Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Celestia's Work Will Be Doubled

Linguz

I'm sure a lot of you haven't heard about this, but a star 1300 light years from Earth could go supernova at a point in time from today to 100,000 years later. What makes this interesting though, is what it will bring when it happens: a second sun for a few weeks at least.

Read more about it here: [link]

What do you all think of this?

Edited by Linguz

Interesting indeed. If the theory is correct and we can benefit from it then I'd say I want it to happen now. :P

Then again, if it keeps the night sky lit up that could be a little bit of a problem for night time wildlife, don't you think?

(Quoting off website for anypony who decided not to read the small amount of text on it.)

Interesting indeed. If the theory is correct and we can benefit from it then I'd say I want it to happen now. :P

Then again, if it keeps the night sky lit up that could be a little bit of a problem for night time wildlife, don't you think?

In fact, a neutrino shower could be beneficial to Earth. According to Carter this "star stuff" makes up the universe. "It literally makes things like gold, silver - all the heavy elements - even things like uranium....a star like Betelgeuse is instantly forming for us all sorts of heavy elements and atoms that our own Earth and our own bodies have from long past supernovi," said Carter.

It could be beneficial, but the night time wildlife will definitely suffer. Nothing we can do though.

Wait, Betelgeuse is collapsing? I guess Orion will never be the same. Since Betelgeuse is a supergiant, I wonder if it will leave a black hole?

The explosion could also cause a neutron star or result in the formation of a black hole 1300 light years from Earth

Either a black hole or a neutron star. And it's been collapsing for a long time, that article is from the 24th of January of this year. Edited by Linguz

Chances are it won't happen in our lifetime. I would certainly love to see it though, just hope all the crazy 2012ers keep away from it (Yeah that's certainly gonna happen :P) I'm always hoping SOMETHING spectacular will be happening in my lifetime though :P

I'm curious to see if it will cause any noticeable buildup of extraterrestrial sediment here on our little blue speck though. Probably nothing much, but I'm sure we're bound to get at least a little.

I'm curious to see if it will cause any noticeable buildup of extraterrestrial sediment here on our little blue speck though. Probably nothing much, but I'm sure we're bound to get at least a little.

It's a sun, so no soil. But if you read the article, we will get bombarded by things that don't hurt us.

Or completely nullified. Like they state in the article, we might have eternal day, the opposite of what Nightmare Moon wants.

Heheheh...

Celestia: What's that Luna? You want eternal night? I think not! ETERNAL DAY!

Or completely nullified. Like they state in the article, we might have eternal day, the opposite of what Nightmare Moon wants.

Heheheh...

Celestia: What's that Luna? You want eternal night? I think not! ETERNAL DAY!

TROLLESTIA STRIKES AGAIN!

• 7 years later...
  • 4 years later...