Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

gaming Any Video Game Series You've Never Played, but Always Wanted to?

Odyssey

There are many video game series I've always been meaning to go and try out myself. Some of these series include:

• The Legend of Zelda: One of Nintendo's biggest series. Although I've played many Nintendo games, I have never played a single Zelda game in my life. What I find most interesting about this series is the lore. It's interesting and unique, as well as how different it is to most Nintendo series like Super Mario or Kirby. I'm thinking of getting Wind Waker HD to start off with, but there are also many other choices to pick.
  • Final Fantasy: What I find interesting about this series is the stories. They seem interesting and feels more character-driven. But like Zelda, I have never played anything from the series, but because of that I almost know nothing about FF outside of the stories and the gameplay. I also have a hard time on where I should start with this series, as the only gaming console I've got that FF is playable on is the PS1.
  • Ōkami: Although not as popular as Zelda or FF, the art looks absolutely gorgeous and rich. It also seems to have a nice story, some great characters and a lot of research on Japanese mythology. Thankfully I can get this game as I have a Nintendo Wii, but I'm deciding whether I should get the first one or the HD version. xP

What about you guys? Are there any video game series you have never played, but you've always wanted to do so? Feel free to give out game recommendations with each other. :3

• Brohoof 2

(edited)

Let's see... Persona, Splinter Cell, Hitman, and pretty much any mainstream sports game to name a few.

EDIT: Wait, I didn't read the full topic title. I haven't played these games because I never wanted to play them.

Edited by x0jackie0x

EDIT: Wait, I didn't read the full topic title. I haven't played these games because I never wanted to play them.

Oh, nonono, that is not what I meant. I'm trying to say that I want to play these games myself, not telling anybody else to play those games. Perhaps if I've changed the title in the first place, it would make more sense.

Sorry for the confusion. I honestly am an idiot when it comes to English and constructing sentences. >_<

Oh, nonono, that is not what I meant. I'm trying to say that I want to play these games myself, not telling anybody else to play those games. Perhaps if I've changed the title in the first place, it would make more sense.

Sorry for the confusion. I honestly am an idiot when it comes to English and constructing sentences. >_<

What? No, hun, it's not that. My browser didn't show the full topic name, so I only saw 'Video game series you've never played'. I didn't realize until after I posted that it also said 'but always wanted to'.

You're good.

• Brohoof 1

@@Odyssey, holy moley, I'm just the opposite.  I've been a Zelda and FF maniac since I was but a wee lad.  I just finished playing FFXIII: Lightning Returns.  It is tough, though, getting into a series when you've never played one.  Fans will rave that FFVII is the greatest thing ever made, but I can see how, to a newcomer that's never played one, you might feel...not very motivated to play something so dated and....well, chunky.  I mean, it's a masterpiece, no doubt, but it is chunky and a bit clunky, and, well, yeah, I could see feeling a little meh about it if you played it for the first time today.  A lot of the experience of things is about experiencing it in it's day, when it was revolutionary.  That doesn't mean that going back to retro stuff isn't great, I'm just saying that for many, they might not feel as motivated.  And there's also the nostalgia factor.

Take Baldur's Gate for instance.  One of the greatest, if not the greatest western rpg of all time, but I never got around to playing them.  Until now, that is.  I started the first one last fall.  I would say that it is definitely a masterpiece, but....well, it's like I said--I'm having trouble really getting into it.  I love retro stuff, but the UI and controls really feel clunky and a bit frustrating to me.  I'm sure they really improved it in 2, but I don't want to jump straight to that.  I'll get to eventually, but I'm just not feeling excited and addicted.  If I'd played it back in it's day, I'd be head over heels, I'm sure.

