225 users have voted

1. 1. Did you like it?

• No, I hated it! >:(
    • I didn't like it.
    • Meh. It was okay.
    • I liked it!
    • I LOVED IT! <3

(edited)

Glad to see that the map is returning throughout the season, not just for the finale. Also, the fact that it only "calls" Certain members of the mane 6, it leads to some interesting character pairings. At first I thought I might not like this one due to Gilda being in it, but I actually enjoyed it alot. Pinkie was funny as usual. Definitely one of the better s5 episodes. 8/10

Oh yeah, filly Rainbow is sooo cute.  :wub:

Edited by rpc8169
  • Brohoof 1

Is it not?!

Is that seriously something that they can't be expected to do themselves if they're in need of additional information? I mean, seriously...?

Well, I'm currently looking for any proof I can to show that the mane five actually aren't useless without Twilight, even though season 4 hammered that notion into our heads multiple times. So naturally, you can't blame me for finding Twilight handholding Dash and Pinkie through their mission together to be just the slightest bit irritating.

I don't think so, but even if it is, she's been acting this way since the beginning of the show. This is your evidence that Twilight has transformed into a paternalistic deus ex machina machine?

Also, how are the others useless without Twilight? All season 5 has done is refute that sentiment. So you can stop worrying about it now.

• Brohoof 4

• Gilda... Cutest baby griffin ever!  :wub:

• I was so excited to see Gilda again! I am so glad they patched things up.

The episode was pretty good!

• Brohoof 2

Griffon the Brush Off is one of is one of my favorite early episodes, so it was very nice to see the loose ends from it all tied up. I thought AKR handled the more adventure-y aspects of the episode well, and all the exotic aspects about the setting blended nicely into what she was doing with the characters. I've felt that the problem with some of the previous adventure episodes has been getting all wrapped up in all the new cool stuff and having to hurriedly or sloppily finish the story because of that, but it all worked great here. The episode struck a pretty good balance between exploring the characters, exploring the setting, and keeping the mood lighthearted with little stuff like this

902384.gif

And Pinkie's strange new statue obsession :blink: .

Another thing I liked about the ending was how natural Rainbow Dash's forgiveness of Gilda felt. While Gilda's felt just a little hurried, RD's was just what we've seen from her before. Abrasive, but willing to forgive in a heartbeat when she knows the person is genuinely sorry. Balance comes to mind once again, and the episode struck a great balance between making Gilda sympathetic while not excusing how crappily she'd treated everybody before. Now she's yet another victim of the shithole Cloudsdale Flight Camps, where nopony remains untraumatized >_>.

Overall, great episode. One of my faves in Season 5 so far.

• Brohoof 2

• Gilda... Cutest baby griffin ever!  :wub:
  • I was so excited to see Gilda again! I am so glad they patched things up.
  • The episode was pretty good!

Considering you despise Rainbow Dash I thought you'd REALLY hate Gilda lol. But this episode redeems her.

(edited)

Damn...You're absolutely right! O_O

Its not that they can't die. Its just that the theme doesn't encourage it. They are like too good to not die in general. Its a joyful world for ponies ^^

gilda_by_csimadmax-d49kb9i.png

Edited by Trine
  • Brohoof 1

I have one major problem with the moral's approach. Here, Pinkie and Dash realize that the reason Griffonstone is in such trouble is because they're not friends with each other. Nononononononononono!

Griffinstone is a wasteland. There's nothing exciting or endearing about this place. The houses are rundown. There's no food, no water. It's desolate out there, and chances are they don't get much rain by how dry the ground and sky look. Present-day griffons have every reason to be grumpy: While others such as Ponyville thrive, Griffonstone looks war-torn.

Someone here implicated how greed can lead to problems in society and friendship to heal itself for the future. The problem is there's a deep disconnect between what the moral is trying to say and what they're saying. The griffons here aren't greedy. They're fighting for survival. They don't ask for money at any given turn without reason. As comedic as many of the scenes are, the griffons are in very deep trouble. If they don't ask for money, they starve and will die.

The episode treats the moral as a one-size-fit-all solution to Griffinstone's problems (and by association, others in real life). That doesn't work. Even if society is welcoming and friends with each other, that still won't solve the economic and agricultural turmoil. Friendship can only build so much, and it's a false pretense to believe otherwise. Sure, it's a start to maybe building Griffinstone back up, but the griffins are in a life-or-death predicament, and they don't completely treat it as such.

Sorry DQ, I have to disagree. Why is Griffonstone a wasteland in the first place? It's because everyone is looking out for themselves, only concerned with their own survival. There are no relationships, not even producer-consumer ones.

Why is the economy a wreck? Because nobody is making products that anyone else wants. Nobody wants Gilda's food. Nobody wants to take a tour to the abyss. Nobody has money to pay for construction work to repair houses or improve the infrastructure.

There's no voluntary exchange of goods and services, because nobody is empathetic, no one considers the others' needs. Everyone loses because of this.

