225 users have voted

1. 1. Did you like it?

• No, I hated it! >:(
    • I didn't like it.
    • Meh. It was okay.
    • I liked it!
    • I LOVED IT! <3

(edited)

Yay the forums back up! So three more weeks until another new episode. Damn. Anyways

What I liked:

The Characters: At least the main ones, we'll get to the background ones in a minute. Rainbow Dash and Pinkie were great here. and also

GILDA RETURNS. Wow, that's it's been 5 seasons and 1 in universe year since we last saw her. Talk about a long time coming. And she was so cute as a child!!!

The Griffon History: One, beautiful animation and two a great story and three nice to see something that didn't happen 1000 years ago

The cutaways: Pinkie's baking soda ad, The end Gummy cut and TwiHair Dash were pretty good!

The Last Crusade reference: Love me some Indiana Jones references!

What I didn't like:

Griffonstone: My biggest problem is that we never see Griffonstone of the present developed. It's a Planet of Hats. Basically what that is is when a location is given one trait and that defines that entire species. For example, in Star Trek TOS, the Klingons* were nothing but barbaric communist expys and nothing more. It wasn't until TNG that they actually got some fleshing out, such as their culture and lifestyle. Here in Griffonstone, everyone's a jerk and that's it, there's no variation, and this could also be said for Our Town as well. I really hope the next map episode doesn't use this trope as well

What was meh:

Gilda's voice: I think it changed but it's not a big deal

Overall it was a good episode, I just didn't get to invested in it. Nothing really wowed me on an emotional level here. Probably middle run for what we'very gotten so for for me.

*Note* I went with Klingons based on name recognition. In TOS they were arguably one of the most fleshed out races on the show, I just didn't want to go with the more obscure but actuate examples, like the gangster planet, the 20th century Roman planet or of course, the actual Space Nazis planet

Edited by Sidral Mundet

But did the Griffon have to do it in such a b***hy way?

I mean, there's pragmatism... and then there's sociopathy.

When society falls and you have cultural and social death. Old Griffonstone is based on a false hope - object over people. Now the hope is friendship will bring a renewal. The down attitude is a narrative need TBH. Otherwise it limits the impact that Gilda would have.

• Brohoof 1

(edited)

The cyclops goat monster thing looks a bit like Tirek which might be why he feels like he is from G1. 

Nahh I just felt that after the Smooze there was a trend going on that they were recalling some G1 references back.

I think the message of this episode was great. To put all your hopes on an object is bad because that object can be taken away or destroyed. But with friendship (yes corny) if broken can be rebuilt any time.

Edited by cidershield

Her being informed of Griffonstone wasn't that annoying. It just didn't surprise me that, once again, this was the method used for learning about something we didn't know before, just like the sirens in Rainbow Rocks. It's as if Twilight has literally become a walking exposition machine, as if her being a walking deus ex machina wasn't bad enough.

The guidebook was annoying simply because Twilight clearly feels the need to handhold them through the entire thing. As if she doesn't trust them to handle the mission themselves without screwing up in some way.

She's not a walking deus ex machina machine. Have you not watched this season at all? I count several instances where she failed and needed others' help to solve her problems.

Also, she was giving them a guidebook because they knew NOTHING about where they were going. Are you seriously complaining about her helping her friends out?

Hasbro should take your advice and rename the show My Little Pony: Friendship Is Annoying

• Brohoof 7

I hadn't even noticed till now but yes I agree. I really like how this episode brought back Twilight's adorkable side. <333333

But did the Griffon have to do it in such a b***hy way?

I mean, there's pragmatism... and then there's sociopathy.

But hey at least she apologized in the end right?

• Brohoof 2

I hadn't even noticed till now but yes I agree. I really like how this episode brought back Twilight's adorkable side. <333333

You got that damn right. And I really laughed a lot on this episode like when Rainbow Dash said. Twilight is practically that book.

It was a cute little episode. Can't say that I ever thought I could start to like Gilda, but it only proves that it's a great episode and Amy Keating Rogers did a very good job. The characterization was perfect, especially that of Pinkie Pie. She was super cute and realy funny. I also liked the visuals during Twlight's speech about griffons. Wow, it was amazing!

(edited)

This....was not a good episode to me. For being an episode (half) revolving around Pinkie, it wasn't very funny, the griffons being complete jerks was, like i said before, predictable to anyone who knows about the relationship between griffons and horses in Greek mythology, and speaking of griffons.....Gilda. Just her being there was enough to annoy me. And her reformation was unneeded. There was no reason for it, except "cuz friendship".

