Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

movies/tv Does anybody else think Soul Eater is totally overrated?

Sazama Ichida

Honestly in my opinion this anime just feels like a cheap ripoff of Bleach...And a very cheap one too...The characters all just feel so quirky and annoying...Bleach had a much more well-written story to it as well as much more interesting and far better characters...Where do I even begin? Bleach has this anime beat in both quality and quantity if you ask me...

This anime is nothing but a complete rip-off of Bleach...The setting has just been given a new design to camouflage the rip-off...There's these humans, known as Weapon Meisters, who have living weapons with various abilities. They use these to fight evil human souls (or seeds of Kishin). Seriously, how is that different from the Soul Reapers vs. Hollows in Bleach? The only original thing about that is the goal they have is to make their weapons into a Death Scythe so that it can be used by the Grim Reaper himself...

And why do The Grim Reaper AKA Lord Death and the moon and the sun all look so crappy? Overall, the animation deserves a 5 out of ten because of it's mediocre quality, and there's just something about the overall feel of it that bugs me...

And as I said the characters are mediocre too. I mean, they're funny to watch at times but funny isn't enough to rate it high up. Most of the time they're just annoying instead of funny...And there's not many original characters there either...(Soul=badass attitude good guy, Maka=sorta voice of reason for Soul Eater, Tsubaki=shy girl who goes along with her hyper partner does, Maka's father=daughter-loving father who does everything to win her affection, but gets serious when needed)

My favorite character is probably Death the Kid cuz of his style and obsession with symmetry. That makes him funny at times. And because I can somewhat relate to him. (though not on such an obsessed level). There doesn't seem to be much character development either only Maka's desire to get stronger and Tsubaki's backstory was what I saw. But maybe that's only because I just watched up to the part where "The Prisoner" was first introduced.

And lastly, because I'm sure that I'm gonna get a ton of angry messages here and/or in my inbox from Soul Eater fans for making this topic, hey, I'm not judging you am I? I didn't insult any of you did I? I don't tell you what to like and what not to like do I? I'm just posting my 2 cents and stating my opinions on this matter is all.

It seems like the only animes that people talk about anymore nowadays are just this one, Attack on Titan, and Sword Art Online...

I really wish all the animes that I'm used to like Naruto and One Piece etc. would pick back up in popularity again...

(edited)

*Shrug*

I would have liked Bleach a lot more if they ended it after the whole Soul Society saving whats-her-name arc. Really enjoyed it, but eventually I just lost interest. I have that problem with One Piece too, and Naruto. 

And why do The Grim Reaper AKA Lord Death and the moon and the sun all look so crappy? Overall, the animation deserves a 5 out of ten because of it's mediocre quality, and there's just something about the overall feel of it that bugs me...

You call it crappy, but I call it stylish. I seriously adore the moon in Soul Eater. It makes me smile. Soul Eater has kind of a street art vibe to its art style, which I really dig. (Also, the Grim Reaper made himself look goofy on purpose so that he wouldn't scare the kids at his school.)

I like Soul Eater more than Bleach, but I don't think it's THAT much better. The art style is primarily what sets it apart for me.

It seems like the only animes that people talk about anymore nowadays are just this one, Attack on Titan, and Sword Art Online...

Heh, its funny you mention those. I don't watch a lot of anime these days and those two are the only recent ones I've scene.

Don't fret. Naruto was still pretty popular until it's end, and One Piece is crazy popular in Japan. I'f nobody is talking about them, its probably because they've been around for so long. AoT and SAO are the new and exciting things, relatively speaking. 

P.S

<3

Edited by Banul

• 1 month later...

Honestly in my opinion this anime just feels like a cheap ripoff of Bleach...And a very cheap one too..
As I found bleach severely dull I don't see the resemblance 
.The characters all just feel so quirky and annoying...
they are indeed quirky, its a comedy. Blackstar does get annoying though, i'll concede that. 
Bleach had a much more well-written story to it as well as much more interesting and far better characters...Where do I even begin? Bleach has this anime beat in both quality and quantity if you ask me...
could barely stomach the first few episodes, it was so effing slow and dull. I keep hearing "oh it gets better as you go" but goddamn first impressions are everything and if felt like it had the pacing of molasses

This anime is nothing but a complete rip-off of Bleach...

