Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Has MLP Ruined Mindless Action Movies for Anyone Else?

TopQuark

Yes, definitely.  I still like the Hellboy movies and Gojira in all his iterations, but the other night I watched "The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo", a movie I've been meaning to get around to for quite some time.  It sort of made me sick.  It was well cast and acted, had great production values and a decent story.  I liked the female lead quite a bit - good character.  But yeesh.  The rape scenes and some of the other stuff...  After it was over I needed to cleanse my brain with a couple of episodes of ponies.  

If that makes me a pansy, then OK.

post-30984-0-87216200-1432836648_thumb.jpg

• Brohoof 1

Not for me. I still love my action movies (although I can't stand Michael Bay). Most recent one was Mad Mad, which was AWESOME. I don't see them as mutually exclusive, I guess.

• Brohoof 1

I first watched (and got addicted to) MLP in early 2012, and it hasn't ruined action films for me. I've never been keen on over-the-top violence though (SAW and Texas Chainsaw type stuff have never really interested me).

Haven't seen Mad Mad yet lol must be a Mad Max spinoff

• 7 months later...

Adult books are more out there than movies. Lightbringer Series, Night Angel Trilogy, Mistborn, Nekropolis, etc.

I read the book then I listen to it by Graphic Audio.

Nah. I was never really a fan of them. It hasn't affected my opinions on violent movies. I could never stand to watch horror/gore until Walking Dead hit the screens (I actually only started watching because I used to have mild interest in the graphic novel).

But movies like The Expendables, I just never cared for them (as shown by my inability to come up with more examples).

I only actively enjoy action-based movies when the story is INTENSE. Or based on a book I like. Seriously, where is a Chaos Walking movie?! I would fanboy like crazy if Hollywood cooked up a Chaos Walking trilogy. :D

While I've never been much of a fan of mindless entertainment in general, watching My Little Pony hasn't really had much of an influence over what I watch now anyway. It's shaped my outlook on life to a degree, but I still like the same movies I liked before I watched the show.

I've always enjoyed mindless violence in movies because they run on Rule of Cool and nothing else. Deaths in movies like that aren't human deaths, they're are meaningless as killing enemies in video games.

If anything, MLP 'ruined' a great deal of shounen anime for me. In those kinds of anime, the power of friendship is usually rated very highly, but despite this in the end the villain still has his ass kicked with good old violence. In MLP, they freaking weaponized friendship itself. There's no way any shounen could do that better, all their speeches be damned.

• 4 years later...

Never liked mindless action movies like Die Hard... But if you ask me about clever and stylish ones like Lock Stock and Two Smoking Barrels or Clockwork Orange, then no mlp didn't ruin them for me. In fact often I need some fresh air because I bet bored of show's childishness

On 5/26/2015 at 3:46 AM, TopQuark said:

A few weeks after I had first started to watch the show, I found myself to be less and less enthralled by mindless action scenes in movies. After a few months (now) I cringe slightly every time someone is killed. Now don't get me wrong, I still admire a well choreographed fight sequence, but I can no longer find any enjoyment in movies like 'The Expendables', in which the violence is the bulk of the movie.

So I would like to know if any of you have had similar experiences, or if I just turned into (even more of) a pansy.

Are you sure MLP made this change? Is it because MLP actually doesn't do mindless things? Sooner or later, MLP will start messing up, and you will get episodes that might feel like mindless action to some of us (Twilight vs Tirek fight was just a fancy visual effect, and really not part of what the writer wrote, could be considered "mindless action")

My view of what makes a work worthwhile has definitely changed over the last years, but I credit a lot of that to becoming an avid TVTropes reader. What MLP did was show me that even something that's downright saccharine sweet (well, on the surface) can be not just good, but great, and consequently made me reevaluate a lot of what I enjoy. Both of these things combined came to a head just recently, when I started playing Spec Ops: The Line. Not only does this game challenge the entire notion of "mindless action" in its narrative, but it makes you feel bad for enjoying it.

Still, it's only one part of many that factors into my judgements of works. So, for example, Avatar: The Last Airbender (still my all-time favorite cartoon to this day) and Into the Spider-Verse, both of which have a lot of action? Big thumbs up. Dragon Ball Z? ...No. Just no.

Yes. It's how I think of magic. I used to think magic was creepy, but now its way more better, my own understanding.

Edited by swu24
Gotta work on my grammar.

Never really been a fan of movies like that. I can watch them and maybe enjoy the experience but 90% of the time I won’t rewatch or the movie won’t leave an impact on me.

I would hope that watching MLP would make me more sensitive to the effects of hurtful language, like "pansy". 

It's also good to watch from a characterization standpoint. MLP demonstrates the value of characters who learn and grow and rarely do stupid out-of-character things. 

On 12/31/2015 at 5:47 PM, PinkieAwesome said:

I have never liked action movies so i cant say about action movies

But i was always a disney movie person..and horror

• 1 year later...