Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Zebra name? Or, how to approach naming a zebra.

Sterity

I have made a zebra character and was having some difficulty in coming up with a name. I had thought of simply Aisha but that seemed rather plain. The only problem I really have is not having much to compare to, as their has only been Zecora in the show and most other zebra oc's are variations of that name.

I had considered her backstory being that she is from the pony equivalent of somewhere in the Caribbean, but that didn't really help me any in terms of names. 

Do you have any ideas or suggestions on how to start on naming a zebra? Thanks if you do!

tumblr_noz2ngRHtq1upwha3o1_1280.png

• Brohoof 2

Zecora is a Swahili word for "Zebra", so start off by looking at Swahili baby names that also have meanings behind them, for your character?

That helped, and I feel like an idiot for not catching the Swahili considering that I took a class on Africa Civ. *facepalm*

I came up with Dalila Kani, which are the names for gentle and sound, so I guess her name would translate to gentle sound.

Still working on story. Was thinking of something like an artist, which this works for, but again since their aren't really much to compare to I am still working on it. Based off the show, it seems like zebras maybe don't follow the same path as ponies in the sense that their names are related to their cutie mark which is related to their talent. If so, then what the heck does Zecora's mark mean!?

@@Sterity,

Well my Zebra OC is named "Ezekiel" and the best Zebra OC I've seen was Xenith in Fallout Equestria. So anything with a prominent "z" sound in it is a good rule of hoof. Aisha seems all right, but perhaps "Aizia" might be an alternative. If not a "z" sound something similarly along it's pronunciation. 

Alora

Ashoma

Amii

Akira

Anoki

Aztura

Avodri

Asinti

Aroko

Amodari

Atortala

Aminoske

Alomono

Ahzonthe

Aquita

Aforita

Azokta

I just threw these names on A out from the top of my head. I have no idea if they are actual names, or if they mean anything. Finding the one name is hard :D

@@Sterity,

Well my Zebra OC is named "Ezekiel" and the best Zebra OC I've seen was Xenith in Fallout Equestria. So anything with a prominent "z" sound in it is a good rule of hoof. Aisha seems all right, but perhaps "Aizia" might be an alternative. If not a "z" sound something similarly along it's pronunciation. 

Yeah, Xenith was awesome! I made a zebra for a Fallout pnp that I named Xanadu, but that was a male character. Ezekiel is good but also is a more masculine name and is also Hebrew rather than a language of Africa.

• Brohoof 1

Yeah, Xenith was awesome! I made a zebra for a Fallout pnp that I named Xanadu, but that was a male character. Ezekiel is good but also is a more masculine name and is also Hebrew rather than a language of Africa.

I know, the name choice was deliberate. Ezekiel is the name of a Prophet and the character is a shaman, just because he's not a pony doesn't mean his name doesn't have to be meaningful.

Plus remember the Zebra nation also had a lot of Roman elements to them in the story so you could use feminine Roman names as a springboard of ideas.

I know, the name choice was deliberate. Ezekiel is the name of a Prophet and the character is a shaman, just because he's not a pony doesn't mean his name doesn't have to be meaningful.

Plus remember the Zebra nation also had a lot of Roman elements to them in the story so you could use feminine Roman names as a springboard of ideas.

Never thought of the Roman aspect. Good call ;) That would require a little more work on the backstory on my part since the Roman language is very ornate and detailed.

I was also very aware of the meaning behind the name Ezekial. I just didn't want to bring it up due to not wanting to appear like a know-it-all and the religious aspect, of which I am also aware of it and relate to, could lead to some unwanted backlash on the interwebs.

• Brohoof 1

Never thought of the Roman aspect. Good call That would require a little more work on the backstory on my part since the Roman language is very ornate and detailed.

You're quite welcome. Don't be afraid to blend. Experiment. See what you come up with.

I was also very aware of the meaning behind the name Ezekial. I just didn't want to bring it up due to not wanting to appear like a know-it-all and the religious aspect, of which I am also aware of it and relate to, could lead to some unwanted backlash on the interwebs.

Oh no worries, this forum is one of the best places on the web for such topics. Do we fight? Occasionally, but there's still a level of cordiality to the debate that's unseen elsewhere when it comes to normally taboo subjects. 

Religion and faith playing something of a large part in Fallout Equestria, and being a very spiritual, faith driven person myself, I wanted my FO:E self-insert to reflect that part of my personality where my canon ponysona could not. Hence the status as a shaman, an explicit religious authority, and the name of a Prophet. 

• Brohoof 1

Interesting topic! I named my half zebra character Sanura, cuz it's an African name. It's also a subtle joke; it means "kitten". The joke is that people often pick cute names for babies, and sometimes they grow up to not fit their name at all. Sanura grew up to be a spy so hers doesn't suit; however, most non zebras wouldn't get what her name means.