Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

spoiler Is Season 5 being full of "sequel episodes" intended?

Will Guide

Season 5 Intended to include "sequel episodes"  

7 users have voted

1. 1. Was Season 5 also meant to have "sequel episodes"?

• Yes, the "sequel episodes" were intentional
    • No, it is just coincidence

(edited)

We know that Cutie Mark Magic is the theme of this season. (getting your CM replaced with =, fears about your CM not being what you expect, misinterpreting what your CM means, etc.) But as of The Lost Treasure of Griffonstone, I've noticed another pattern: Almost all the episodes this season were a sequel episode in some way except the Premiere, The Cutie Map (or Cutie Markless, if you prefer). Watch:

• Castle Sweet Castle is the sequel to Twilight's Kingdom: Twilight losing her home and gaining a new one
  • Bloom and Gloom is to Sleepless in Ponyville and For Whom the Sweetie Belle Tolls: The 3rd and final episode of what I call the "Luna Aids the CMC Trilogy"
  • Tanks For the Memories is to May the Best Pet Win!: Rainbow Dash and Tank the Tortoise episode; Dash and Tank's interaction in Just for Sidekicks doesn't count; It's Spike's episode.
  • Appleoosa's Most Wanted is to Over a Barrel: Return to Appleoosa since Season 1; appearance of Appleoosa in Pinkie Pride Intro doesn't count.
  • Make New Friends, But Keep Discord is to Keep Calm and Flutter On!: Discord and Fluttershy episode; The Discord episodes in between were more about Twilight and Discord interacting, not Fluttershy
  • The Lost Treasure of Griffonstone is to Griffon the Brush Off: The return of Gilda since Season 1.

Do you think this pattern is just coincidence or did the show makers intended to do these "sequel episodes" for opportunities to bring back one-shot characters or locations?

Edited by WiiGuy2014
  • Brohoof 4

Wow, there's indeed a lot of coincidences... not sure it will continue though.

But they aren't really sequels, they just re-use elements from previous episodes to make new stories...

(edited)

I'm also noticing the pattern of how much the Cutie Mark Crusaders are appearing in this season. Including ones not focusing on them like Make New Friends But Keep Discord where the Cutie Mark Crusaders are side-characters for the episode. Possibly this new season will have a little bit of focus on the Crusaders?

And with Babs Seed getting her new cutie Mark

(Sequel to One Bad Apple much?)

in Bloom and Gloom, it could be a foreshadowing of the Crusaders getting their Cutie Marks sooner than we expect them to. Possibly this season.

Edited by GoldKingdomFright

The Luna-CMC episode was expected as it was always going to be a trilogy. Gilda returning was not that bad, I'm glad to see she and Dash are friends again and we saw a little backstory on Gilda too. The Discord and Fluttershy episode was more of a Discord episode and I guess he deserves one.

Following this trend, we might see Cadence and Shining Armour again with an episode centered on them.

• Brohoof 1

I'm also noticing the pattern of how much the Cutie Mark Crusaders are appearing in this season. Including ones not focusing on them like Make New Friends But Keep Discord where the Cutie Mark Crusaders are side-characters for the episode. Possibly this new season will have a little bit of focus on the Crusaders?

And with Babs Seed getting her new cutie Mark

(Sequel to One Bad Apple much?)

in Bloom and Gloom, it could be a foreshadowing of the Crusaders getting their Cutie Marks sooner than we expect them to. Possibly this season.

Yeah right. Even the CMC might get their marks this season or NOT. BUT maybe in the sixth season and the 2017 movie.

(edited)

Yeah right. Even the CMC might get their marks this season or NOT. BUT maybe in the sixth season and the 2017 movie.

I did say "possibly". :P

Sixth season is more likely and fifth season could be just foreshadowing only.

Then again since it's so big in the fandom, it's likely to be a side-plot in the 2017 movie. Whatever is the main plot in the movie anyways.

Edited by GoldKingdomFright
  • Brohoof 1

I think it's more of continuity than anything. I mean in almost every fandom (except the fandoms that do have continuity) a major complaint is the lack of it. I wouldn't say it's really a sequel. Every episode is in the same universe. The CMC and Luna episodes are together, though. Returning characters and/or settings doesn't imply sequel. Although "The Lost Treasure of Griffonstone" is a sequel. The other episodes: 

1 and 2: World building with something that happened in the Season 4 finale. Not a sequel. 

3. More of the castle, not a sequel. 

4. Part of the Luna Dream Series thing. More like a part 3 than a sequel. 

5. More on Rainbow and Tank, nothing to do with May the Best Pet Win except for Tank. That's continuity. 

6. Appleloosa and Braeburn, but not a sequel to Over a Barrel. Again, continuity. 

7. The Breezies are continuity, as is the Gala. No sequel.

8. Most likely to be a sequel to an episode an antagonist is introduced to reform them. (The same thing happened with Trixie.) 

Spoiler for episode 9: 

9. continuity, but not a sequel to A Friend in Deed. We know Cranky and Matilda were in love, so it just makes sense for them to be the ones to get married. Nothing to do with a sequel. (I don't think. The episode hasn't aired yet.)

I think the point is that now we're getting to see the Mane 6 put their knowledge of friendship into action. I like it because it's starting to feel more continuous (ala Adventure Time). However for some of the episodes, you really would have to have seen the preceding episode. I think before this season, most people could've jumped right into watching the show at any point, but now you have to have a little knowledge of what has happened earlier in the series.

Our timeline is being made more accurate!

(edited)

Those episodes are there either because they are a nessecity for a situation that was not answered yet (The house of Twilight being destroyed in Twilight's Kingdom being a good element to continue on with Castle Sweet Castle) or a reason to develop even more caracters (Discord and Gilda being good examples) or just being an episode that uses a place that was used in another episode as a base for this precise episode (Apploosa's Most Wanted is not really a sequel, it's more a base from Over A Barrel)

Edited by ObliveonVortex

Well I'm not sure if it was all planned from the beginning but sometimes concepts you come up with and work out then surprise you with possibilities you may not have considered when you first came up with the idea.

"The best foreshadowing is unintentional," my teacher says.

(edited)

I would not call these examples sequel episodes per say, but yes these episodes were intentional in expanding upon the established continuity. It is what is.

Edited by UnknownFry