I'm getting the sense you really like bleach 
The setting has just been given a new design to camouflage the rip-off...There's these humans, known as Weapon and Meisters, who have living weapons with various abilities. They use these to fight evil human souls (or seeds of Kishin). Seriously, how is that different from the Soul Reapers vs. Hollows in Bleach? The only original thing about that is the goal they have is to make their weapons into a Death Scythe so that it can be used by the Grim Reaper himself...
again, haven't bothered with bleach because of afore mentioned dullness, and you may be right, it has a similar plot and everything. That does nothing to take away from the fact that the show was genuinely enjoyable and is worthy of its fan base. 

And why do The Grim Reaper AKA Lord Death and the moon and the sun all look so crappy?

Death chooses to look that way to not scare the children, you would know this if you made it through the series, but I have a feeling you had the same problem I had with bleach. The sun and the moon look awesome and creepy, one of my favorite aspects of the background. you not liking it is an opinion, like my opinion of bleach being a bloated dull fest of dullness. 
Overall, the animation deserves a 5 out of ten because of it's mediocre quality, and there's just something about the overall feel of it that bugs me...

Did you see bleach, that thing looked cheap as hell, but of course those were the first few episodes. I mean I don't want to bash your anime but your the one who brought it up. Also what are you talking about the animation was awesome, heck that first fight with Maka and jack the ripper was awe inspiring. 

And as I said the characters are mediocre too. I mean, they're funny to watch at times but funny isn't enough to rate it high up. Most of the time they're just annoying instead of funny...And there's not many original characters there either...(Soul=badass attitude good guy, Maka=sorta voice of reason for Soul Eater, Tsubaki=shy girl who goes along with her hyper partner does, Maka's father=daughter-loving father who does everything to win her affection, but gets serious when needed)

Character tropes are character tropes, and I barely remember anything about bleach to do the same for yours, because it was to dull for me to remember 

My favorite character is probably Death the Kid cuz of his style and obsession with symmetry. That makes him funny at times. And because I can somewhat relate to him. (though not on such an obsessed level). There doesn't seem to be much character development either only Maka's desire to get stronger and Tsubaki's backstory was what I saw. But maybe that's only because I just watched up to the part where "The Prisoner" was first introduced.

What about DTK growing suspicion of his fathers aims, blackstar coming to grips with loss, Crona's over arching plot in general (heck he's one of the most developed ones out of the bunch), sure there isn't a terrible amount of it but its there. 

And lastly, because I'm sure that I'm gonna get a ton of angry messages here and/or in my inbox from Soul Eater fans for making this topic, hey, I'm not judging you am I? I didn't insult any of you did I? I don't tell you what to like and what not to like do I? I'm just posting my 2 cents and stating my opinions on this matter is all.

flame shield activated? I'm not attacking ya, nor do I have any real problem with bleach beyond the fact that it did nothing to hold my interest. However when one gives their opinion the other is allowed to give theirs. 

If its any consolation I don't really get the hype for attack on titan and SAO either 

I really wish all the animes that I'm used to like Naruto and One Piece etc. would pick back up in popularity again...

Please no. Naruto and one piece fans are far to annoying to let them rev up again. I couldn't even watch those shows because people just kept going on and on about it and claiming they were "anime fans" when Naruto or one piece was the only thing they had seen. 

The concept of "over rated" is subjective. I think Bleach is over rated, you think soul eater is over rated. It's all a matter of opinion. 

If you ask me, Attack On Titan is more overrated then Soul Eater.

Attack on Titan is so fucking overrated... I don't even think Soul Eater is overrated... I haven't heard about it too much...

To answer OP, Soul Eater might be overrated... Haven't watched more than 2 or 3 episodes until I decided the characters are stupid, the drawing style sucks and it's just not my Anime.

I'd have to disagree with most points. First, I don't really feel like Soul Eater is overrated. I think it's at just about the right sweet spot. It's certainly died off since the anime has been finished for a while though.

As for copying Bleach, I mean they have a few similar things. But no, I don't really consider any of the points you've made as "ripoffs". Weapons are completely different in SE than in Bleach in my opinion.

I thought SE's animation was actually darn great. It was really terrific during fight scenes too.

The  characters in SE are debatable. Some I really like(Kid, the twins, Stein, Lord Death), others are ok(Soul, Tsubaki), and some I just can't stand(Black Star, Maka).

But as far as Soul Eater being terrible, I don't think so. I gave the show an 8. The ending was the only thing that was awful.