Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

What's your thinking voice?

LittleMac

I haven't paid too much attention to it, but when I'm surprised I think in Rainbow Dash's voice. When I'm angry, I think in GradeAUnderA's voice. If I'm happy, my neutral thoughts may be in a cute girl's voice and my neutral thoughts in a neutral mood is probably my own voice.

I guess I think in my own voice. But it seems more like I'm bypassing the middle-man and going straight to mental impulse without verbal articulation. So I don't always have a voice yammering inside my brain. But when I do, it's just my own familiar speaking voice.  :please:

• Brohoof 3

If I'm imagining a conversation with someone, my thinking voice is the other person's voice for some reason.

Otherwise it's random :wacko:.

Well sometimes my inner thinking voice talks in this totally over-the-top sexy voice about totally bland mundane things....which is why I occasionally start laughing out of nowhere and people give me weird looks. It's incredibly funny and somehow it just gets even funnier seeing people get all confused over it.  :lol:

My thinking voice is nondescript. It's definitely not my own voice, and I don't think it's anyone else's either.

I don't think I could even say whether it sounds masculine or feminine... it's just androgynous.

My thinking voice... Doesn't really have a describable sound. It's not quite like I'm talking to myself, or reading things aloud. It's not my voice, it's not... anyone's. It's like... Something speaking out of the ether and feeding directly into my mind - there's no sound to it, yet I still feel like I'm being read to.

• Brohoof 1

Ok, since my linguistic modality is fairly well formed (I suffered no physical or mental impairments), I should think in a voice that acts as a neural sound - a voice with fake sound so to speak. That happens most of the time, and it is fairly close to how my younger voice used to sound to me. Most of the time ... because I would say that interspersed with the standard inner voice are more abstract elements of understanding - non linguistic auditory sounds, images, colors, and other sensations. I would say 90% of my thought is the inner speech, and 10% is one of the others. This is a curious report. Decades ago it was thought that such events were signs of mental health issues, then this became a point of contention with a few when studying ASL. This can actually happen with some people, and happens more often than you think. Was reading through one journal entry that covered some of this. It is fascinating. 

Fernyhough, C. (2004). Alien voices and inner dialogue: Towards a developmental account of auditory verbal hallucinations. New Ideas in Psychology, 22(1), 49-68. doi:10.1016/j.newideapsych.2004.09.001 

• Brohoof 2

Oh yeah definitly. It's Draco from Dragon Heart, aka Sean Connery. Mostly because I love that movie to bits and there is some sort of wisdom and knowledge within that voice that just makes sence!

I have multiple thinking voices....I'm kind of crazy like that. My conscious mind is like a theater and when I'm deep in thought the cast and crew sometimes want their voices heard. It's not that I have multiple personalities or anything...I feel it's just some sort of residual effect from my early childhood where I had created a lot of imaginary friends to satiate my boredom.

(edited)

My thinking voice changes based on what I watch be it characters from Rick n Morty, or other shows that's usually what happens.

Also changes based on avatars for whom I am reading the dialogue of, prolly due to reading books and thinking in character's voices.

Edited by Lil Pip
  • Brohoof 1

I usually think in my own voice, but if I'm reading a comment or something, I will read it in what my mind thinks of best from the way they're typing, their picture, their name, gender, ect.

Now that I think about it... That's very complicated for something I don't pay attention to.

• 2 weeks later...

I have many thinking voices (I have names for all of them). The five I most use are:

Soshon: This is for Ironic and logical thoughts (is devoid of morale). It is a vary sarcastic voice, but is also vary serious.

Pinpie: Named after Pinkie Pie due to similar "personality", used for crazy and happy thoughts. Sounds vary hyper and crazy.

Conscience: Self explanatory, used for morale and morally logical thoughts. Sounds exactly like I do.

Perd: Used for those thoughts you have that you find disgusting and make you want to vomit but are not sure why you thought of them in the first place. Sounds somewhat like Conscience.

Psycho: Also self explanatory, used for angry and violent thoughts. Sounds like the stereotypical serial killer.

Yeah, it is weird...  :orly:

• Brohoof 2

My thinking voice is the same as what I normally sound like in my mind. It will however be different depending on if I'm thinking in English or French. For some reason they sound different, the English voice is lighter than the French one.

(edited)

JUDOON!

I CAN ONLY THINK IN JUDOON AND IT'S DRIVING ME CRAZY!!

IT NEVER STOPS!

AND I DON'T EVEN KNOW WHAT I'M SAYING!!

AAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!

not really, though :P

Edited by EquestriaGuy

Typically, mine is a voice that I just can't identify because I can only really use my normal thinking voice when I'm...not thinking about it. When I do think about it, I usually assign it to some random character, whether it's a real person or a fictional one. However, my thinking voice is some random, unnamed man. I'm not sure if it's someone from my past that I was too young to remember because of childhood amnesia or if it's really just a fictional person...or if it's supposed to be what I sound like in the future according to my brain.

• 2 months later...

Well, I sort of attribute different tones & voices to my different emotions. Like, when you think your angry or grumpy you think you sound a bit more gruff & petulant then usual.

Funny thing is, I can't hear my actual voice. Think i'm stuck listing to how I sounded before puberty and just never noticed my voice changed. Whenever I hear a recording of myself it sounds so slow, dull, and scary.

Suppose my inner voice is a bit more like...Ace Ventura, Pet Detective? Or like those whiny youtube reviewers like Linkara or PeanutbutterGamer. Hi-pitched, giggly, and at its lowest, pouty at worst.