Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Tree Hugger's fan art has drugs In it?

Tom Snyder

I'm gonna guess you've never been around those people before, have you? I've known plenty who don't do shit like that, you don't hear hippie music playing when she appears; so why agree with those who portray her in such a way?

Never said that all hippies act like stoners or vice versa.

Its just that stoner subculture erupted from hippy subculture. They're very well interconnected. Its kind of easy to see where people would make the connection, and as far as fanart goes its not exactly that bad. I mean we already have a fandom alcoholic, why not a stoner?

• Brohoof 1

you don't hear hippie music playing

Uhhhh technically you do. Give her scenes a watch again, she has a hippie leimotif and there's no doubt that subculture is the inspiration to her character. 

• Brohoof 2

Uhhhh technically you do. Give her scenes a watch again, she has a hippie leitmotif and there's no doubt that subculture is the inspiration to her character. 

If i missed that, then my bad. 

I huge difference between being a stoner; is the amount you use. It just doesn't sit well with me at all; they're ruining her by doing this. How many do you see of her with fluttershy, getting stoned? how many of her smoking it? I'm so peeved about it.

• Brohoof 1

I'm so peeved about it.

Disproportionately so, I would think. You are not wrong in saying this, but just don't look at the fan art. If you have such a problem with it, create your own art that shows Tree Hugger hanging out with a Tikoloshe or something.

• Brohoof 1

@ appears to have beaten me to the punch in giving my thoughts.

I would assume that this fanart is of her using pot, and I mean, you can have whatever headcanons you want for all I care. I get how it might be frustrating to see people relying on stereotypes to make headcanons but this thread doesn't seem to be about that. It seems to be about how Tree Hugger is being "ruined" by being portrayed as a pot smoker.

I have a lot of friends who use pot, and none of them are bad people for it. It's their choice, and they're all wonderful people who I love dearly. Using pot doesn't make them beneath people who don't, and I really don't like the insinuation that it does. If Tree Hugger uses (not that she does, it is a kids' show after all), then that doesn't make me like her any less. She's still a sweet, adorable little pony, every bit as much in my eyes regardless of her personal choice in this matter.

• Brohoof 5

It's the internet so not really a surprise there. Best thing I can tell you is ignore that artwork and avoid it. I agree with the OP but nothing really we can do about it you know.

• Brohoof 1

I don't know any hippie types, but I do know a lot of stoners, so I'm guessing there isn't much overlap, even if it seems like there would be.  But in any case, I do like that they've made her into a stoner, even if she probably isn't. I mean, we've already got a drunk with Berry Punch, so Tree Hugger kind of complements that.

Also, it's just pot. Calm down. Have you ever even smoked pot? You know what pot does to you? In my experience, it just makes you more relaxed and you want to sit around listening to music or watching TV.  That's it.

• Brohoof 2

(edited)

I don't know any hippie types, but I do know a lot of stoners, so I'm guessing there isn't much overlap, even if it seems like there would be.  But in any case, I do like that they've made her into a stoner, even if she probably isn't. I mean, we've already got a drunk with Berry Punch, so Tree Hugger kind of complements that.

Also, it's just pot. Calm down. Have you ever even smoked pot? You know what pot does to you? In my experience, it just makes you more relaxed and you want to sit around listening to music or watching TV.  That's it.

That depends on how much you use; it can have harmful effects if abused. I'm not saying people who use it are bad, just that turning her into this stoner image isn't the best way to represent her.

Edited by Candy Star
  • Brohoof 1

(edited)

Uhhh why? I get its existence but why would its absence be cause for concern?

I just think it would be odd if the concept of her being a stoner didn't to occur to anyone.

Also I didn't think my post would be taken seriously.

Edited by SpaceOnion
  • Brohoof 2

I just think it would be odd if the concept of her being a stoner didn't to occur to anyone.

Also I didn't think my post would be taken seriously.

You've obviously never met me before. Let's just say that Drax the Destroyer from Guardians of the Galaxy was a character I identified quite strongly with, almost to the point where it got uncomfortable how close our mutual literalism seemed to be.

sig-3776205.sig-3776205.Tree-Hugger-FlutI like this one, even if she only appears for one episode, but now people are making fan art of her doing drugs, really? That's sick and real shameful.

