Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

What things do you despise in EG

InsertUsernameHere

(edited)

-Generic High School Setting Cliche

-Aren't the Elements of Harmony supposed to be used if they are present?

-Flash Sentry has less personality that a piece of cardboard.

-Pinkie Pie's psychic abilities are a giant plot device!

-Most of the soundtrack excl. The Cafeteria Song is garbage.

-Rainbow Dash's one of worst appearances and most flanderized yet!

-It seems really convenient that Sunset Shimmer is able to plan a whole attack with the timing of the portal, running away with it, and what happens if she loses it.

-Twilight Sparkle could've just took the crown and gone back to Ponyville, but they added an incredibly forced plot

-Generic antagonist with goofy sidekicks cliche!

The plot's overall broken AF 

Edited by Angry Cartoon Nerd
  • Brohoof 2

Tbh I liked the first one. It had a nice plot, nice music, and it just made sense. But Rainbow Rocks kind of threw me off. The only thing I disliked about it was the fact that the Mane 6 became a...band, and the plot. It just...asdfghjk.

(edited)

Is Flash Sentry really all that bad? I see him more of a minor problem indicative of the major issues--the clichéd storyline and the malleable nature of these new characters based on the original universe's characters, and the implementation of the overall message. If he didn't exist, the movies wouldn't change all that much. He's just some salt added to the wound.

I can't really hate him as there's nothing to hate: he's a shell of a character, just a conglomeration of a multitude of different archetypes to make the "perfect guy". It's lazy and probably was inserted just to quickly give Twilight a high school romance--Hasbro taking a cue from its competitors and possibly thinking that the target demographic would be stupid enough to fawn over him or the transient, superficial relationship.

The worst thing about Flash Sentry is that I think this husk of a persona, this embodiment of all that which is stereotypically "cool", was supposed to be likable, but I just find the character itself as being harmless to the movie overall. I see him as just an afterthought in the list of problems with these movies who became a totem for all the complaints the audience had about the movie to fester in and explode. 

1. The embracing of antifeminist, sexist stereotypes.

Eh, I think it stems more from, like you said, the flanderization of certain characters. One could argue though, that these characters are not the same beloved (and not so beloved --looking at you Snips and Snails :derp:) ones from the show so it's not so much as flanderization but sort of exploiting our sense of connectedness to one character and transferring it into another humanized version of that character that is now much more malleable, which, as I said before, is one of the franchise's major weaknesses for me, but could be a strength if the stories surrounding the characters are imaginative and full of creativity--Rainbow Rocks did this pretty well for me with the use of the band analogy to bring home the message and a somewhat interesting plot. So is it sexist? Maybe if you exaggerate what the archetypes mean in a broader societal context. 

Edited by estoc
  • Brohoof 1

I hated the music, the plot, and the character deaigns.

Cheers mate. You couldn't say it any better

-Generic High School Setting Cliche

-Aren't the Elements of Harmony supposed to be used if they are present?

-Flash Sentry has less personality that a piece of cardboard.

-Pinkie Pie's psychic abilities are a giant plot device!

-Most of the soundtrack excl. The Cafeteria Song is garbage.

-Rainbow Dash's one of worst appearances and most flanderized yet!

-It seems really convenient that Sunset Shimmer is able to plan a whole attack with the timing of the portal, running away with it, and what happens if she loses it.

-Twilight Sparkle could've just took the crown and gone back to Ponyville, but they added an incredibly forced plot

-Generic antagonist with goofy sidekicks cliche!

The plot's overall broken AF 

That was the most correct thing I have ever read.  :( It's beautiful

• Brohoof 2

The things that I despise is basically everyone elses problem with the movie

the highschool setting. I wish they'd branch out of that, but it looks like they arent going to considering the next one is a sports competition. Hopefully they continue to improve and completely blow my expectations out of the water like they did with RR

I still enjoy it, though.

• Brohoof 1

The highschool cliche was pretty bad, but I don't get thisSunset Shimmer made everyone run away in fear? what was honestly stopping them.... its not likand don't get me started on the diamond dogse she will hit them. Also for certain characters I hated the design Fluttershy looked sick, twilight looks like she was suffocating out for so long her face is purple. and dont sart me up on the diamond dogs. and why on earth was luna and celestia the only ones that had their skin changed?. I have many complaints in design and the actual plot. But TBH it still was pretty good.

Is Flash Sentry really all that bad? I see him more of a minor problem indicative of the major issues--the clichéd storyline and the malleable nature of these new characters based on the original universe's characters, and the implementation of the overall message. If he didn't exist, the movies wouldn't change all that much. He's just some salt added to the wound.

When one thinks of Flash Sentry, they also have to remember Twilight Sparkle being that fragile protagonist at her most vulnerable who couldn't be saved by those failure counterpart friends.

• Brohoof 1

The only thing that annoyed me was Trixie in Rainbow Rocks. I personally think that it would be better if it was Flash Sentry who trapped the mane 6 and Sunset Shimmer instead of Trixie.

(edited)

When one thinks of Flash Sentry, they also have to remember Twilight Sparkle being that fragile protagonist at her most vulnerable who couldn't be saved by those failure counterpart friends.

Sure, but she was now in an alternate universe with a body she didn't know how to control properly. She was pretty vulnerable and this was just the easiest way for the writers to establish Flash as being someone who cared for Twilight to form that superficial relationship. I can't really blame her and I think this was one of the best parts of the first movie--to show Twilight as confused and ignorant to bring home the gravity of the new situation and moving the plot forward. Frankly, I think they did it pretty comically. 

