Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Muslim Discussions and Questions

NonbinaryDuck

Hey everyone! I may soon convert from being an atheist, to being Muslim. I've been reading things of religion lately, and for some reason I have a strange yet calming connection towards the Muslim religion.

Whoops, hehe getting somewhat off topic. Anyway, I saw a thread for Christians, and I was like "Come on, there has to be at least one Muslim here on the forums..?" This thread will be a good opportunity for Muslims to discuss about their religion and possibly answer some questions.

Thank you very much everyone! Please, enjoy yourselves, and may Allah be with you. :)

• Brohoof 2

How do you interpret Quran 9:29 (in context it was revealed in 630 AD, which was carried out by later caliphs too and later gens)

And Quran 3:110 and Quran 98:6

(edited)

@@NonbinaryDuck,

As someone who is a friend to all faiths, I am happy for you.  :)  

Might I ask what exactly it was that you felt made this particular religion call to you, and why did you feel that being without one was no longer satisfying to you?

I only ask because I hear far too many tales of people turning away from religion yet not that many of people turning to it.

(Actually, as someone who's not a Muslim, should I even be hear?)

Edited by Steel Accord

My sister's fiance is Muslim and Ingotta say he is one of the most intellegent, funny, and kindest people I have ever met.

• Brohoof 2

@@NonbinaryDuck,

As someone who is a friend to all faiths, I am happy for you.  :)  

Might I ask what exactly it was that you felt made this particular religion call to you, and why did you feel that being without one was no longer satisfying to you?

I only ask because I hear far too many tales of people turning away from religion yet not that many of people turning to it.

(Actually, as someone who's not a Muslim, should I even be hear?)

(You can stay here, after all you may have questions regarding of the religion, so it's good seeing people wanting to be educated! :) )

Hmm, I'm not sure.. The context and things I've seen of (especially pictures of Allah) seems very real to me.. Almost as if I lived this life before. Now, I'm not completely educated with religion, so I cannot say exactly about it.. But uh, yeah. Also I wssmt really, well, unsatisfied with being an atheist xD it's more of.. Discovering a bit more of myself. Christianity to me is not only.. Uh.. Violent.. But most people who I know use it against others, so maybe that part also concluded and further motivated me to stay away from it :(.

I hope this explains a bit, I need to research this stuff more before jumping into conclusions.

How do you interpret Quran 9:29 (in context itwas revealed in 630 AD, which was carried out by later caliphs too and later gens)

And Quran 3:110 and Quran 98:6

Apart of religion I believe is where you have to set certain standards. For example of regarding Quran 9:29, I do not believe of fighting those who do not dedicate their lives worshipping Allah, let alone those who do not believe in such religion. Again, most religious contexts I know has some pinch of ignorance and bewilder, but regardless of so I accept everyone, not just those who believe in Allah :)

Also Quran 3:110.. If I'm not mistaken, doesn't this one glorify polytheists and say basically that if you do not believe in such God, they are not as great as we are? Sorry I'm forgetful ahh, but if it is that, we shouldn't put religions on shelfs to see which one is on the highest most adored and "right" religion.

Quran 98:6 is, yet again, reminds me of how most religions are like. I'm not surprised, but disappointed. Some may be flexible with their religion, and I believe that's okay. I'm just shocked about "They are the worst creatures." *sigh* I'm not exactly sure how to feel about this, but I only believe those who go to "you know where" are people who've done bad, not those of different beliefs, regardless if in the same religion.

I apologize if anything I said threw anyone off, my adhd prevents me from saying things without getting mixed up.. Ahhh! Have a nice day! :)

• Brohoof 2

Hmm, I'm not sure.. The context and things I've seen of (especially pictures of Allah) seems very real to me.

I thought picturing God was explicitly against Islamic teaching?  :huh:  

Christianity to me is not only.. Uh.. Violent.. But most people who I know use it against others, so maybe that part also concluded and further motivated me to stay away from it .   I hope this explains a bit, I need to research this stuff more before jumping into conclusions.

