Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Why is Dislestia a thing? Understanding shipping

ManaMinori

FlutterCord remind me of Katara/Aang while Dislestia seems more like Katara/Zuko

Good comparison. I'm still a fan of Zutara. XD

Except unlike that ship war, I'm pretty sure neither Fluttercord OR Dislestia are actually going to happen in the show.

If they do, I'm rooting for Dislestia, but I highly doubt they'll full out make either an official THING.

From what i have seen and read: Self-Insert.

Yeah, i actually read a several dislestia stories and read their fan comics too. From celestia's portrayal and behaviour...it's an obvious self-insert.

Many of them self-insert them her , they imagine themselves as celestia being loved/dominated/taken by discord.

Not much different than 50 shadesy of grey...

I dont understand this ship either. "Opposites attract" doesn't apply to everyone. 
Take Vinyl and Octavia. 
Do you /really/ think they'd get along that great? Someone who performs at royal galas and another who probably parties all night?

I doubt they could ever have a relationship, it's hard enough to imagine them as even friends. 
Sorry shippers, I just don't see it. When I ask most people "why" they ship it, they say "because they like music"

??? Then ship Lyra and Octavia. That seems a LOT more plausible.

• Brohoof 1

From what i have seen and read: Self-Insert.

Yeah, i actually read a several dislestia stories and read their fan comics too. From celestia's portrayal and behaviour...it's an obvious self-insert.

Many of them self-insert them her , they imagine themselves as celestia being loved/dominated/taken by discord.

Not much different than 50 shadesy of grey...

Several Fluttercord fics I've come across falls into that same hole too though....they give off that Twilight Vampire series vibe...bleh. Sadly, whichever of the two shippings, there's a lot of girls who "husbando" Discord and use the shipping to exert that.

• Brohoof 1

Also the cast likes to help out too at times.

(It's at 53:50)

(He does it again at 1:14:00)

He interacted with Nicole Oliver before that, they most likely set him up for this. Is not like voice actors change anything anyway. Andrea Libman ship Fluttermac since S1 and yet again there is Cheerilee/Big Mac friendship in the next episode.

(edited)

He interacted with Nicole Oliver before that, they most likely set him up for this. Is not like voice actors change anything anyway. Andrea Libman ship Fluttermac since S1 and yet again there is Cheerilee/Big Mac friendship in the next episode.

Oh, I know they don't change anything. But they cheer us on.

And Andrea Libman ships Fluttermac?? YAAAAAY!! 8D

I'm getting all my Christmases at once this week.

But this thread it making me realize I need to make myself an official list of the reasons I ship Celestia and Discord. It's such a long list that I can't type it out every single time someone asks. So I'll create it and then just save it to my desktop for future use. X3

Edited by ShadOBabe

I highly doubt anyone was set up for anything. It's like you're grasping at straws man.

And I don't see what the big deal is with De Lancie shipping Discord with Celestia, in the end it doesn't influence the show.  People on both sides of the shipping spectrum are making a big deal out of nothing.

I highly doubt anyone was set up for anything. It's like you're grasping at straws man.

And I don't see what the big deal is with De Lancie shipping Discord with Celestia, in the end it doesn't influence the show.  People on both sides of the shipping spectrum are making a big deal out of nothing.

I seen his old videos, he doesn't watch any episodes nor remember any pony name except Discord, And that was just before his hiatus in the fandom. Now you are saying that he know the characters and interactions in the show and what his characters would like. And i bet he would pick one name if someone prompt him about either Dash or Pinkie Pie. But since the thread is about understanding dislestia, i guess that so far it is the most legitimate reason for this ship. At least out of every other arguments so far.

I seen his old videos, he doesn't watch any episodes nor remember any pony name except Discord, And that was just before his hiatus in the fandom. Now you are saying that he know the characters and interactions in the show and what his characters would like. And i bet he would pick one name if someone prompt him about either Dash or Pinkie Pie. But since the thread is about understanding dislestia, i guess that so far it is the most legitimate reason for this ship. At least out of every other arguments so far.

