Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

spoiler Why Did Rainbow Dash Move to Ponyville on Her Birthday?

flutterbard

In he episode Pinkie Pride, we learn that Rainbow Dash moved to Ponyville on her birthday.  Surely there had to be a reason. Why do you guys think that Rainbow Dash moved to Ponyville on her birthday?

I think the writers just wanted to give a reason to double celebrate.

Maybe we will find out one day.

• Brohoof 1

I have always wondered about this myself. Is she even moved to Ponyville at this point? We never see her house being there in the vicinity, but I suppose it is. It doesn't even seem like she lives there, more like 'floating above'. :P

As for her reasoning, that's a thing I think needs a bit more backstory. Unless she just wanted something different than clouds. Ponyville does have more variety.

• Brohoof 1

Dash is pretty independent, I could see her becoming whatever age ponies are when they're no longer considered minors and moving out on her own. Maybe Fluttershy had a birthday party for her in Ponyville and she decided to stay.

• Brohoof 2

Rainbow Dash has a confident and independent streak a mile wide. She's always trying to prove herself, either to herself or others. I suspect she moved out the day she was legally able to just to prove she could take care of herself.

Ponyville seems to be in relatively close proximity to Cloudsdale, though (or did, before it was revealed Cloudsdale actually moves), so she may have chosen Ponyville not because it was exciting, but because it was near enough for visits home (Element of Loyalty, remember), and perhaps because they had a vacant weather pony position open.

• Brohoof 1

Her house looks pretty cool and expensive so something tells me that on the birthday that she was old enough to be considered an adult pony, her parents, who are really well off, gave her this house that is above Ponyville. Some time after that she got a job with the weather team in Ponyville.

(edited)

Perhaps because the writers were decided to troll when they wrote the script 

FANMADE_Rainbow_Dash_shrug.jpg

Edited by JonasDarkmane

I'm pretty sure she still technically lives in Cloudsdale.  When the other five visited her house at the end of Tanks, didn't it show Cloudsdale in the exposition shot before showing the inside of her home?  I think she just commutes to Ponyville.  It's like a 5 sec flight for her.

(edited)

Her boss' birthday gift to her the year before was a promotion to becoming lead weather pony in Ponyville.  B)

I'm pretty sure she still technically lives in Cloudsdale.  When the other five visited her house at the end of Tanks, didn't it show Cloudsdale in the exposition shot before showing the inside of her home?  I think she just commutes to Ponyville.  It's like a 5 sec flight for her.

Her cloud house is near Ponyville and is not part of Cloudsdale. Cloudsdale likely shifts positions as it is a cloud city and has to for when the ponies of different places bring rainwater from some reservoir to the city for processing as rainclouds for all of Equestria. It sometimes is shown close to Ponyville and others times is out of the vicinity.

Edited by estoc

I got a question about Rainbow Dash and her lodgings.

In Return of Harmony (Discord's first appearance). When the mane six turned gray, and Discord was lying to Rainbow Dash that Cloudsdale could be in trouble, Dash said she would run away to Cloudsdale to save it but she ended up just lying on a cloud when Twilight and Co. approached her. What gives?

Here's what I think.

Fluttershy likely moved to Ponyville shortly after discovering what she preferred being on the ground with the animals. Maybe RD visited her to have her birthday party

I got a question about Rainbow Dash and her lodgings.

In Return of Harmony (Discord's first appearance). When the mane six turned gray, and Discord was lying to Rainbow Dash that Cloudsdale could be in trouble, Dash said she would run away to Cloudsdale to save it but she ended up just lying on a cloud when Twilight and Co. approached her. What gives?

It was shown she thought that cloud was Cloudsdale. They compared it to the situation with Rarity and Tom.

Rainbow Dash has a confident and independent streak a mile wide. She's always trying to prove herself, either to herself or others. I suspect she moved out the day she was legally able to just to prove she could take care of herself.

Ponyville seems to be in relatively close proximity to Cloudsdale, though (or did, before it was revealed Cloudsdale actually moves), so she may have chosen Ponyville not because it was exciting, but because it was near enough for visits home (Element of Loyalty, remember), and perhaps because they had a vacant weather pony position open.

I agree with Red Cedar about her becoming an adult and wanting to move out, but as far as her reason for choosing Ponyville, I think it had a lot to do with the first episode. We see Twilight having to convince the relaxing Rainbow to do her job and clear the clouds, which she does in ten seconds, so I think it's reasonable to say that RD chose Ponyville partly because it is an easy job that would allow for more time to practice her flying (and napping)!   :kindness:

Here's what I think.

Fluttershy likely moved to Ponyville shortly after discovering what she preferred being on the ground with the animals. Maybe RD visited her to have her birthday party

Pretty much your idea is my headcanon; RD moved to ponyville because she wanted to be with fluttershy as a friend, and didn't really have anything tying her down in cloudsdale jobwise due to getting kicked out of flight academy.

She probably then got her job in town and things kind of stuck there.

• Brohoof 1

Angelbabe gave me the impression that it was something of a coming of age situation.  Oh, and she claimed to have experienced an epic quest between Cloudsdale and Ponyville that involved "hideous monsters, many dungeons that needed exploring, and perhaps a treasure or two."  I think she's full of it. x3

Episode 1, Dash is in charge of clearing the sky for The Summer Sun Celebration.  Winter Wrap Up and Hurricane Fluttershy she seems to be in charge of the Pegasi.  IMO, she was a weather pony for awhile then moved to Ponyville when promoted to head of that department.  It was just a coincidence it was her birthday.

As to "Why was she put in charge of the Ponyville Weather Department?"  IMO, Celestia knew that Nightmare Moon was coming, gathered the Mane 6 there, & put a national celebration in a hick town in the middle of nowhere so the Mane 6 would meet & be near the castle to defeat her.  But that's another post & way off topic here.

It is not explicitly stated that Dash was in charge of the weather ponies in Ponyville, but she certainly acts like she is.

Dash is pretty independent, I could see her becoming whatever age ponies are when they're no longer considered minors and moving out on her own. Maybe Fluttershy had a birthday party for her in Ponyville and she decided to stay.

Something like this, I would say. Maybe her getting "kicked out" had something to do with it, too?

My headcanon is that Rainbow Dash got a job with weather management. Then she was promoted and transferred to Ponyville. It just so happened to be on her Birthday.

Maybe she just wanted to move out on her own as soon as she could, and the weather management position was open in Ponyville. She does seem like the kind to want to speed along to adulthood as soon as possible. She did mentioned she was the first in her class to get her cutie mark.