Wow, thanks. (Sarcasm) >_> 

Research indeed, I've been hit with Bible verses more heavily by atheists than I have ever heard a Christian use them as a weapon. When I said "friend of all faiths" I said that speaking as a Syncretic Christian and I can assure you we are not a violent religion and should do a better job a policing ourselves against those who are.

(You can PM me for religious questions, I'm something of an amateur theologian, which is why I asked here in the first place, I'm lacking knowledge on Islam.)

To me, religion seems kinda pointless if you think about it. People let religion guide them, change their lives and tell them how they should live.

There are a lot of does and don'ts for each of them.  To me a religion shouldn't really tell you how to live your life. Most of the commandments are just common sense. Don't kill, don't steal. That sort of thing. 

But I understand people need something to go to that tell them what to do, people get lost and seek direction.  But the cling to that to much and they end up thinking how someone wants them to instead of thinking for themselves. That's how he end up with ridicules.

That and sometimes they start thinking that their way is better, that others should follow what they follow and that everyone elses way is wrong.

That goes for everyone. Even the atheists. 

I mean some people can't think for themselves and get so desperate to believe in something that they create a new religion so they have something to guide them. And people will end up following it as well.   Hell, thee might just make a religion so they can make money off it. Like Scientology or other cults.

Religion is a cash cow if you say the right things. 

And people believe this junk. I mean take a look at Mormonism! It's like the diaries of a madman.

But this is just how I think. And the only "religion", if you want to call it that, I fit with is Dudeism. And its based off of a movie. A good movie at that.

It's pretty much how I live day to day before I even heard about it.

Let thing be as they are. If you can't change anything, oh well. Just abide and relax.

(edited)

What's the general philosophy around it?

I haven't heard a lot about just a few things that went though one ear and out the other. Pretty short attention span. 

Edited by Gloomfury
  • Brohoof 2

Wow, thanks. (Sarcasm) >_>

Research indeed, I've been hit with Bible verses more heavily by atheists than I have ever heard a Christian use them as a weapon. When I said "friend of all faiths" I said that speaking as a Syncretic Christian and I can assure you we are not a violent religion and should do a better job a policing ourselves against those who are.

(You can PM me for religious questions, I'm something of an amateur theologian, which is why I asked here in the first place, I'm lacking knowledge on Islam.)

Sorry, I meant as in pictures of scriptures and such of Islamic religion. I apologize, I'm plugged up due to summer allergies and I'm feeling a lil loopsy. My honest mistake. :/

Also when I say violent, I really mean as in the past of Christianity. (Including racist, homophobic, sexist stuff, etc.) I apologize for offending you. Once again, I definitely need to learn to not jump to conclusions, especially when I feel like I'm gonna pass out lol.

• Brohoof 1

Sorry, I meant as in pictures of scriptures and such of Islamic religion. I apologize, I'm plugged up due to summer allergies and I'm feeling a lil loopsy. My honest mistake. :/

Also when I say violent, I really mean as in the past of Christianity. (Including racist, homophobic, sexist stuff, etc.) I apologize for offending you. Once again, I definitely need to learn to not jump to conclusions, especially when I feel like I'm gonna pass out lol.

Apology accepted and I'm sorry you are not feeling well. 

The good news is I know for a fact you are not the only Muslim here.

Allah loves the faithful believer as a loving God should. Allah is one and does not share his divinity.

If these are true, who did Allah love before he had created mankind?

Perhaps other sapient races on planets older than ours? The animals that share our world?

In fact, what is the Muslim, or at least your personal take on how Allah views the animal and plant kingdoms?

Let's keep this thread on track people. I hid a few posts that were either disrespectful or quoting said posts.

Let's be civil here as the thread idea is a good one.

Thanks. :)

• Brohoof 2

(edited)

Let's keep this thread on track people. I hid a few posts that were either disrespectful or quoting said posts.

Let's be civil here as the thread idea is a good one.

