Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Did you learn chemistry in school?

Allen

In school since 5th grade, I learned chemistry that includes the periodic table of the elements and with chemical compounds.

Knowing that "H2O" is water, "CO2" is carbon dioxide, "CO" is carbon monoxide, "NO2" is nitrogen dioxide, and "C12H22O11" is table sugar or sucrose.

Here's the periodic table:
PeriodicTableMuted.png

Not to be confused on this thread, do you learned chemistry before? Share your thoughts about you've learned in chemistry here.  :)

• Brohoof 2

We do a course on chemistry each year. From Year 7 (grade 7) to Year 10. And then in Year 11 and 12, you can choose if you want to do chemistry or not.

I just finished my chemistry course for Year 9 a month ago. I've gotta say, I didn't like it. :/ I'm glad we're doing astronomy now.

• Brohoof 2

I always found high school chemistry to be one of the easiest subjects. I've always said, if you can add, subtract, mutiply and divide, you can balance chemical equasions.

• Brohoof 1

(edited)

In general... Chemistry can be a weird mix of hard and easy, I think.  :wacko: I'm currently working my way into the harder classes, so I'm likely gonna finally hit the horribly complex portions, but thus far? It seems to largely be formulas and trends. But then, I know for a fact my teachers have been making it easy on us quite often.

As for experience... I'm currently in college, I just completed General Chemistry II, and I'm about to go into Organic Chemistry.

My major is gonna be Biochemistry, so my experience right now pales compared to where I'll be in a year or two.

EDIT: 

We recently got into Gibb's free energy which helps predict when reactions are spontaneous and when they aren't, as well as some basic electric/battery reactions, that uses stoichiometry and tables to figure out voltage and electron transfer and crud.

And a lot of acid/base reaction stuff.

Edited by SFyr
  • Brohoof 3

Not to offend you or anything, but...

_57c8a1a431a592af806925e57258202f.png

We all study chemistry especially in highschool/ past grade 6. It's one of the most interesting and fun subjects, after dissections.

• Brohoof 2

I've taken several chemistry courses before, and I have to say it's one of my favorites. I can tutor it pretty well for the most part :P.

• Brohoof 3

(edited)

I have a Bachelor's of Science in Chemistry and Biochemistry. I still have a lot to learn but I think I know a little bit.

We recently got into Gibb's free energy which helps predict when reactions are spontaneous and when they aren't, as well as some basic electric/battery reactions, that uses stoichiometry and tables to figure out voltage and electron transfer and crud. And a lot of acid/base reaction stuff.

For me that is the real beginning of Chemistry! Good luck, SFyr!

Edited by justabug
  • Brohoof 4

I remember taking chemistry my sophomore year in high school and it being so so difficult for me.

I just couldn't grasp any of the concepts.

• Brohoof 2

I took Chemistry in my junior year of High School but I will be really honest with you. I had a horrible teacher that year and he ended up getting fired right after that year. So our teacher was only at our school for one year & I was unfortunate enough to have him as a teacher. We did not learn much to be honest in that class >_>... the next year my other friends said they had a great Chemistry teacher though after the fact.

• Brohoof 2

@@justabug, glad to hear. I'm kinda enjoying that it's starting to ramp up a little, but it's encouraging to hear from someone further along than I that it's the start of something awesome!   :P

• Brohoof 1

@@SFyr, it isn't going to get any easier than this, but all the pieces will start falling into place! I was trying to think of a way to summarize Organic Chemistry, but really it is everything.

• Brohoof 3

(edited)

yes I went into the basics of Chemistry in 5th and 6th grade..... and a few other things.... then much later as an 11th grader I took Chemistry class... which didn't even feel like a science class.... it felt like Trigonometry.... I don't even know how I managed to pass Chemistry.... it was really damn hard....

Edited by Snowflake Frostflame

Yes, I'm in preparatory school, I have a lot of chemistry every week: both organic and inorganic.

Organic chemistry is so hard. :'(

491949url.jpg

• Brohoof 5

I learned chemistry for a year in 10th grade. I didn't get it. I did pretty poorly in the class, but I passed. I really don't care for chemistry at all. It just doesn't make any sense to me.

(edited)

@@justabug, I kinda got the impression it would be horribly complex, haha. Thanks anyways for thinking about a summative though. Over the summer, I'm trying to tackle at least some of an organic chemistry textbook I picked up for cheap.  :) My chem professor mentioned to focus on trends and structure-behavior patterns.

@@Blobulle, those look fun, haha...  :please:

Though, admittedly it is fairly interesting to look at all the little changed going on. Hm.

Edited by SFyr

• 1 year later...

Chemistry is just like any other subject and it's only a matter of time to master it. For non-professionals, learn little chemistry can be very helpful in learning  the mechanisms of a drug and can self prescribe some over-the-counter drugs for ailments. Here I'd like to recommend you a calculator for molecular weight calculations-Molecular Weight Calculator at the very first stages.

My dad is a college chemistry professor so I should have an inside track, but to be honest I have little grasp of the subject. I am interested in it to a degree, as I am with many subjects, but the problem is finding the time to apply myself to its learning. Necessity versus Resources (in my case, time) is always a losing battle I'm afraid. So, sorry dad, your daughter ain't exactly gonna be walkin' in your shoes! :please:

Personally I'm more into physics, but I am currently doing chemistry. H2SO4 anyone?