Edited by ggg-2

(edited)

Well is there anything wrong with going to great lengths to help 2 of your closest friends? Because that's all she was doing. She was only trying to help.

There's "helping" and there's "handholding." 

Rainbow and Pinkie need some additional directions? Fine. 

But giving explicit instructions of what to do, where to go, and who to talk to in order to solve a problem that you know absolutely nothing about? 

I guess Pinkie and Rainbow aren't quite grown up yet to handle the big stuff, at least in Twilight's mind. 

Edited by Cleverclover

Nahh I just felt that after the Smooze there was a trend going on that they were recalling some G1 references back.

I think the message of this episode was great. To put all your hopes on an object is bad because that object can be taken away or destroyed. But with friendship (yes corny) if broken can be rebuilt any time.

Well I think McCarthy wants to bring back more G1 characters but I don't know if this character counted as G1. The way you described the lesson reminds me of a bible passage. Very true. 

This flashback of young Gilda and Rainbow sum up the episode:

The story of Griffonstone is in effect the larger story of Gilda's friendship with Rainbow. Both Griffonstone and Gilda go through a time of conflict and suffering, then find happiness and friendship that brings everyone together, but then they face conflict and struggle which they lose their way, suffering loss and suffering once more. The reunion at the end makes it all the more bittersweet - a lost kingdom finds its former glory through its people, and lost friends find their own friendship again through themselves.

I honestly almost wanted to cry when I watched this episode. The stories of Griffonstone and Gilda are both tragic and awe inspiring. This episode really helped improve my respect for both Rainbow and Gilda, along with adding great depth to FIM.

• Brohoof 2

I thought this episode was very nice, bringing Gilda back. I didn't think she would return. It's certainly not perfect and it brings up some questions like "where is this Griffon Kingdom?" and "Why couldn't Gilda have spread Friendship on her own terms at the Griffin Kingdom, at least before she lost her friendship with Rainbow Dash?" Overall, I liked the episode and I think more episodes with one or two main characters are better than all six (or seven). 

(edited)

The only flaws with this episode were the guide abandoning Rainbow Dash, and the resolution. I found it hard to believe that every griffon was greedy. And the resolution felt rather rushed. Gilda could have easily gotten the idol and saved Pinkie and Rainbow at the same time. But, maybe Gilda will show up as an ally during the finale. At the very least she got some character development, which she desperately needed.

Edited by smitty121325
  • Brohoof 1

But giving explicit instructions of what to do, where to go, and who to talk to in order to solve a problem that you know absolutely nothing about? 

I guess Pinkie and Rainbow aren't quite grown up yet to handle the big stuff, at least in Twilight's mind. 

You hate Twilight, simple as that. Each argument of yours simply goes around how Twilight is a Mary Sue, and nothing more. She was literally not being just a Princess, she was literally being the very same character we saw growing up through the series, and now that we are on Season 5, you are treating it like if it was a disease that needs to be destroyed.

She was adorkable, she was being a nerdy that likes to look up for information, and that still is worried about her friends. Friends can be worried about each other and try to help on what they can, and what she did was precisely on character, as I said before.

You in a nutshell is basically that Twilight's good actions, no matter what, are Mary Sue-related, which is one of the weakest arguments that I've ever heard on my entire life. You ignore her personality, and you just seem to watch an empty shell that seems to be perfect.  And let me tell you, that's not true at all

• Brohoof 4

But giving explicit instructions of what to do, where to go, and who to talk to in order to solve a problem that you know absolutely nothing about?

Yeah, telling your friends things like "go to the library for more information" is so offensive to their intelligence.

You know, I doubt they would have even known there was a library there, considering the state it was in. Seriously, why do you try so hard to find reasons to hate Twilight. Do yourself and all of us a favor and stop trying so hard and just sit back and enjoy this show about pastel ponies made for little girls so a company can sell it's stupid toys.

M'kay?

• Brohoof 2

Well, that was weird, though I'd be lying if I said this wasn't the first time I've seen an episode when the forum was down.  That's not a knock against the forums, that's just a sad testament to how long I've been here.  :derp:  Anyways, forums are back up, no harm, no foul, and this episode was a lot of fun and had a lot of cool new canon material.  I'll get a full review up later everypony, I've got some homework to do right, so have a nice afternoon ya'll!

sig-3782063.lwazz.jpg

Because you're you, my mind immediately thought of this after reading that: 

:please:

When did I call her a "Mary Sue?"

