Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

What things do you despise in EG

InsertUsernameHere

I watched EQ for like the 7th time and everytime I found more things I disliked. A few: 1) High School cliche story that everyone knows isn't true 2) Flash Sentry 3) The "anorexia is magic" feel. 4) APPLEJACK IS THE ONLY HUMAN-LOOKING THING OUT OF THEM ALL 

How do you guys feel?

• Brohoof 1

I watched EQ for like the 7th time and everytime I found more things I disliked. A few: 1) High School cliche story that everyone knows isn't true 2) Flash Sentry 3) The "anorexia is magic" feel. 4) APPLEJACK IS THE ONLY HUMAN-LOOKING THING OUT OF THEM ALL 

How do you guys feel?

The school cliche can be found in nearly any time of media, what is The "anorexia is magic" feel? Nearly everyone hates Flash Sentry and Applejack is well Applejack (not much i can say about AJ)

I tried to find something i hate, but i guess im just not that picky when it comes to entertainment, i didnt mind the cliche, im okay with flash sentry, Sunset Shimmer makes both movies like....20% cooler.

Mabye something i dont like is how understanding the humans are with magic, but thats really all

I hate the fact that it is set in a high school. The usual boring high school, with the usual stereotyped characters etc. But it is, all this was done only to attract teenagers to the product. And that's a shame, because the plot itself is not bad.

The music is pretty awful to be honest. I found only maybe two out of both that I actually sort of liked- Trixie's song (because of its unique style) and "Awesome as I Want to Be" because it is just SO BAD and absolutely describes Rainbow in every aspect.

All the others were just generic "inspirational" pop songs for little girls, if you ask me.

(edited)

Although the uniformity of the character designs in MLP works to their benefit in that there are so many different customizable parts (such as mane, tail, and accessories), the uniformity of the character designs in EqG is indicative of stagnation, with everyone having the same body model which is thin as a twig and probably 65% legs, and everyone having very similar clothing styles as well.

The character design is just one example of how the EqG franchise is the product of corporate mandates. Even though Rainbow Rocks turned out to be a good film, many of us were almost turned off to it beforehand because of the absurdity of the concept of the entire Mane 6 being made to form a band. Overall, the decisions made in this franchise seem to promote conformity. That is the very thing the Season 5 premiere so thoroughly debunked, and the entire world of Equestria is pretty much against with such conceptions of individuality as cutie marks and the idea of friendship and harmony coming from the cooperation of diverse personalities.

The concept of setting a character from a world so tolerant of individuality and encouraging of personal achievements into a more realistic world with the reality of high school came up with plenty of chance to criticize adolescence as a social construct and the way our institutions breed conformity and separation. However, the first movie instead went to a cliche storyline of standing down a bully with the only difference being background elements of FiM being thrown in there, with a completely rushed and morally ambiguous resolution. The second movie similarly didn't do such a thing.

Overall, the concept of Equestria Girls is more fitting of a TV series, or a series of specials, than feature films, but even those would be a diversion of resources from the main series, said series itself being the main reason why we got into this franchise in the first place. If the EqG franchise had more of the same risk-taking story style of FiM rather than conforming to the stock of high school plots, I would speak more favorably of it, but the fact of the matter is it's "just another one" as far as high school media goes. I'm not expecting Daria here, but from the franchise that came out with FiM, I expect better than just following the leader.

Edited by Wind Chaser
  • Brohoof 2

I still hate everything from both EG, well except for this....

maxresdefault.jpg

THE SHIP IS CANON!!!!!!!

• Brohoof 2

(edited)

All the others were just generic "inspirational" pop songs for little girls, if you ask me.

Oh yeah, "Battle of The Bands" really was inspirational. Also, did you see the movie or just listen to the soundtrack?

Yeah, and the reason High School is cliche is because it works so well. the fact that magic has an almost supernatural element is what sets it apart from other high schools though.

Edited by Ickery

The school cliche can be found in nearly any time of media, what is The "anorexia is magic" feel? Nearly everyone hates Flash Sentry and Applejack is well Applejack (not much i can say about AJ)

Its just like the most powerful being in Equestria is turned into a principal in another dimension, And look at them, none of them seem like they have any muscle tone whatsoever, And all of them look like they have a skin disease. Sure in Equestria their fur coats give them color, But not on earth. The skin thing I don't really care about though, After all it is just a cartoon. 

