Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Tree Hugger was just a stereotype.

TheMarkz0ne

The only new guest character to suck. She was speaking new age and had nothing to offer as a character. Didn't get to know why she hangs with Fluttershy. She isn't even aware that Discord is trying to mess with her. Just a really dull character. 

• Brohoof 2

yeah hell nah bro. She was hilarious. Discord was trying to get under her skin and she was just chill af. Also, Fluttershy said she met her at the trip to see the breezies (dat continuity from season 4). How does being new age not make her have any character? We didn't really get to see much of her because the episode was more based around Discord's view and he wasn't hanging around Tree Hugger all too often besides butting in on their conversation and trying to cause a ruckus. 

• Brohoof 3

I saw nothing wrong with her. Different doesn't necessarily mean bad. There are plenty of stereotypes in the show, it's what makes it popular and funny. Much like Pinkie Pie being unoffended by plenty of things and Maud showing little to no reaction.

• Brohoof 2

Me personally I thought she was hilarious. Honestly she actually was one of the few 'hippie' peace loving type characters that I have liked in a cartoon, she just worked off of the others characters so well.

Stereotype or not, I thought she was great.

• Brohoof 5

I would have to agree that she is definitely stereotypical, but you know what? -- It was funny and I have no problem with it. :P She is quite a unique character for the show. And quite honestly, Fluttershy being friends with a hippie makes sense! The New Age stuff is a minor annoyance and it didn't make me like her any less.

I love her especially when she'd say something like "You're bumming me out man" and Discord would grit his teeth or get mad, plus she is the type of person I'd hang out with, someone who's chill and relaxed and doesn't get all stressed out.

To me, she was an enjoyable character. And like every character on the show, fans can see them how they want. I plan on writing her differently, more serious than how she was portrayed.

As for Fluttershy, they'd be perfect friends. xD

You're obviously entitled to your opinion, as are we.

• Brohoof 1

Duuuuude, chill out man. Whatever is going on for you, your chakras are guiding you to the solution.

I need to meditate a bit bro.

• Brohoof 2

I mentioned this briefly in the episode discussion thread, but I'll talk a little more about it here. Being a bit older than most here, I can actually validate some knowledge of that Flower and Peace generation. My mother was a hippie. She was a teen during the counter culture movement. She very much is still one as well. You may be shocked to know that as a 7 year old boy, my mother acted exactly like Tree Hugger at times. Most of the times. This is one of those times the stereotype isn't that far from the truth. Heaven help me, I saw my mother's ponyosa on Saturday. x)

Blessings.

• Brohoof 10

Just a really dull character? Really? REALLY?!

She shares interests with Fluttershy, little miss animal "expert", and not only that, put Fluttershy to shame, when it came to dealing with handling rarer creatures, like the Smooze. Tree Hugger didn't bat an eye and knew exactly what to do when it was gooping out out of control.

She's extremely tolerant and unflappable, even in the face of a desperate, jealous, wrathful tsundere like Discord

she obviously likes nature

seems like she's got a bit of character behind that chill exterior, to me. Personally, I'd want to see her sticking around in Ponyville, and calming ponies down, with every threat the town faces, before panic even sets in. In fact, I want to see Tree Hugger juts moving in and stealing the Mane 6's thunder with another villain, and getting everything under control.

I want to see Tree and Maude hanging together, in their own dual episode, one day, soon, too.They seem like they'd hit it off.

• Brohoof 2

Many characters are arguably stereotypes... Rarity is a fashionista, Twilight is (or WAS) a bookworm/nerdy type... I'm sure they'd expand her beyond her stereotypical tendencies if she were given time to expand. Which I hope she's NOT because I don't really care much for her

I mentioned this briefly in the episode discussion thread, but I'll talk a little more about it here. Being a bit older than most here, I can actually validate some knowledge of that Flower and Peace generation. My mother was a hippie. She was a teen during the counter culture movement. She very much is still one as well. You may be shocked to know that as a 7 year old boy, my mother acted exactly like Tree Hugger at times. Most of the times. This is one of those times the stereotype isn't that far from the truth. Heaven help me, I saw my mother's ponyosa on Saturday. x)

Blessings.

While I love my mother to death, she was the opposite kind of person and I grew up with unintentionally closed mind. Still grew up will all the awesome music, strangely enough.

I thought that the writers were just poking fun at stereotypical hippies

I didnt like her but it wasnt because of the stereotype, not only did i find her extreamly annoying but i couldnt get past that the character was a forced contrivency for the sake of the plot.

I know they do that a lot but they didnt annoy me as bad as this

It's about time they had a pony with dreadlocks in the show! Tree Hugger is a lot like people I hang out with in real life. Also, I'm pretty sure she knows my OC.

• Brohoof 1

I was excited when I heard Fluttershy mention her new friend Tree Hugger, but when she was introduced I felt a bit let down because of how stereotypical she seemed. But once she started dealing with the Smooze I began to respect her. She may be a stereotypical hippie, but she obviously isn't a poser. She owns her hippieness and the new age stuff isn't just talk, she actually used a mantra to calm that beast down. The part that sealed it for me was when she told Discord very frankly that she needed a moment before she could hug him authentically. So chill yet firm.

• Brohoof 1

She was like one of those typical hippie characters that we've seen thousands of times before in movies and shows but it does not make her a bad character or anything. Just maybe a little unoriginal.

Tree Hugger has a reason, (stating as if she will come back if episodes in the future) her reason is just that she is with Flutters because of the Breezies! Also, she was so chill while Discord was getting under her skin is because people/ponies that share her "traits" tend to be super calm and down to earth. (That pun though  :lol: )

I thought Tree Hugger was down-right adorable and hilarious. I honestly wanted to hug her during that whole episode. <3

• Brohoof 3

She was like one of those typical hippie characters that we've seen thousands of times before in movies and shows but it does not make her a bad character or anything. Just maybe a little unoriginal.

Probably but I would have preferred a lest hippy kind of pony

To be fair, I think half the characters on MLP are pretty much stereotypes.

For example (nitpicking the Mane 6 here):

Twilight Sparkle is the OCD smarty pants of the bunch.
Rarity is the over-dramatic fashionista with a somewhat British accent. "M'Darling." <--- lol
Fluttershy is a shy person who can't seem to stand up for herself (And when she does, she goes on a tirade.)
Pinkie Pie is the crazy chick, the party goer. We all know this one person.
Applejack is a country gal, a workaholic.
Rainbow Dash has an ego over 9000, and made out to fit the stereotype of a Tom-boy.

Therefore, I think Tree Hugger is a stereotype as well. I mean, she is "Tree Hugger", obviously from the beginning we all knew her stereotype was going to be a laid back hippie. 

• Brohoof 3