....Uh.. I'm confused-- what gives out that it makes her look like "she's doing drugs"?

Dreadlocks =/= Bob Marley 420 blaze it, that's just plain out racist if you assume of such.

One thing I've learned since watching this show is that the fandom is going to do what the fandom does. If it can be imagined, it will materialize. You don't have to agree with all of it because it has no effect on the show itself. Everyone's free to have their own interpretation. 

And lets face it, pot is one of the milder substances she could be depicted using.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FUJYI0fjSik

• Brohoof 1

This is completely irrelevant to racism.

How is that picture shown though make her a stoner? And when you equate black features (wooly hair, dreadlocks, cornrows, etc.) to "stoner-esque- B.S., that is racist. Unless if OP is implying in general people are making her a stoner, then yeah that's messed up, but the picture in general shown she does not look like a stoner.

(edited)

How is that picture shown though make her a stoner? And when you equate black features (wooly hair, dreadlocks, cornrows, etc.) to "stoner-esque- B.S., that is racist. Unless if OP is implying in general people are making her a stoner, then yeah that's messed up, but the picture in general shown she does not look like a stoner.

Thought of Africans didn't even come to mind. Her appearance is part of it (in terms of being depicted as hippie and not as one of African descent) but is not why people are saying she appears to be under influence of drugs; it's much more so because of her extremely relaxed behaviour in-show. We're talking about Tree Hugger and her depiction as being part of a culture group, not an ethnic group.

Edited by Tsaritsa Luna
  • Brohoof 1

If you look up lots of pictures of Fluttershy, You'll eventually find one of her doing drugs.

If you look up lots of pictures of Rainbow Dash, You'll eventually find one of her doing drugs.

You'll find this with just about any character that is well liked. Even Maud.

When a certain character is well liked, then fan art is almost guaranteed.

And not all of it will be appropriate. But that doesn't necessarily make it bad.

Hell, i draw Grimdark and R34 stuff all the time, and a lot of Bronies wouldn't really approve of that.

But there's also a pretty good percent that do enjoy it. And that's a good think.

Having a diverse fandom is not bad.

If you look up lots of pictures of Fluttershy, You'll eventually find one of her doing drugs.

If you look up lots of pictures of Rainbow Dash, You'll eventually find one of her doing drugs.

You'll find this with just about any character that is well liked. Even Maud.

When a certain character is well liked, then fan art is almost guaranteed.

And not all of it will be appropriate. But that doesn't necessarily make it bad.

Hell, i draw Grimdark and R34 stuff all the time, and a lot of Bronies wouldn't really approve of that.

But there's also a pretty good percent that do enjoy it. And that's a good think.

Having a diverse fandom is not bad.

I do wish DeviantArt had filtering option for search though.

• Brohoof 1

Well, it doesn't really bother me too much as it's just fanart, and fanart doesn't always represent canon. So no, I don't think this type of fanart "ruins" her character; it's just what another artist wanted to depict her as based on his opinions of the character, and it has no effect on the character in the show.

If it really bugs you, my only suggestion would be to just try and ignore it, and remember that fanart and the source material are two very different things, and a few pieces of artwork that depict a character in a certain way rarely ever leave a huge impact on said character.

I do wish DeviantArt had filtering option for search though.

I don't know if DA has a blacklisting option. But if they don't, then yeah, it would be nice.

However, DA will censor some of the art that's a bit too inappropriate. So it's not like R34 or e621, where just about anything goes.

They do have a line that wont be crossed.

(edited)

I don't know if DA has a blacklisting option. But if they don't, then yeah, it would be nice.

However, DA will censor some of the art that's a bit too inappropriate. So it's not like R34 or e621, where just about anything goes.

They do have a line that wont be crossed.

For me, some of things I would want to filter are artworks which contain the following: feet are prominent, adult characters in diapers, unrealistically extremely overweight versions of characters, etc.

I inevitably see those so I would appreciate it if I could filter them.

Edited by Tsaritsa Luna
  • Brohoof 1

While i'm a bit against drugs and stereotype  but that's irrelevant you should have seen this coming because of obvious reasons and so what if there are pictures of her doing drugs, its not the darkest "sheep" of the fandom. Some rich wealthy people do drugs some of their success probably came from it too, drugs aren't necessarily a bad thing only when dealing with heavy drug use and dangerous kind.