Friendship does solve the problem, because it established this. Gilda makes scones that others like. Suddenly, she has a product that others want. All of this came from a friend helping her with her recipe and to understand what a consumer wants.

So in this case, I must object: friendship is exactly what Griffonstone needed.

• Brohoof 10

I have one major problem with the moral's approach. Here, Pinkie and Dash realize that the reason Griffonstone is in such trouble is because they're not friends with each other. Nononononononononono!

Luke Skywalker was not the one to bring balance to the Force though. Anakin was.

Pinkie and RD realized that Gilda need to bring friendship there. Friendship is the answer. Its absence was the cause. The moral is still intact, from a certain point of view. ;)

• Brohoof 3

I really enjoyed this episode! If there's one thing I never knew I wanted in this show until now, was that dash and pinkie patched things up with Gilda! This season is pretty awesome so far.

I don't think calling the griffons greedy applies here, at least not in today's age. Griffinstone is in complete shambles. There's very little to eat there, and the economy is horrible. They ask for bits any way they can because they need them.

what about when that one griffon didn't help rainbow dash, who was in definite danger, because she had no money? Usually people who are super poor are very willing to help others out (I've had heaps of encounters with homeless people...)

Just a thought, I think RD needs to consider running said Camp. Turn that place around real quick!

• Brohoof 1

(edited)

Good episode! Was glad to see Gilda turn good in the end. <3 Gilda, you and I will no longer have problems anymore. ;) I was happy to see them also go back to the idea they presented at the first episode. I knew they would eventually it just took a while. I have to say though, do they plan on mentioning any of those seven items soon? ...Or was the special chalice one of them? :o

Edited by Felix

Alright episode. I really dug the adventure elements with the idol and the abyss and shit, but the moral was really sappy and heavy-handed. Did it ever occur to Pinkie or Dash that the reason these Griffons never do anything for free is that they live in total squalor?

They did oversimply it which is indeed a problem I have with this episode though yes the actual greed that does exist which seems  to have been a part of the Griffon culture for centuries is part of why it became wasteland. Gilda, Pinkie Pie and Rainbow Dash cannot solve all the problems of Griffonstone by themselves, it is very likely that it could still be wasteland even long after they are dead but they could show an example which could contribute toward creating a real unity and making things better. The problems of Griffonstone have played out a lot in human history and still do today actually. From what Twilight described they have a long, complicated and very very bloody history. I am reminded of medieval Europe where various lords were vying for power while invaders such as Germanic and Slavic tribes, the Muslim empire and of course the VIkings all causing some rather nasty wars.

Loved this one. Was great getting another Pinkie/Rainbow episode :D

But we still don't have a single Rarity/Rainbow Dash episode. ;-;
  • Brohoof 2

(edited)

From the way the episode went Gilda's lesson in friendship was just a beginning of rebuilding Griffonstone. It's just a small kickstart, it's not like the town is going to be a bustling city one or two episodes later. But I can see something cool like Griffons coming into the rescue when the ponies least expect it out of the blue as a deus ex machina thingie.

If you look at the way the Cutie Map was working it seems there's a lot of work to be done on Equestria, there's a mess of things. Celestia you have some explaining to do, leaving all that paperwork for Twilight.

744a16f8a86edbe13530711faaaa20a3a29db91d

Edited by cidershield
  • Brohoof 1

I don't think so, but even if it is, she's been acting this way since the beginning of the show.

Not quite. Before, she always felt that her friends were perfectly competent and capable without her having to micromanage them.

She didn't give them to guide just to help them, she gave them the guide because she apparently expected that they would be lost and clueless without her. 

Also, how are the others useless without Twilight?

Ignoring the fact that they actually admitted as much in Princess Twilight Sparkle, they still tend to lack a general capability to come up with solutions themselves. However, admittedly, I am quite pleased that the solution in this episode did not come from Twilight's guide. So yes, perhaps this is turning around a bit. 

I liked this one.  

Now I can quit feeling guilty for liking Gilda only because of her cool character design.  Now she actually has redeeming qualities besides her looks!

I liked Twilight's doing her best to help prepare her friends for their journey - especially since she wanted to go so badly herself. 

I loved Rainbow Dash's "Twilight hair."

I loved Gummy licking cake stuff of of Pinkie's face.

Can't wait to see how Daring Do gets the golden statue out of that gorge.

Was pleased to see more of Pinkie's sensible side.  And as for her cozying up to the statue - it was the least hostile "person" in the place!

I agree that the griffon's inability to form friendships would be a large part of the decrepit condition of their kingdom.  Two heads are better than one, and many hands make light work.  Without friendship they lost the cooperative advantage. 

Wow. This episode sent Gilda from being my Third most hated Character to my 7th most liked Character. Her attitude makes so much more sense now that I can understand her backstory. She never had any friends growing up, so reacting the way she did to Pinkie in Griffon the brush off is in character, She was like Discord last episode, but Rainbow Dash wasn't as understanding as Fluttershy.

Other things i liked:

Rainbow Sparkle (Best Twilight impression ever)

Awesome Villain Dude. (Wanted to see more of him.)

More Griffon characters.