• Brohoof 1

I can't hate Equestria Girls, it's the reason i got into the fandom, but everything has flaws regardless.

Yeah I cant hate EG either, We are in the minority of bronies who actually LIKE the movies. The things I said that I didn't like was because that was like the 7th time I watched it, so I just started nit-picking.

• Brohoof 1

I've said this before, but the brilliance of FiM is it's not trying to emulate anything else. You can't point towards another show and say, "oh well MLP is just ripping that off". FiM draws strength and inspiration largely from itself, and therefore has a strong sense of integrity. The same can not be said for EQG. While I absolutely loved EQG and RR, what I don't like is it's trying to emulate something like Monster High, or Everafter High, and since those cartoons are your typically vapid, teenage intellectual black holes, EQG is relegated from that starting position and has to build itself up from there. Granted it builds itself up well, but at times not well enough to completely escape what inspired it.  

• Brohoof 1

I just don't like it. There is no explanation why, I just hate it in every single way possible. Maybe it is because I am just to hooked to ponies or something.

Over the course of two feature-length movies, Flash Sentry has done exactly one plot-relevant action (Proving that the photos of Twilight were shopped). Said action would probably have been more effective if anyone else had done it.

• If one of the Human 5 had done it, it would have reinforced the sense that they really are Twilight's friends.
  • If Derpy, Trixie, Lyra, etc. had done it, the scene would have been much more memorable due to giving a background pony a role in the story.
  • Hell, the scene would still have kinda worked if they had taken the blank character template and added random parts to it to create some generic background filler dude who is then never mentioned ever again.

Another thing I didn't like was that the plot of Rainbow Rocks is way too predictable. The first act not only shows us all of the problems the characters will have to face, but also how they will overcome it. You can easily guess everything that's going to happen in the movie by the 15 minute mark. The only surprise was that Vinyl Scratch plays more than a background role, but even then she doesn't get any lines so it's not much of a role.

The only thing i really didn't like was Rainbow Dash. Her character was so annoying in both films. Which is weird because i love pony RD's personality :/ Other than that nothing really bothered me. I thought they were enjoyable films

(edited)

Even though Rainbow Rocks turned out to be a good film, many of us were almost turned off to it beforehand because of the absurdity of the concept of the entire Mane 6 being made to form a band. Overall, the decisions made in this franchise seem to promote conformity. That is the very thing the Season 5 premiere so thoroughly debunked, and the entire world of Equestria is pretty much against with such conceptions of individuality as cutie marks and the idea of friendship and harmony coming from the cooperation of diverse personalities.

Just one gripe here. 

I wouldn't say that the premise of this franchise is to promote conformity, but rather to celebrate individual differences while uniting them together in hopes of creating some semblance of harmony and connectedness among the students at Canterlot High.

While I prefer EQG1 (to my chargrin  :blush:), this was poorly done in its implementation and it almost contradicted itself at times, such as with how Twilight expresses in the "Cafeteria Song" that she "want you to be true to you" while also believing that we should "put our differences aside". I reconcile the contradictions by believing that the major message of the first movie was about being willing to play down ones individual differences for the purpose of unity, which I don't entirely agree with. Not necessarily pushing for conformity, but definitely the series' spirit of championing uniqueness and diversity wasn't found here.

The second movie, however, salvaged this by uniting the show's viewpoint--our differences are good and bring greater depth to a community or a friendship--and EQG1's message of uniting very distinct people to better facilitate an amiable and harmonious environment. And they did this in a pretty creative way--using the analogy of a band.

A band brings together disparate instruments each with their own respective melodious beauty, combining and interweaving the individual sounds of each instrument to form music--which can also carry the meaning of "harmony". The movie, coupled with the shorts on each instrument and with AJ's line in "Friendship Through the Ages" talking about how each style is special and unique, rescues the meaning I believe they intended initially in the first movie but failed to deliver in lieu of focusing on the unity of the classmates for the clichéd "unite against the bully" storyline.

Moreover, the Sirens intended to create schisms among the students not for the purpose of celebrating their individual identities but to make sure their individuality was expressed in a destructive manner instead of a constructive one. If anything they were the most conformist characters throughout the franchise based on their hive-like mindset and similar designs, especially their "Equestrian forms", and once their union was broken with the gemstones upon their neck, their musical harmony became a cacophony of disharmony.

