Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Why is the Pony Creator looked down upon? (Examples please?)

J.R.

I've been hearing a LOT of talk recently about how bad the Pony Creator (by General Zoi) is.

Would you guys care to explain to me exactly why it's looked down upon so much and maybe show me? Because I literally have no clue. ^_^

• Brohoof 1

It's frowned upon because it's seen as lazy and all the designs look similar.

sig-3788820.sig-3788812.FANMADE_Worst_ML

This is why people hate it.

My God...

Kill it with fire! XD

• Brohoof 6

It's frowned upon because it's seen as lazy and all rhe designs look similar.

Pretty much this.

Not to mention 90% of the OCs that come out of it look like crap.

• Brohoof 3

The biggest reason people look down upon it, that I've seen, is because it gives everyone the ability to make high quality ponies, rather than just those artists who have taught themselves how to draw. (Which is complete Bull)

More recently, I've seen lots of hate for it because it was taken down, so now people can't use it. (Which is a dumb reason to hate something.)

Personally, I love it! If it were still up, I'd still be using it, and I can draw ponies.

• Brohoof 5

Characters made in Pony Creator are always seen from a profile view, which looks bland in my opinion.

I think it's a good tool for getting a general idea of an OC, but you really should have an artist draw it for you when you're done.

The biggest reason people look down upon it, that I've seen, is because it gives everyone the ability to make high quality ponies, rather than just those artists who have taught themselves how to draw. (Which is complete Bull)

More recently, I've seen lots of hate for it because it was taken down, so now people can't use it. (Which is a dumb reason to hate something.)

Personally, I love it! If it were still up, I'd still be using it, and I can draw ponies.

Ponycreator was taken down? Isn't it available here?

• Brohoof 2

I've seen a lot of awesome OC's come from it though. When people take time to learn how to use it, they can make some seriously cool Ponies.

Yeah, don't get me wrong. There are some good looking OCs that come from it... in fact, it's not hard to make a good OC. You just have to know basic color combinations, something the majority of bronies seem to be lacking for whatever reason.

• Brohoof 2

I really have no idea. Sure, a number of creations that people make from it are abominable, but I just don't think that it should be hated for that. It seems like a large number of people hate it because "learn to draw for yourself", which is a mindset I hate. I am not good at drawing. I have tried my hardest, but anytime I try to draw, it just makes me feel even more like dirt, because I can not get anywhere near drawing what I want no matter how hard I try.

Pony Creator is the only way I was ever going to get make what I wanted, so that's what I did.

• Brohoof 7

(edited)

Yes people can use it to make OC's that look like crap like the example above but that seems like more of a reason to not like the people who make them rather than the program itself. The reasons that people who can't draw can now make OC's is also a stupid reason and rather short sighted as it is not like OC's designed this way are going to replace drawn OC's anytime soon. And there are artists that can actually use this as well, the ability to experiment with something that would normally take hours to do with any other method could be a very useful tool to flesh out designs that could be used to design characters via other means later.

Edited by Darth Bane
  • Brohoof 5

Yes, that version is still up. Pony Creator V3 was taken down, which had several new features and was overall easier to use.

And why exactly was the newest and easiest version of Pony Creator taken down?  Because of pirating, people taking credit for it, and ah yes, because, once again, some people just love to whine and complain about things they don't like but aren't affecting them in the slightest smh.

Why can't these people understand that some of us aren't very good at drawing and that we would rather just use a simple program to make our OCs?

I'm one of those people that isn't proficient at drawing and I would rather use the Pony Creator.

• Brohoof 5

The negativity is really unwarranted, in my opinion. Many fans started off making their OC with that, including me, but some users don't tend to build farther than that. That's really besides the point. All the reasons I've heard is that they look stale, bad, or unimaginative and most think that if someone has one, then they aren't 'on the same level', which is ridiculous. Many who don't like it tell others to get real art of the OC. Not everyone wants to and frankly, the creator is great for those who don't know exactly what they want, armed only with an idea. 

It boils down to 'don't judge a book by its cover'. The person will tell you how much effort they put into their work; a snapshot of said work will not.

• Brohoof 3

And why exactly was the newest and easiest version of Pony Creator taken down?  Ah yes, because, once again, some people just love to whine and complain about things they don't like but aren't affecting them in the slightest smh.

I don't follow.

It was taken down because too many people pirated it and took credit for it.

• Brohoof 2

I don't follow.