I agree that it would be better if one of the HuMane 5 did so to better foster their newly founded friendship between them but, once again, it seems they were just relying on our connectedness to these alternate universe characters based upon their similarity to the ponies whose characters we love and have developed throughout the length of an entire series. 

Edited by estoc
  • Brohoof 1

(edited)

I should mention that Rainbow Rocks follows a similar formula as Equestria Girls, that's bad.

A school sponsored competition as the plot.

Twilight Sparkle has to be a part of it.

The villains are from Equestria.

Equestrian magic is involved.

Contest falls to the wayside as just a platform for a flashy battle of good vs evil.

Some incident to sideline the protagonist contestants until someone bails them out.

Villains want some of Twilight's sweet sweet magic. :o

Flash Sentry romance.

HuMane 5 have to resolve their friendship issues as a group and work together against the villain.

Edited by Singe

'Despise' is far too strong a word for how I feel about EG, or anything MLP-related, to be honest. The closest things that come to mind are FlashLight (the romance blossomed way too quickly IMO, especially since Flash has done little for Twilight so far... and besides, I prefer mare x mare shippings anyday~  :ph34r:) and the setting, which would interest me more if it was much more expansive rather than condensed into a single high school.

• Brohoof 1

(edited)

'Despise' is far too strong a word for how I feel about EG, or anything MLP-related, to be honest. The closest things that come to mind are FlashLight (the romance blossomed way too quickly IMO, especially since Flash has done little for Twilight so far... and besides, I prefer mare x mare shippings anyday~  :ph34r:) and the setting, which would interest me more if it was much more expansive rather than condensed into a single high school.

I agree, even though Im the one who started the thread. I agree with the whole FlashLight thing, because Flash Sentry Totally went too far with the making twilight cry and all. Although I am not to crazy about shipping in general  :okiedokielokie:

Edited by InsertUsernameHere
  • Brohoof 1

(edited)

Twilight Sparkle is aiming to be the most popular girl in a school where nobody knows anything about her short of a song.

Besides Flash Sentry, where exactly are the other guys or girls? There should have been others wanting to ask Twilight Sparkle to the dance.

Hell, none of the HuMane5 even had dates. Unless Hasbro was secretly implying that they are in romantic relationships with each other, that's cool.

Edited by Singe

some of the following things are not outright hate, but observations mainly

-The HS setting: I understand it's an easier setting to adapt, but it's cliche and pretty mundane after 3 seasons of crazy pony stuff

-The girl's design: Yes, pretty generic and copy pasted, but I don't see you guys complaining their ponies counterpart look alike too if not were for their color and eyeshape  :bedeyes: . I get the most demanding persons, specially those into humanized art, find it unpleasant they all have the same size (in more than one way  :dash: ), but remember this is a cartoon targeted to a demographic who don't care about "assets" sizes and stuff. Be glad we can still tell them apart with their hair, eyes and personalities  :twi:

-Skirts and boots: This one kinda bugs me alot. Yeah, I get that boots ir a reference to the hooves of their pony counterparts, but the skirts are a big no, because making everyone wear one, didn't helped it's initial image of being a stereotypical HS drama  >_>

-The romance subplot: I don't really hate Flash Sentry, but dat romance don't work that way, and it further aggravated the HS stereotype. At least I had fun with the rants  :lol:

The "anorexia is magic" feel.

Wait the what? That NEVER comes up in the movies!

~ ~ ~ ~

I feel like the title is a bit off. "Things you despise in X" seems to presume that you hate X. I like the movies quite a bit, though the second is a massive improvement.

The only thing I really don't like is Flash, and no, not because I have romantic inclinations towards Twilight. (Fluttershy is more my speed.) No, it's because in a series that has three dimensional and interesting characters, Flash Sentry is a cardboard cut out, a walking plot device.

You could remove or edit his scenes, and nothing would change. He exists to give Twilight a love interest, one that doesn't even affect the plot, or has any kind of chemistry with his supposed crush.

Wait the what? That NEVER comes up in the movies!

~ ~ ~ ~

I feel like the title is a bit off. "Things you despise in X" seems to presume that you hate X. I like the movies quite a bit, though the second is a massive improvement.

The only thing I really don't like is Flash, and no, not because I have romantic inclinations towards Twilight. (Fluttershy is more my speed.) No, it's because in a series that has three dimensional and interesting characters, Flash Sentry is a cardboard cut out, a walking plot device.

You could remove or edit his scenes, and nothing would change. He exists to give Twilight a love interest, one that doesn't even affect the plot, or has any kind of chemistry with his supposed crush.

No I totally agree that Rainbow Rocks was a good movie. And about Flash sentry.But I'll tell you a plot device, and thats Pinkies sudden oncoming of psychic ability. I find that just to be a bit, just, funny and terribly made on Hasbros part.

No I totally agree that Rainbow Rocks was a good movie. And about Flash sentry.But I'll tell you a plot device, and thats Pinkies sudden oncoming of psychic ability. I find that just to be a bit, just, funny and terribly made on Hasbros part.

Eh, I laughed at it. Besides the scene ends as it would have if Pinkie hadn't said anything and Twilight just told herself. Pinkie just sped it up a few seconds.

This is what I dislike about Equestria Girls

The Cutie Mark Crusaders go to Canterlot High

What the heck. Isn't their age around 8-12 years old. If so why do they go to a High School? They should be in Primary School.

Also Flash Sentry. Why would Twilight go out with him. She should have a relationship with Sunset Shimmer. It can tell people ot is okay to be Gay/Lesbian/Bisexual.

Also too many Gender Stereotypes. They made Equestria Girls so they can compete with Monster High. It expresses the Stereotype that Girls love fashion.