Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Your Favorite Bassist(s)?

Cosmik Vek

(edited)

So in this thread you share to us your favorite bassist(s)

As for me, they are the followings:

Steve Digiorgio (Sadus, Death, Testament):

Played great in several Sadus album, his technique was so great at the time, that he was asked to play for Death for the album Human and Individual Through Patterns

808_artist.jpg?2827

Dominic "Forest" Lapointe (Ex Beyond Creation, Quo Vadis, etc...)

when he used to played in Beyond Creation, he showed the beast he was at the fretless bass, playing really harmonic melodies that made the two Beyond Creation albums IMO

Forest-Top-736x400.jpg

Others: Jean-Yves "Blacky" Thériault (Voivod), Koh Morota (R.I.P. 1999) (Doom (Japan)), Les Claypool (Ex Blind Illusion, Primus), Lemmy Kilmister (Motörhead), Cliff Burton (R.I.P. 1986) (Metallica)

Edited by ObliveonVortex
  • Brohoof 2

This is a really cool thread. 

My favorites off the top of my head: Steve Harris, Matt Freeman, & Geezer Butler. Steve Harris of Iron Maiden is my all time favorite though.

• Brohoof 1

Jeff Ament of Pearl Jam, no question about it. 
A master of slide and fretless basses, his style has had a significant influence on the development of my own playing style. And I'm first and foremost a GUITAR player.

ament8x.jpg

• Brohoof 2

(edited)

Murdoc Niccals from Gorillaz

I don't really know all the different real life bassists who have done the bass for Gorillaz's songs, but they all represent Murdoc, so I'll just go with that. He does a lot of really cool bass in songs like Feel Good Inc., Stylo, and Clint Eastwood.

Colin Greenwood from Radiohead

He has a really cool simplistic style that also has a cool experimental side that adds a lot to Radiohead's songs.

Guy Berryman from Coldplay

I really like his smooth mellow sound, and it adds a lot in some of Coldplay's songs like Sparks or Talk.

Edited by Blue Moon
  • Brohoof 1

(edited)

Cliff Burton from Metallica was one of the best bass players i have ever seen.

He died in a bus crash

I also really like TIm Commorford's (Rage Against the Machine) playing style.

Edited by Lee
  • Brohoof 1

I've been waiting for a thread like this!  :lol:

1. John Entwistle of The Who, Rolling Stone reader's pole voted him greatest of all time, truly a man who revolutionized the bass guitar as a lead instrument, a real influence on my playing. (He also played Alembics, which are damn fine bass guitars!)

2. Jack Bruce of Cream, Another experimental and powerful lead player, this guy is noted for having perfect timing, and accentuating and enhancing Clapton's virtuoso guitar playing. After Cream he became a notable endorser of Warwick instruments, and played a personal favorite of mine, the Fretless Thumb Bass. 

3. Sting (Gordon Sumner) of The Police, Another great, jazz influenced player (like Bruce), his early stuff was Ska-Punk fusion which evolved into more refined Reggae/Caribbean basslines.

4. Les Claypool of Primus, Probably one of the weirdest, and most creative players whoever lived, combining Funk and Metal, creating a dirty, metallic, and rusty sound.

5. Jaco Pastorius of Weather Report, A great Latin/African influenced Jazz player, playing a slippery fretless Fender Jazz Bass, his 16'th note Cuban rhythms sound more like horns than a bass guitar on occasion. 

• Brohoof 2

Sick thread.  It is relevant to my interests.  :o

Flea and Cliff are (or...were) definitely the shit.  RIP.  One of my personal favorites:

I submit Ryan Martinie of Mudvayne.  He has a talent for finding that perfect balance between the two primary responsibilities of a metal bassist:

1. Locking into the drums, providing a solid punch for the foundation of a song.

2. Giving heft to the rhythm guitar's harmonic presence, while providing a nuanced melodic counterpart to the rest of the guitar work.

Nate Mendell from the Foo Fighters. Plays such a cool bass, fits seamlessly into any Foo's song. Song songs seem to be fit round the bass too, at times :P