Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Tree Hugger's fan art has drugs In it?

Tom Snyder

Oh, come on guys. It was absolutely forseeable she would end up in that sort of fan art for the mere reason that it would be impossible to reference in the actual show. Some people enjoy a tad of dark humor/black comedy from time to time, just let them.

I, for one, am not a stoner, nor I support them. Actually, I'm against it with all my will, yet sometimes this type of references actually crack a smile.

It's the internet folks, take it or leave it.

• Brohoof 1

That going overboard on one particular character.

Eh. Not really, whys a bong any different from a blunt? 

Same drug, different method of use.

• Brohoof 1

Eh. Not really, whys a bong any different from a blunt? 

Same drug, different method of use.

I don't know why i have a problem with it, maybe i'm just thinking too much into it.mlp-tconfused.png

Eh, I really like Tree Hugger and agree that it's a pretty unfunny/one-note joke - but really, with any hippie-type character, the stoner jokes were inevitable. Pretty sure they've been made before this about other MLP characters too...

But in terms of "disrespectful to the character"...of all the various non-show-friendly things ponies do in fanworks (R34, grimdark etc), it doesn't seem THAT bad? Of course, MLP would never show or allude to a character taking drugs because it's a kids' show, but there's nothing Tree Hugger did or said in the ep that would indicate she would be terribly against taking drugs. There's nothing in it to indicate she WOULD, either - she could very well just be ~high on life and super chill, and that's the interpretation of her I prefer, but it's not really like, Pinkamena-levels of opposite to show characterization :P Drugs are a controversial topic, I guess - personally I don't care if somepony smokes weed, if they enjoy it and it's not hurting anyone, there are much more harmful/dangerous things...

But if it helps, I've seen plenty of cute TH fanart with zero drugs references, so I guess it just depends where you look :D

• Brohoof 2

I've seen this art before the episode even aired. How do people enjoy doing that by making a joke out of it. I don't take it seriously, I know it's just humor, but drugs are disgusting and noxious to me. Plus, they show off the character around in everyone's faces when the episode hasn't even aired yet. Spoiling isn't an option, but really? It's a killjoy to show things off before they even happen.

giphy.gif

So what about her drinking hard cider too much

Even though i'm laughing, i'm a bit offended by it.

So, wait, I can understand not liking a stereotype, but why are you offended by these fanmade portrayals?

(edited)

Well, I love Tree Hugger and I'm already tired of the fandom drawing her smoking weed and whatnot, because they consider it funny and such.

There's nothing stopping someone with a wild imagination and a pen, I'll tell you that.

But I agree, it's very tiresome to see that kind of fanart, when she's really such a sweet character.

The thing is, fanart like that is everywhere, of every pony ever. Especially the mane 6. Fluttershy is also a really sweet character, but she's drawn... Doing a LOT of things she really wouldn't do..... I'm writing this in a careful manner now, I'm not going to spit out exactly what I mean. But I'm assuming most of you will understand what I mean.

Edited by darkwingmare
  • Brohoof 1

@

Not accusing or attacking you, but a lot of what you're saying contradicts itself.

'Even though I'm laughing, I'm a bit offended by it'

'Its not that i have a problem with it, but its just so out of character; it just ruins a character for me.'

You're pretty much saying 'I don't hate it, but I hate it.'

Also, you're not being very clear. Your reasons about the weed jumble around quite a bit and frankly, at this point, it feels like you're creating a argument for the sake of arguing.

(edited)

@

Not accusing or attacking you, but a lot of what you're saying contradicts itself.

'Even though I'm laughing, I'm a bit offended by it'

'Its not that i have a problem with it, but its just so out of character; it just ruins a character for me.'

You're pretty much saying 'I don't hate it, but I hate it.'

Also, you're not being very clear. Your reasons about the weed jumble around quite a bit and frankly, at this point, it feels like you're creating a argument for the sake of arguing.

Sort of a love/hate deal with me, i don't want to laugh; but it escapes me. So can't really say much else.

Edited by Candy Star

(edited)

The reason is that the portrayal is way off, and makes RD look like an idiot. And tree hugger is one of those ponies who grew on me, i just don't like seeing them being made fun of. And just because i laugh at it; doesn't make it for the sake of argument. I'm sure you have times where you have a hard time explaining soemthing to somebody else.

Edited by Candy Star

Wanna know how I get past that? I make sure that I don't hate fanmade portrayals of practically anything. Instead, I look at the time it took them to make it and marvel at their creativity or applaud them for their effort.

Like the .MOV pony series. It challenged every portrayal in the entire show and it was a masterpiece of videos. Or some of the art of Tree Hugger as a stoner is marvelous. Hell, how do you feel about Pinkamena going on a bloody murdering spree, the original big pony controversy?

The point is, you don't HAVE to take offense or let it annoy you. But if you DO, it's because you're letting yourself feel that way.

And btw, sometimes RD makes herself look like an idiot by herself. xD

What did you expect? They practically fed it to us on a silver bong with how spaced out and forgetful Tree Hugger was. I am not saying she in fact does smoke pot but it would not surprise me at all. The weed jokes were going to happen, I think most of us knew they were going to happen so the best thing to do if you don't like them is to ignore them. Even if Tree Hugger turned out to smoke wee every now and then would it really be the worst thing ever? Not really, weed isn't nearly as dangerous as cocaine, meth or LSD.

I highly doubt ponies do that stuff, even if off screen.

In the show of course not but offscreen is a different matter. Drugs probably exist in Equestria but since they will never mention that in the show what their views are on drugs is a matter of head cannon. They probably don't throw everyone in jail who uses but beyond that it is a good question as to what the legal status of various narcotics is in Equestria.

The fact that the first thing people think about is clopping instead of torture or murder baffles me.

It speaks to the really messed up views about sex and violence, sex seems  to for whatever reason freak people out more at least in the US but it seems to be a different story in many parts of Europe.

Oh no, you dislike fan art that you don't have to look at? You must overreact right now. 

The mushrooms are sprouting! The mushrooms are sprouting!

(Anypony who recognizes that ref gets a tip of my hat)

• Brohoof 1

The mushrooms are sprouting! The mushrooms are sprouting!

(Anypony who recognizes that ref gets a tip of my hat)

People are exaggerating what i'm saying, i don't hate these people; i'm not an evil person. Just wish it was toned down a bit; don't need anymore heat down on our heads.

(edited)

The general vibe I got from reading this thread is:

Sex       OK
Drugs   NOT OK

So what's the consensus on Rock 'n Roll?
I mean, if rock 'n roll is okay, and sex is okay, drugs gotta be okay too.

Edited by Solaire
  • Brohoof 2

(edited)

The reason is, because of this "hippie" stereotype people have. "Hippie people always do drugs." 

There's fanart about everything on the internet. It's always bound to happen.

Edited by PrincessWubsyButt~
  • Brohoof 1