Thus, I feel the franchise's major message is that our individual differences and uniqueness are special and should be something we cherish, but when we come (or "band" :lol: ) together, something greater can be fostered--a "music", or harmony (or, with the first one, getting rid of a high school bully :derp:).

Edited by estoc
  • Brohoof 2

(edited)

Just one gripe here.

I wouldn't say that the premise of this franchise is to promote conformity, but rather to celebrate individual differences while uniting them together in hopes of creating some semblance of harmony and connectedness among the students at Canterlot High.

While I prefer EQG1 (to my chargrin :blush:), this was poorly done in its implementation and it almost contradicted itself at times, such as with how Twilight expresses in the "Cafeteria Song" that she "want you to be true to you" while also believing that we should "put our differences aside". I reconcile the contradictions by believing that the major message of the first movie was about being willing to play down ones individual differences for the purpose of unity, which I don't entirely agree with. Not necessarily pushing for conformity, but definitely the series' spirit of championing uniqueness and diversity wasn't found here.

The second movie, however, salvaged this by uniting the show's viewpoint--our differences are good and bring greater depth to a community or a friendship--and EQG1's message of uniting very distinct people to better facilitate an amiable and harmonious environment. And they did this in a pretty creative way--using the analogy of a band.

A band brings together disparate instruments each with their own respective melodious beauty, combining and interweaving the individual sounds of each instrument to form music--which can also carry the meaning of "harmony". The movie, coupled with the shorts on each instrument and with AJ's line in "Friendship Through the Ages" talking about how each style is special and unique, rescues the meaning I believe they intended initially in the first movie but failed to deliver in lieu of focusing on the unity of the classmates to complete the clichéd anti-bully storyline.

Moreover, the Sirens intended to create schisms among the students not for the purpose of celebrating their individual identities but to make sure their individuality was expressed in a destructive manner instead of a constructive one in a union with others. If anything they were the most conformist characters throughout the franchise based on their hive-like mindset and similar designs, especially their "Equestrian forms", and once their union was broken with the gemstones upon their neck, their musical harmony became a cacophony of disharmony.

Thus, I feel the franchise's major message is that our individual differences and uniqueness are special and should be something we cherish, but when we come (or "band" :lol: ) together, something greater can be fostered--music, or harmony (or, with the first one, getting rid of a high school bully :derp:)

It's all fine that the stories are promoting such messages, but it comes off as sort of empty when the visual style and premise suggest the opposite. Of course there are the aforementioned character design, but even if the band analogy worked, there's still the fact that Pinkie Pie seems to have been the only character known to have a diagetically acknowledged passion and talent for music. Most other instances of Mane 6 characters singing was only for the purpose of plot and entertainment value and is not diagetically acknowledged in the show. Additionally, as far as EqG goes, it really contributed nothing except a stock plot with some Equestrian background thrown in to tie it in with the FiM franchise.

As a plot allegory and as far as entertainment value, Rainbow Rocks works on a number of levels. It's great that the Mane 6 all learned a new talent and put it to use when duty called for them to do so. However, if you consider it in relation to the rest of show canon, it does come off as a bit conformist because characters who did not all have this interest all suddenly have to hone their skills at this one talent whether they liked it or not because the plot said so in pursuit of more toy sales. I'll admit to being biased because of the blatantly commercial background of the movie even if the writers did what can honestly be described as nothing short of a great job.

However, I will say it could have been a lot worse as far as that goes; they could have gone and have Rainbow Rocks take over the entire EqG franchise from here on out, but thankfully it sounds like they have a different plan as far as the theme of the next movie.

The best possible spin on this is that the Equestria Girls franchise will hopefully take a more exploratory turn, with the Mane 6 trying out new talents and giving each movie a different theme focusing on a different activity each time. The next one is set to be sports-themed, after all.

Edited by Wind Chaser
  • Brohoof 2

(edited)

It's all fine that the stories are promoting such messages, but it comes off as sort of empty when the visual style and premise suggest the opposite. Of course there are the aforementioned character design, but even if the band analogy worked, there's still the fact that Pinkie Pie seems to have been the only character known to have a diagetically acknowledged passion and talent for music. Most other instances of Mane 6 characters singing was only for the purpose of plot and entertainment value and is not diagetically acknowledged in the show. Additionally, as far as EqG goes, it really contributed nothing except a stock plot with some Equestrian background thrown in to tie it in with the FiM franchise.

