What if you can't find somepony to draw it for you.

Anyway, my OC's are in my signature. Look if you want.

Edited by Drago Ryder
  • Brohoof 1

(edited)

Regarding alicorn OCs: I have two. Both are ascended unicorns, I worked on their backstories and both have flaws, and are not overpowered. Just cuz an OC is an alicorn does not make them a Mary Sue. I have seen two OCs (not here!) that were so overpowered and such revolting Mary Sues, they made me feel physically sick. Neither was an alicorn; one was an earth pony, the other a pegasus. No names mentioned to protect the not so innocent, but just saying that in the hands of a Suethor, any species of pony can be a Mary Sue. In fact, the creator of the earth pony Sue actually stated that her creation wasn't a Sue cuz she wasn't an alicorn, which was blatantly untrue.

Regarding ponymaker: I understand that it's generic and irritates people. However, as a tool to create a reference image, it's invaluable. All my OCs were created there first. Afterwards, I either asked for art or made it myself, but I needed the ponymaker image as a primary reference. It's all very well saying "Just draw it yourself!" but some people either can't draw, don't own scanners or the means to upload photos to the internet; or on the other hoof, can't make vector art and can't hand draw on Paint. Why should those people have to spend money just to get a picture of their OC which passes muster with other people? Especially since a lot of the people complaining about ponymaker are the lucky ones who have paid vector programmes and therefore can effortlessly make art. If it bothers you so much, then why not open a request shop? I have. I love making people's OCs, especially if all they have is a ponymaker pic. Most people don't want to keep their OC in ponymaker form forever.

Edited by Pripyat Pony

What about this alicorn OC?

sig-3774716.large.png

It's a joke OC

Anyway, pony creator's pretty useful for getting the most basic things down. Most importantly, the color scheme. It's handy because you can try out different colors just by punching in numbers or sliding bars. Don't forget that if anyone else is going to draw your OC, you better have the design figured out and that includes the colors. It won't matter how good an artist is, if the design of your OC is crap because of having mismatching colors, it'll either come out bad anyway or the artist is going to have to struggle to make the OC look good but without changing the design too much.

That OC literally hurt my eyes. :lol:

But yeah, as much as I don't like the pony creator OCs that crop up on every google search, I has to admit that the tool itself is rather handy for picking out colours.

• Brohoof 2

I have an OC that I created for a fanfic that I wrote a while ago.  I was addressing the idea of death in Equestria.  There are references to generations of ponies that are no longer in the world, but no reference to what that transition might be like.  My solution was an alicorn princess named Theia.  She is between Celestia and Luna in terms of her size.  I imagined her with a white sparkling coat, a flowing mane and tail that is white with silvery-gray highlights, and faded steel-blue eyes.  Her cutie mark resembles a map with planets and stars linked with glowing lines to symbolize the transition from Equestria to another realm.  Her appearance to the pony who is leaving equestria is usually something that is a private one on one affair, but other family members can be involved at the behest of the pony who is leaving.  Theia's power is the ability to open a portal to other worlds very similar to the one that Twilight uses to get to the alternate world in the Equestria Girls movies.  This, of course, opens up possibilities.  Since Theia has the ability to open portals to other worlds, it would stand to reason that she could move between them at will and even effect them.  I have used the aforementioned evil pony creator to create a likeness of this princess, but finishing it is beyond my limited artistic ability.

But artists can draw something else. They can draw their own OCs or maybe a tree. If they aren't wasting their time drawing my OC then they do something else, like practice their art or something.

If we're following this logic then it's wrong to give poor people free food. The chefs job is making and selling food. So by giving people food, you're making chefs lose their money.

Do you realize how stupid that sounds? Because it sounds extremely stupid.

Okay, but imagine the only thing you are good at drawing is ponies, and drawing your own OC gets old after a while. And as for chefs, does going to a grocery store make chefs lose money because you're buying food? No. And why? Mostly because chefs own restaurants that many other people come to. Besides, art and food are two WAY different things. You need food to live. But the pony creator makes OCs really quickly, just my clicking your mouse a couple times. So you can have lots of pony OCs. It also encourages alicorn OCs (which, BTW, my oc's a pegasus now) And on deviantart, people use these pony creator OCs for adoptables and sell them, so even less people want their OCs drawn. See my point?

(edited)

Woah. Kinda harsh there, but you have some valid points.

Here goes my two cents...

Agreed, OP characters who are intertwined with the main characters don't really make sense and actually restrict character development.

Agreed, some people go overboard with this (themes like self-harm, etc.) and maybe need to remember that this is MLP.

If you mean physical/mental then see question 2. Flaws are a different thing entirely though and can really add personality to a character (eg. all of the mane six have flaws).

Haven't seen this a lot but I can see how it would be offputting.

If you mean taking an existing pony, re-coloring and giving it a different name/cutie mark and claiming it as an OC then yes, that's extremely unoriginal.

Haven't seen this a lot, but if it's explained by the character's personality, profession, backstory etc. I can't see a problem here.

YES.

Mmhm...nah. It should relate to your cutie mark somehow, and should be colored properly, but match? Nah.

Some people do make them pretty OP. This is good advice.

Yup.

Agreed!

Agreed again :)

Uh...just..no. Many people. myself included, cannot draw. Like, at all. I could do a stickman, that's about it. Not everyone wants to pay for artwork either, regardless of the cost.

If you feel like you are losing skill and hate Pony Creator that bad, maybe offer to do some free OC commissions for profile avatars? That way you will improve skill/experience, build a larger customer base and reputation as an artist, and don't have to see Pony Creator OC's anymore. It's a win-win-win.

Now bask in the warm glow of my Pony Creator-created Alicorn OC :umad:

Edited by Sky Flare
  • Brohoof 1

Forgive me if my english is bad.

But from what I remember, the term "OC" - Original Character, i dont understand for what one post about one thing so simple...  :confused:

Rarity_confused_S4E19.png

What is the problem of "OC" be "OP"?

In my view imagination has no limits and when you imagine your character, no matter whether it is the earth pony, pegasus, unicorn, alicornio, whatever, what matters is whether you are happy with your creation and excuse me not It is because of the fandom that has a ridiculous world view that one should hate people who do OC's of this type.

Just as we all have right to hate something, we are entitled to do something, the imagination can not be limited.

Rarity_happy_because_Photo_Finish_accept

I find it totally acceptable, and everyone has the right to make the OC they want, and give the same the amount of power you want, the story too, and I'm sorry I think staying treating others differently because of an OC is Children and totally idiot, dont others for expressing their feelings by certain breed or pony style, each has the right to think whatever you want.

The fandom act like this when see one Alicorn Oc

OOOOOOOOOW NOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!! JUSTTTTTTT LAURENNNNNNNN CAN HAVEEEEEE AAAAAAAAAA ALICORN OCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC *CRY*   :eww:  :eww:  :eww:  :eww: 

• Brohoof 6

(edited)

But the pony creator makes OCs really quickly, just my clicking your mouse a couple times. So you can have lots of pony OCs. It also encourages alicorn OCs (which, BTW, my oc's a pegasus now) And on deviantart, people use these pony creator OCs for adoptables and sell them, so even less people want their OCs drawn. See my point?

Let me ask you one thing, why is it rude to hate alicorn OCs but perfectly ok to hate OCs made with pony creator? And don't you dare say it's because artist lose money., because that's bullshit. Are those who draw other people OCs for free also taking money from those poor artists?

Edited by Yamet
  • Brohoof 2