Thanks. :)

Ey don't go all CNN and ABC news on me. Those where valid questions ^^. But i'll just ignore this thread then ;)

Edit: Also to the user, if you have not read islamic theology i can give you a tip incase you wonder how to understand it in general. Its friendly dont worry i dont bite :)

The biggest mistake is to read the quran first, because you wont understand a hoot of it if you don't understand the context of muhammad's life, which is the mistake i did first. I would recommend first to read

"Sahih al-Bukhari" the most authentic hadith collection.

http://sunnah.com/bukhari

You don't need to read other hadiths than that, this is enough to get you to understand the basics, most hadiths are basically the same with a few exceptions. You can compare it if you where reading the 4 gospels, they are all the same but with small differences.

After that read sira (I am unsure what i should recommend. Because i read a critical sita analysis from an author who translates summaries from al-tabari, ibn hisham and al-waqidi, and goes deep into the valid part of it etc and critical part of it, since some muslims say it varies on authenticity and isnads, so i would recommend to basically find a source that can be critical of the original sira source. Sira basically has no theological value in terms of doing what it tells you, but its used by muslims to give you an insight of context to what it  was like in pre islamic and muhammad's life time, you also get insight to muhammad's origin etc)

And nooow, you should read the quran.

Although i plan to read from this one, basically starting from nr.1. Reason is that, unlike the bible the quran is a chronological mess. So i think reading it in chronological order might make it less confusing.

http://wikiislam.net/wiki/Chronological_Order_of_the_Qur%27an

For example i click the first one to read that, then i click the next one and read it there. So i can read it with a breeze ^^

Edited by Trine

I am not a Muslim but have studied the Muslim faith and can say that it shares quite a lot in common with the Jewish and Christian traditions. Muslims believe in one god, the word Islam itself literally means to "surrender" the surrender they are referring to is the surrender to God. Muslims recognize the ancient Hebrew prophets such as Moses, Jeremiah, Ezekiel ect as well as Jesus Christ as prophets. The difference though is that Muslims do not believe that Jesus Christ is a messiah but merely one in a long line of prophets with Muhammad being the last prophet giving Gods last revelation of mankind.

Muhammad grew up in difficult circumstances, he was orphaned at a young age and had to have his uncle raise him. In large part because of this one of the things Muhammad emphasized the most is in giving to the poor and vulnerable in society. The Muslim faith has 5 main "pillars" of beliefs that are regarded as most important. It is generally believed that Muhammad had this revelation revealed by God through the angel Gabriel. 

1. Shahadah: "there is no god but Allah and Muhammad is his messenger". Allah is essentially the Arabic word for God which has been used by Arab Jews and Christians to refer to God long before the Muslim faith existed.

2. Salat: pray 5 times a day toward the holy city of Mecca.

3. Zakat: giving 2.5% of income to the poor and needy

4. Sawm: fasting during the holy month of Ramadan. 

5.Hajj: go on a pilgrimage to Mecca once in your life if you are able.

• Brohoof 1

Not a muslim but it isn't in all denominations. Like Christianity there are tonnes of versions of Islam. The whole "you can't portray Muhammad " isn't explicitly banned in the quran,  its discouraged in some haddiths, but allowed in others. And some sects allow it whilst others don't.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Depictions_of_Muhammad#Background

• Brohoof 1

(edited)

Not a muslim but it isn't in all denominations. Like Christianity there are tonnes of versions of Islam. The whole "you can't portray Muhammad " isn't explicitly banned in the quran,  its discouraged in some haddiths, but allowed in others. And some sects allow it whilst others don't.

I think the purpose all goes down to intent and if Muslims remember that than they are honoring the prohibition on graven images. The intent was a concern Muhammad had about being deified which is understandable as he believed that Jesus never intended to be seen as divine but knew that he of course was still eventually seen that way. Naturally some would interpret that more strictly which gives us some rather unfortunate situations like with cartoonists being threatened and murdered for depictions of Muhammad by some more extreme Muslims. The irony behind this is it actually has the reverse effect of the intention which Muhammad would likely be disturbed by if he was still alive.

Edited by Darth Bane
  • Brohoof 1

Seriously, I know there are other Muslim bronies on the Forum, I've talked to them. They don't see this? It just seems a tad odd that we are talking about a religion with no present practitioners of said faith.