As for other games I've never played but wanted to, here's my list:

• Half Life:  I know, I know.  I should be executed for treason for never playing these.  I plan on buying the mega everything Half Life ever made bundle on Steam sometime when it's on super sale.  The problem is just time.  Never enough of it.
  • Uncharted: I own the first one.  Never touched it.  Want to play all of them.  Eventually.
  • Fable:  These always seemed very intriguing.
  • Metal Gear Solid:  A favorite series of one of my best friends, and my taste in games aligns closely with his.  I'm sure I'd love them.
  • Red Dead Redemption:  This one I own, and I actually have a schedule for it, so this is going to happen.
  • New Tomb Raider:  Not interested in anything prior to the fancy new PS3 one, but I really want to play the new one.
  • The Last of Us:  Yeah.  Not much to say.  Looks amazing.
  • The Witcher:  Particularly this new third one.
  • Planescape Torment:  So much retro appeal, but I need to finish the Baldurs first.

That's all the big ones I can think of for now.  My problem is that I'm very much a completionist.  I can't leave a game until I'm satisfied that I've done every single thing that's possible to do.  So that means that I take a long time, and don't get to as many games.  I play tons of games, but not as much of a variety as some other gamers.

• Brohoof 1

(edited)

Same thing for The Legend of Zedla and Final Fantasy. Ironically, I'm a fan of a video game franchise called Kingdom Hearts which includes Final Fantasy characters but I didn't even know about FF until KH when I was 10 and now I want to find out some more about Final Fantasy. I was interested in The Legend of Zedla and all my friends are big fans of it but I hardly know much about the game but I do a little bit of it's lore.

Also, because of all this "HALF LIFE 3 CONFIRMED!" stuff, I'm all of a sudden interested in Half Life and why everyone is so obessive over a third game coming out.

I've also always been interested in the Portal game franchise. Especially because of a Youtuber called Top10Memes and his "Top 10 facts - Portal" and the whole "THE CAKE IS A LIE!" meme.

Edited by GoldKingdomFright

I haven't played, but always wanted to play the following:

Half-Life series, Red Dead Redemption, Super Mario Sunshine (I CAN'T BELIEVE I THOUGHT IT WAS A SPORTS GAME!), Most every Sonic game (I played a couple of those, ONLY a couple...), newer Metroid games... Probably plenty more.

Final Fantasy: What I find interesting about this series is the stories. They seem interesting and feels more character-driven. But like Zelda, I have never played anything from the series, but because of that I almost know nothing about FF outside of the stories and the gameplay. I also have a hard time on where I should start with this series, as the only gaming console I've got that FF is playable on is the PS1.

Personally I'd say the FF series is better for it's gameplay than story in most cases. Every entry has vastly different gameplay and mechanics than the last. They inherit a few things from the previous games to keep the game solid but that's about it.

What systems do you have? There aren't a whole lot of gaming systems that don't have at least a few FF games on them.

I have always wanted to play the Crusader Kings series and the Fallout series (although I do have Fallout: New Vegas)

For a while now I've wanted to get into the "Shock" series, namely System Shock and BioShock. But for various reason I've never gotten around to doing so, such as not being wiling to mod my computer just so I can run the earlier System Shock games. 

For a while now I have been interested in playing Earthbound since I hear it is a really fun and interesting RPG.  Too bad I don't have a Wii U though so I can't play it or in the original system it came from.

The same goes for Mother 3 which also sounds pretty interesting and something that I would want to play...  Too bad it was only ever released in Japan!

(And no I don't like using emulators, they just don't feel right to me.)

• Brohoof 2

Personally I'd say the FF series is better for it's gameplay than story in most cases. Every entry has vastly different gameplay and mechanics than the last. They inherit a few things from the previous games to keep the game solid but that's about it.

What systems do you have? There aren't a whole lot of gaming systems that don't have at least a few FF games on them.

Sounds interesting. I'm all for change and trying out new things, so all of these different mechanics and whatnot seem to be something I'd have tonnes of fun with.

I have the PS1, the PS2 and any console by Nintendo, aside from the NES and SNES. I also have a Steam account that I use for only one or two games, but I believe that there is a certain FF game on there last time I checked.

So based on what I have, I suppose have a few games to choose from. I prefer starting out with a game from the series that is easy to get into the gameplay, but ultimately I don't mind either way.