Ah, but still, people shouldn't complain about things that don't affect them (it's a waste of time and energy).

Do the ponies that people create on the Pony Creator affect me?  No, so I don't complain about them.

• Brohoof 1

I can never actually answer why something is liked or hated, it's when I read threads like this, do I realise there is a following. I drew my OC on the pony creator, because I did know what my OC would look like, the creator gave me many ideas, also I just don't have the time to draw ponies all day, I draw many things more important to me, like furries and flags, when I have the time, I have a career, which preoccupies my time, moreover, I am also aware many bronies are not artistically gifted, some of us are more skilled at writing than drawing, and I am one of those, as much as I would like to draw more art, I am a better writer, so for anyone who wants an OC, but does not know how to draw, or have the money to pay an artist to draw for them, the pony creator is the place to start, besides artists can just as tacky as the pony creator, so the hate generated at the pony creator is unnecessary, yet it shall not prevent new bronies from making their first characters on it.  

• Brohoof 2

I don't follow.

I also just edited the post to include your information.  Thank you for informing me  :)

• Brohoof 1

The reasons I have heard, the most common ones at least, are that people have the potential to make something that is thrown together horribly and that the characters made in it are not up to the quality of the show. 

Honestly, I have always seen the hatred towards the PC to be rather harsh, incredibly so. The first reason that I mentioned, well, it is not exactly fair. I could go into Photoshop right now and use the pen tool to make something atrocious, doesn't mean that tool or program is bad. 

Secondly, of course the characters made in this program will not look as good as the show characters, mainly because it was made by one person for free use by everyone, whereas the show is created by a team of people that are paid to do so. 

To me, the pony creator is a nice and simple way for someone to get a ponysona or OC made with little hassle. Not everyone is an artist, not everyone wants to go through the hassle of making requests for others to do it and so on, some people just want to make a new character and that program does that and for what it is, it does it well. Again, for being completely free to use and being made by one person. I feel like the hatred to it goes too far a lot of the time.

This is of course just my opinion on it though, it is something I have always wanted to comment on.

• Brohoof 6

(edited)

Well not everyone has expensive programs like Photoshop or have equipment like digital pens. Besides the ponies in My Little Pony all look the same anyway just a few hair designs and color are different so the pony creator should be fair play. How the pony creator gets it's bad stigma is when people add way too many accessories, and really make their pony look gaudy with too many patterns that don't fit in the world of Equestria.

And of course the color choices are usually terrible and like I said too many accessories... especially the goth kind.

Edited by cidershield
  • Brohoof 3

I'm not so fan of the simple designs themselves, but it really helps to quickly visualise your own OC. As some say, not all of us are gifted at drawing, so pony creator it's the best tool to at least give the basic description of your OC, and for those who are really gifted, it's useful to experiment with colors and later carry it over a real drawing. That amount of hate is undeserved 

It gets a bad name because you see a lot of people using it to make crummy OCs.  But I think it's just a tool and doesn't deserve the scorn.  

On a side note, has anyone ever clicked the random button and gotten a normal looking pony?

The way I see it there are two sides:  The ones that hate it for unfounded reasons, and those that hate the creator for founded reasons.

The unfounded side complains the creator is terrible because people get to make recolors of the same bodies.  Blah blah blah.. the same with a movie, or a book, or a discussion.. If you don't like it, or the results of it, don't continue to partake.

However, the group with a founded reason to hate it can be summed up with a sample discussion below:

Critic: "New OC, I see."

OC: "Yup.  He's blue and green and I love him."

Critic: "So, who is he?"

OC: "Huh? Oh.. name. . . Ummm... It's a secret?"

Critic: *sigh* "Okay then, do you at least have a backstory or personality for this new character, or is your super new character just a part and color combination?"

OC: "Uhh..  sure, there's a backstory...  I just don't remember it right now."

Critic: "You're full of ****, aren't you?"

OC: *nerdrage start*

In a nutshell, if you can't answer the five W's and one H when talking about your oc, then it's not a character - it's just you wanting attention, and is a waste of everyone's time being shoved in people's faces.  This is where the Creator is hated.  Every acts too entitled because they can pick two colors and thus 'ORIGINAL CHARACTER DO NOT STEAL'.

It's the same thing for people that fancy themselves as background characters like Lyra or Bon Bon that have no established personality.  The person is claiming the character as their oc just so they can get the attention for having 'their oc' in the show.