You didn't necesariely called her that, but according to all your arguments, and all the sarcasm that you use (which only makes arguments weaker)

“Oh, thank you so much, Mother Twily! We really appreciate you for holding our hooves through this whole thing since we can barely tell left from right ourselves! Maybe later at lunchtime you can cut the crusts off of our PB&J sandwiches and stick the straws in our juiceboxes! Oh, and after lunch, you can read us a story while you tuck us in bed for a long nap after our very first friendship mission without you!” 

Only reinforces my view.

• Brohoof 3

As far as Twilight trying to micromanage RD and Pinkie, It fits her character very well.

We are dealing with arguably the two least intelligent members of the mane 6 and I'm sure the chaotic events of the last map quest were still heavy on Twilight's mind. Of course she would be worried about her two friends and try to help them the only way she knew how.

• Brohoof 4

Yeah, telling your friends things like "go to the library for more information" is so offensive to their intelligence.

Is it not?! 

Is that seriously something that they can't be expected to do themselves if they're in need of additional information? I mean, seriously...? 

Seriously, why do you try so hard to find reasons to hate Twilight.

Well, I'm currently looking for any proof I can to show that the mane five actually aren't useless without Twilight, even though season 4 hammered that notion into our heads multiple times. So naturally, you can't blame me for finding Twilight handholding Dash and Pinkie through their mission together to be just the slightest bit irritating. 

Sorry. I couldn't get onto the Forums while the episode was running.

Okay, I'll mention this much:

• The best part of the episode for me is the fact we've returned to the Cutie Map that leads the needed ponies (In this case, Rainbow Dash and Pinkie Pie) to a new location for a friendship problem to be solve. Last Season, it was the Tree of Harmony, its Chest, and the Keys to unlocking it; This season's story arc is about the Cutie Map leading our heroes to where they are needed.
  • Glida's return was obvious. Although, they must have meant for this return to happen as in Season 4's It Ain't Easy Being Breezies! when Rainbow said, "I've always wonder what it would be like to be a Griffon", it was clear that she didn't forget Gilda ;)  I'm not wild about her, but I'm glad she came back! Heck, I'd be shocked if she didn't show up!
  • In the flashback, those boy bullies that bullied Young Gilda were flatter characters than Flash Sentry. (Anti-Flash Bash shield to protect me from those who bash either Flash's character activate)
  • Like Twilight, I was upset the map left her out, but it DID led to Rainbow doing an awesome impression of her. :lol:  As Pinkie pointed out, Twilight would have been devasted seeing the destroyed library of Griffonstone.

That's all for me, now to read all of you guys and gals' posts.

I only liked that statue flirting Pinkie did in this episode :)

But i was sorta on the scale. It seems that place had more problems on a different scale than "GET A FRIEND AND IT WILL FIX ITSELF!" Not trying to mock the ideal of MLP, but it just felt really out of place, and Gilda is like a prideful griffin, i think her weaker voice would have worked better if it was her consciousness talking or something. But overall it was pretty cool seeing where griffin lives etc ^^

I have one major problem with the moral's approach. Here, Pinkie and Dash realize that the reason Griffonstone is in such trouble is because they're not friends with each other. Nononononononononono!

Griffinstone is a wasteland. There's nothing exciting or endearing about this place. The houses are rundown. There's no food, no water. It's desolate out there, and chances are they don't get much rain by how dry the ground and sky look. Present-day griffons have every reason to be grumpy: While others such as Ponyville thrive, Griffonstone looks war-torn.

Someone here implicated how greed can lead to problems in society and friendship to heal itself for the future. The problem is there's a deep disconnect between what the moral is trying to say and what they're saying. The griffons here aren't greedy. They're fighting for survival. They don't ask for money at any given turn without reason. As comedic as many of the scenes are, the griffons are in very deep trouble. If they don't ask for money, they starve and will die.

The episode treats the moral as a one-size-fit-all solution to Griffinstone's problems (and by association, others in real life). That doesn't work. Even if society is welcoming and friends with each other, that still won't solve the economic and agricultural turmoil. Friendship can only build so much, and it's a false pretense to believe otherwise. Sure, it's a start to maybe building Griffinstone back up, but the griffins are in a life-or-death predicament, and they don't completely treat it as such.

• Brohoof 5

For my thoughts on this episode I have to say that it's nice to finally see them do more with the Griffin Race. Also I see now that TV Tropes was wrong about Gilda being Neutral Evil. I'd say she's Chaotic Neutral.