I didn't find the visual style of the characters too alarming. They seemed to fit the model of the show--a major base to use for a respective gender with some unique ones for some more relevant characters. So it will seem that they "conform" to one another, but not so much as the Sirens' form during the final battle. And they frankly had to make designs that could also work for toys. They've grown on me personally. 

The first movie's premise doesn't promote the message that well, but I believe the second movie's does by showing two different ways of using one's individuality: constructive to express it with others to form something greater like instruments come together in a band to make harmonious music and destructive in championing one's own identity to form schisms in a community. The plot's analogy works well here in my opinion.

Well I would argue that some of the singing is acknowledged in-universe or "diegetically" (awesome word ;)), such as when Rarity burst into singing in "Rarity Takes Manehattan" and RD and AJ had a comical physical response after their discussion about the absurdity of musical numbers appearing out of the blue or when Scootaloo shuts Apple Bloom up as she initiates her song in "Somepony to Watch Over Me".

The thing is while the distinct change in themes from EQG1 to 2 and now 3 does smack of a ploy to sell more toys, none of the major characters save Twilight and Sunset are Equestrian--they are their own individuals in this alternate universe that share some similarities with their pony counterparts, but also vast differences like how Pinkie still resides with her family, Fluttershy's willingness to at least be up on stage for backup vocals and to play the triangle, and their respective musical talents. It's a cop-out to give them different talents, sure, but being as they aren't exactly like the Mane 6, I don't see a huge problem with it except lazy writing. Though it does allow, like you say, for us, the viewer, to see these characters in disparate themes and situations, allowing an opportunity for the writers to mold and shape these characters at their whim in creative and imaginative ways that they can't do with characters who have been developed at a much greater extent like in the show. This is Equestria Girls' primary weakness for me but it has the potential to be amazing if it's done right.

Edited by estoc
  • Brohoof 2

1. Female character body designs are copy and paste.

2. Twilight Spakle is a forced fragile character.

3. Fake Lame Asinine Shoddy Has-been Sentry

Flash Sentry or as I like to call him "Generic Love Interest #1000". I think his moment in the first movie could've easily been one of Twilight's friends (heck, even all of them if you think about it. I found his character to be bland during both movies to be honest. 

Another thing I didn't like was Sunset's plan at the climax of EG, there was so much wrong with that little tid bit. But since other people already explained I guess I don't have to. That's pretty much it as far as hate.

Way too much.

1. The embracing of antifeminist, sexist stereotypes. High school's presentation itself is a stereotype and cliché of past high school flicks, but it gets worse by also being generic. You have the generic alpha bitch in Sunset Shimmer, filler in Flash Sentry, the stereotypical side bullies in Snips and Snails (who were also out of character!), flat ReMane Five, the one-dimensional Sirens, and so on.

The moral's presentation of EQG1 is also one of the worst. The moral is supposed to be how friendship takes on multiple forms; how you can find friends beyond your own comfort zone. How do they present it? Via a stereotypical popularity contest.
  2. The setting is completely sterile. Rather than trying something new, Equestria Girls blatantly rips off other competitors and does them worse. EQG1 rips off Monster High and Bratz. RR rips off Jem and the Holograms, one of Hasbro's older lines.
  3. The pacing for both movies are sloppy. The first movie goes both WAY too fast by rushing through the subplots and too slow by forcing the main plot into a complete crawl. RR's pacing is more streamlined, but also completely slow.
  4. The first movie completely disregarded continuity from not only a core of the show, but also its own. It's been both stated AND shown that the EoH can't work without the physical artifacts together and worn by their bearers. So why the hell did the ending rely on both a Diabolus AND Deus Ex Machina?!
  5. Flash Sentry is a half-dimensional Gary Stu that deserves not a bit of praise. While he's not the source of the problem, he exerts no charisma whatsoever.
  6. The character designs are generic, all too samey with superficial variations.
  7. The ReMane Five are flat, simplified, and flanderized. In Rainbow Rocks, out of character, too.
  • Brohoof 1