Things I hated:

This is the Second Library to be destroyed! First the Golden Oaks, now the Griffonstone Library? Why?!

(edited)

I liked this one.  

Now I can quit feeling guilty for liking Gilda only because of her cool character design.  Now she actually has redeeming qualities besides her looks!

I liked Twilight's doing her best to help prepare her friends for their journey - especially since she wanted to go so badly herself. 

I loved Rainbow Dash's "Twilight hair."

I loved Gummy licking cake stuff of of Pinkie's face.

Can't wait to see how Daring Do gets the golden statue out of that gorge.

Was pleased to see more of Pinkie's sensible side.  And as for her cozying up to the statue - it was the least hostile "person" in the place!

I agree that the griffon's inability to form friendships would be a large part of the decrepit condition of their kingdom.  Two heads are better than one, and many hands make light work.  Without friendship they lost the cooperative advantage. 

I dunno. I liked her arrogant behavior just in terms of what she was. But its also true that one can change if someone reaches to them, i might be too over critical, i mean its all in good fun.

Eagle eyes!

Gilda_Stare_S1E5.png

Edited by Trine

There's "helping" and there's "handholding." 

Rainbow and Pinkie need some additional directions? Fine. 

But giving explicit instructions of what to do, where to go, and who to talk to in order to solve a problem that you know absolutely nothing about? 

I guess Pinkie and Rainbow aren't quite grown up yet to handle the big stuff, at least in Twilight's mind. 

Twilight is being overprotective, yeah, and she's thinking way too much into it, but that's always been an aspect of her character. She's a worrier by nature - I wouldn't be surprised if she had OCD to some capacity. I don't think her behavior was supposed to be endearing, considering Rainbow Dash's reaction to it; in fact, she was probably just as, if not more annoyed than you are.

I still think that the vitriol at a character for having a flaw is unnecessary, though. It's completely understandable how she acted, and it fits in line with how she's behaved otherwise. Rainbow and Pinkie Pie likely didn't need her help, but she insisted upon it because of how enthusiastic she was about Griffonstone. If anything, I'm really glad they didn't take the obvious approach of making her passive aggressive toward Rainbow and Pinkie for going somewhere she wanted to when they didn't really have a choice in the matter (if anything she just seemed upset at the map itself).

Overall, I liked this episode. The ending seemed heavily rushed, but there was so much that impressed me about it I wasn't too bothered by it, rather feeling like I should've gotten more from the episode and it teased me a bit. Rainbow was really well written here, as was Pinkie, and while I do feel Gilda's resolution was unrealistic, she did seem well characterized before and after it, not to mention it helped to round out her character. There's the moral ambiguity that DQ brought up, but I agree with the others in that much of the problem was friendship, since the griffons seemed to ignore each other and do nothing to help each other, just looking out for themselves. The instant that Gilda opened herself up to collaborate with Pinkie, she managed to make a product that was appealing to the other griffons, and while Gilda doesn't need to be buddy-buddy with everything, a greater sense of community among those living in the area would help them immensely if only because they can pool together their own talents in order to fix up the place, rather than moping about the glory that it lost. They placed too much faith in the material, and not enough into each other.

• Brohoof 1

Amy Keating Rogers delivers another winner! No other writer delivers the depth and overall quality of episodes like her, she will be missed.

Of course I have the same universal love for what has already been posted ie; nerdy Twi, Dashs Twi impersonating, adorable flashback Gilda, world building,etc.

But yeah, Pinkie. I really liked that she basically continued what she started in "griffon the brush off" when she threw the party for Gilda. Pinkie Pie: "I threw this party to improve your attitude, and turn that frown upsidedown" only now the stakes are much higher. I thought it was going to be another "a friend indeed" in fact we all know she was about to bust out the smile song before learning that singing is forbidden. And in a way it was, in that Pinkies tenacity, while less obnoxious than with Cranky Donkey, finally pays off. I know it's been said before, but Pinkie Pie, you're a genius! (...she gets that a lot).

At first I was confused that Twilight wasn't sent too, ( I loved that we got to learn more about how the map works. That it can call specific ponies, and not the whole group. I feel more confident that we will see more about it throughout the season, and not just a device for the premiere and finale) but as the episode unfolded, it became clear why it was just Dash and Pinkie that were called. Pinkies optimistic enthusiasm, and a Dash of Loyalty is exactly what was needed to start turning the misfortunes of the Griffon Kingdom back towards prosperity. Never underestimate the power of the magic of friendship!

I'd also like to think that this episode will put a cork in those that think Twilight is OP or a Mary Sue. Conflict resolved with the magic of friendship, no princess needed.

My only problem with this episode is that now I'm going to have to rearrange a whole shelf of blind bag ponies to put Gilda Griffon ( glitter edition!) On the from row. That's going to take up my afternoon, in the words of Rainbow Dash "thanks a lot map" (s5ep1)

I loved the episode, not only did it give us more and better knowledge of griffons backstory. They also showed just how cute griffons could be, young Gilda was adorable. So yeah, great episode.