Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

gaming Any Video Game Series You've Never Played, but Always Wanted to?

Odyssey

I'm sure I wanted to play Okami, and Panzer Dragoon.

For a while now I have been interested in playing Earthbound since I hear it is a really fun and interesting RPG.  Too bad I don't have a Wii U though so I can't play it or in the original system it came from.

The same goes for Mother 3 which also sounds pretty interesting and something that I would want to play...  Too bad it was only ever released in Japan!

(And no I don't like using emulators, they just don't feel right to me.)

There exists flash carts for Snes and GBA so you can play Earthbound or Mother 3 on the real hardware, it's more authentic. There's a translated Mother 3 rom as well. You can get a Snes flash cart for less than a copy of Earthbound, in addition to playing a bunch of other games. If not you can just watch let's plays online but it's not the same as playing them.

Hitman, Halo  and Pokémon (Yes I never played the Pokémon games).

Most of those games are the games my friends always used to play, I never really got what they talked about :P Exept for some Pokémon stuff since I watched the anime and collected the cards.

(edited)

- Metal Gear Solid series

- TC: Splinter Cell series

- Grand Theft Auto series

- Bioshock series

- Uncharted series

- The Last of Us (why haven't I played it yet!?)

- Pokemon (main series, I have played some of the spin-offs before)

Those are the game(s)/ series I have never played yet and I want to play them.

Edited by Jonny Music

I'd like to try out the Xenoblade series at some point; I'd probably be terrible at it, but it feels like it'd be worthwhile getting into it, from what I've heard (including the music  :wub:).

I'd like to try out the Xenoblade series at some point; I'd probably be terrible at it, but it feels like it'd be worthwhile getting into, from what I've heard (including the music  :wub:).

HE MEANT XENO GUYS

Trying to think of more... TLOU and Uncharted.

-Fallout: I did play Fallout 3 but only for a very short while and I feel like I did not give the game a real chance. I have heard so many great things about this series and I think I need to give 3 another go, especially with the high likelihood of Fallout 4 being announced soon. Plus I loved Oblivion and Skyrim.

-Train Simulator: Oh yeah. Being someone who loves the idea of trains and loves the concept of good simulators, this one seems like the best one on the market and I would absolutely love to play it. Sadly I probably never will.

-Final Fantasy Tactics: I love the Disgea series and this series inspired Disgea's gameplay so..seems like something I would really like but never tried.

-Super Mario Sunshine: One of the only main entry Mario titles that I have barely played and I have heard plenty of wonderful things about it. I need to pick it up sometime.

-Zoo Tycoon: I love Rollercoaster Tycoon and yet I have never played any of the Zoo Tycoon games on PC, though I have played the DS version, which really isn't the same from what I've seen.

You basically have access to the whole main series, then.

-Final Fantasy I and II are available on PS1 as well as GBA

-FFIII and IV are available on Steam if I'm not mistaken (as well as FFIV's bonus content The After Years) and also DS

-Almost certain FFV is on PS1 as well in some way and I know for sure FFVI is, both also on GBA

-FFVII through FFIX are native to the PS1, FFVII and FFVIII are both on Steam as well

-FFX and its sequel X-2 are on PS2

-FFXI is an MMO and I'm not sure it's even still going but it's PS2 as well, maybe PC

-FFXII is PS2

-FFXIII and both of its sequels are on Steam

-FFXIV is a PC game, though not on Steam, but also an MMO like XI

And that's not even counting the side games!

-Final Fantasy Tactics is on PS1

-Final Fantasy Tactics Advance and Advance A2 are on the DS

-Final Fantasy Crystal Chronicles is on Gamecube, all three of its sequels are on Wii and two on the DS*

-Final Fantasy VII: Dirge of Cerberus is PS2

-Final Fantasy XII: Revenant Wings is on DS

You have a good portion of the series at your disposal, and that's not even all of it. As for which one to start with, any of the PS1-native ones is probably a good place. FFVII, FFVIII, FFIX or FF Tactics. These are the easiest ones to get into and beat out of the series, neither too oldschool or too quirky.

For the most part none of the games are connected by story or even in the same world unless they share the same number or subtitle (FFX and X-2 are directly related, Crystal Chronicles and the sequels take place in the same world in different time periods, etc.) so you won't be missing anything by skipping around a bit.

Remember one thing: If you don't like one game in the series, or even two or three, don't give up on it. Every game is different enough (after the first three or four, anyway) that you could effectively cherry pick from the entire franchise. The spinoffs are very different from even the main series as well so be prepared for vast differences between them. The sequels usually change things up a lot to, some more than others. For example, Dirge of Cerberus is half shooter, half RPG. A lot of people didn't like it because it wasn't exactly the same type of game as FFVII but I personally consider it one of my favorites. If you play it don't let the fact that it's very different from FFVII bother you.

Go, young padawan, and experience one of the more creative RPG franchises available!

*Final Fantasy Crystal Chronicles: Ring of Fate and FFCC: Echo of Time are on DS as well as Wii. FFCC: The Crystal Bearers is Wii exclusive.

Oh, I'd never thought that I would've had access to the entire series. xD

But thank you very much for your help! I'll keep your little tips in mind, especially the game differences. Based on your thoughts and choices, I'll probably start out with FFVII. From what I've checked out in some information, it's certainly an easy and simple way to start off the series like you said. Plus it's one of the PS1 games I've been meaning to get for a while.

I'd probably like the series overall if I do get the chance to start playing it, though. I'm all for brand new things in each new release of a series. :3

• Brohoof 1

• Silent Hill
  • Any stealth genre series (Metal Gear, Splinter Cell, Thief, Hitman)
  • Ninja Gaiden
  • Deus Ex

That's all I can think of for now.

The Witcher. With The Witcher 3 having come out and it absolutely BLEW UP, I'm curious.

I was supposed to get The Witcher 3 for FREE with my Graphics Card as a part of a promotion... but my country's ineligible for that promotion. I'll make them PAY... *evil grin*

To be honest, I've never played Left 4 Dead. I might try it because I got it recently.

(edited)

I'd like to play more of the Pokemon series. From what I've played I think it's a good series but I'm not a huge fan of it. I think I just need to play more of it to become a bigger fan.

Edited by The Crazy Luna Fan
  • Brohoof 1

• 2 weeks later...

The Sly Cooper games series on the PS2. I played the entire Jak & Daxter series at the time but missed out on Sly Cooper. Jak & Daxter, Ratchet & Clank, & Sly Cooper I really wished they would have made an animated series based on one of these game series. I have always thought it would have been a great idea honestly. Jak & Daxter to this day remains to be one of my favorite storylines in any game and I wish Naughty Dog would return back to it someday. 

But Sly Cooper I need to do myself a huge favor and play this series soon.