I've always kind of wanted to try Hitman, Splinter Cell, and Onimusha, but never got around to it(in the latter's case though, it's because of the lack of any rereleases :/)

But I've always REALLY wanted to try Silent Hill after seeing my brother play it, and I actually have it on PSN...but I've always been afraid to :P

• Brohoof 1

Sounds interesting. I'm all for change and trying out new things, so all of these different mechanics and whatnot seem to be something I'd have tonnes of fun with.

I have the PS1, the PS2 and any console by Nintendo, aside from the NES and SNES. I also have a Steam account that I use for only one or two games, but I believe that there is a certain FF game on there last time I checked.

So based on what I have, I suppose have a few games to choose from. I prefer starting out with a game from the series that is easy to get into the gameplay, but ultimately I don't mind either way.

You basically have access to the whole main series, then.

-Final Fantasy I and II are available on PS1 as well as GBA

-FFIII and IV are available on Steam if I'm not mistaken (as well as FFIV's bonus content The After Years) and also DS

-Almost certain FFV is on PS1 as well in some way and I know for sure FFVI is, both also on GBA

-FFVII through FFIX are native to the PS1, FFVII and FFVIII are both on Steam as well

-FFX and its sequel X-2 are on PS2

-FFXI is an MMO and I'm not sure it's even still going but it's PS2 as well, maybe PC

-FFXII is PS2

-FFXIII and both of its sequels are on Steam

-FFXIV is a PC game, though not on Steam, but also an MMO like XI

And that's not even counting the side games!

-Final Fantasy Tactics is on PS1

-Final Fantasy Tactics Advance and Advance A2 are on the DS

-Final Fantasy Crystal Chronicles is on Gamecube, all three of its sequels are on Wii and two on the DS*

-Final Fantasy VII: Dirge of Cerberus is PS2

-Final Fantasy XII: Revenant Wings is on DS

You have a good portion of the series at your disposal, and that's not even all of it. As for which one to start with, any of the PS1-native ones is probably a good place. FFVII, FFVIII, FFIX or FF Tactics. These are the easiest ones to get into and beat out of the series, neither too oldschool or too quirky.

For the most part none of the games are connected by story or even in the same world unless they share the same number or subtitle (FFX and X-2 are directly related, Crystal Chronicles and the sequels take place in the same world in different time periods, etc.) so you won't be missing anything by skipping around a bit.

Remember one thing: If you don't like one game in the series, or even two or three, don't give up on it. Every game is different enough (after the first three or four, anyway) that you could effectively cherry pick from the entire franchise. The spinoffs are very different from even the main series as well so be prepared for vast differences between them. The sequels usually change things up a lot to, some more than others. For example, Dirge of Cerberus is half shooter, half RPG. A lot of people didn't like it because it wasn't exactly the same type of game as FFVII but I personally consider it one of my favorites. If you play it don't let the fact that it's very different from FFVII bother you.

Go, young padawan, and experience one of the more creative RPG franchises available!

*Final Fantasy Crystal Chronicles: Ring of Fate and FFCC: Echo of Time are on DS as well as Wii. FFCC: The Crystal Bearers is Wii exclusive.

• Brohoof 1

• GTA: I'm totally interested in playing some games in the series, but I have not been able to play for some reasons (Too much lag, setup errors)
  • half-life: It looks like a game I could play and it is made by Valve creator of the Portal series, a serie that I really like.

I think these are the only series that I never really played before that I would like to play.

I've always kind of wanted to try Hitman, Splinter Cell, and Onimusha, but never got around to it(in the latter's case though, it's because of the lack of any rereleases :/)

But I've always REALLY wanted to try Silent Hill after seeing my brother play it, and I actually have it on PSN...but I've always been afraid to :P

Rule number one of Silent Hill: Shoot things in the face. A lot. I know in survival games they tell you not to use ammo but this is one where it's far safer and can probably help with the fear factor. There's ammo pickups everywhere and you can only hold so much anyway so why waste all that available ammo? At least in the first one. The later games might be different but I've not played any of them except Downpour and Shattered Memories.

• Brohoof 1