Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Counselors vs. friends

Knight Hadron

Can a counselor ever be a friend? I believe so, yes. I have had plenty of counselor's in my life and I almost always enjoyed talking to them. Something always happened though, they would move or get a new position somewhere or something else. It was always something that would abruptly make it to where I had to switch people. I think I would become friends with whoever I would have as a counselor if I had the time. To me, that is always better, to be a friend rather than just a patient.

• Brohoof 1

To me, that is always better, to be a friend rather than just a patient.

And that is exactly what I do not like about the professional counselors: they sometimes treat you like a patient. Sometimes, love heals faster than a clinical diagnosis of something or another.

Friends, I think, are best at counseling, because of the vested interest they have in YOU, not in the money that you have to offer them.

• Brohoof 2

A counselor is helpful because there's the comfort of knowing they are trained to help you and help resolve your issues. But nothing beats the kind words of a close friend :)

• Brohoof 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 7 years later...
  • 4 months later...

They can be friends but they still have a professional aspect to their occupation that may take precedence over friendship in their view of things. While some can be genuinely helpful, others who think they’re working in someone’s best interest can occasionally be misguided. Ultimately they may be more focused on a professional approach to people than a friendly one, and that may not yield the same results.

It doesn’t matter because I don’t have neither. Nor do I trust anyone enough to meet that standard.