I have met him in person at the first two pony conventions he attended. And he had interacted with Nicole Oliver at Unicon. He knows who she is, and who her character is. Also the fact that it's a character that has been brought up in scripts he has read. JDL's knowledge of the show expands to the work he has done and the interactions he has had in conventions. That is enough for him to know who Celestia is and have a basic knowledge of her. 

• Brohoof 1

I have met him in person at the first two pony conventions he attended. And he had interacted with Nicole Oliver at Unicon. He knows who she is, and who her character is. Also the fact that it's a character that has been brought up in scripts he has read. JDL's knowledge of the show expands to the work he has done and the interactions he has had in conventions. That is enough for him to know who Celestia is and have a basic knowledge of her. 

He doesn't even have Celestia name in his scripts since Return Of Harmony not to mention single direct interaction, you are now fanboying him but he isn't that deep into the lore or character. Not even Mane6 VA are.

He doesn't even have Celestia name in his scripts since Return Of Harmony...

"Being encased in stone doesn't keep me from hearing every word Celestia says."

"You know I think Princess Celestia was right when she singled you out-" etc.

Those are from "Keep Calm and Flutter On".

I don't care about the ship. I would say the same thing about De Lancie if he said that about Fluttershy. I even said the same thing when people were giving me videos about his "favourite pony" . John is just not into the fandom to even know his characters. His entire documentary was just a money grab and he abandoned the fandom after that. Until given evidence that he talk about any character and can describe a single trait, i will not buy his sudden expertise in mlp lore. Whatever his fans going to say about it.

Guys; let's simmer down. There's no need to bait other members over the preference of their ships; nor is there any need to get over defensive.

Considering the tone I hid a couple of posts that could be construed as baiting or being too defensive. As such, I will remind everyone to be respectful of people's opinions. It's fine to ask questions about a ship, but there's a line that doesn't need to be crossed. Let's keep it like that.

Thank you.

• Brohoof 1

I don't care about the ship. I would say the same thing about De Lancie if he said that about Fluttershy.

Well good to know you're not blinded by a silly shipping preference.

I still feel that that's a very pessimistic view on John de Lancie as a person though.

But I assume the best in people until they prove me wrong.

God....these days everything is either baiting, defensive, offensive, political inccorect, triggering or whatever. >_>

Fine.

Here's a simple question, one that nearly a every celestcord shipper i asked didn't answered:

The clear evidence of them having a thing.

Where does she say she loves him?

Where does he say he loves her?

Where does it say they grew up together?

Where does it say they were a couple in the past?

Where does it say they will be a couple in future?

I watched the show and read the comics and books. I don't see anything that implies of them being romanticaly involved.

The only things i alway heard were headcanon. Most of them already disproven.

Shipping is one thing but shoving it in everyones face and bothering the staff, another one.

• Brohoof 2

This was actually a question put up at the voice actors panel at Everfree Northwest this past weekend. Nicole Oliver herself answered it too. She said after the the episode reforming Discord and all the Fluttercord shippers showing up, she made a joke at a closely following convention that it should be Celestia and Discord because she was such a big fan of de Lancie. So she started an Oliver/de Lancie ship and the fandom ran with a Celestia/Discord ship

(edited)
God....these days everything is either baiting.

You're the one that basically said, "Haha, Dislestia shippers are so easy to bait."

Just try being respectful and talking to people as equals.

Where does she say she loves him? Where does he say he loves her? Where does it say they grew up together? Where does it say they were a couple in the past? Where does it say they will be a couple in future?

Don't need those to ship. Pretty much ALL ships in this fandom (or any fandom) can't answer those questions.

You can still hope something becomes canon. Nothing wrong with that. But it doesn't need to be canon for someone to see something appealing in the idea. I love Dislestia, but I understand the appeal of ALL the major Discord ships. DiscoLight, DiscoPie, Fluttercord, etc. Dislestia is just the one that appeals to me the most. If it was about "self-insertion" I would make my own OC-self to ship with him. I have the talent to create one.

Like I wrote earlier, I have too much Dislestia stuff to write up at once.

But one reason I just said to someone on DA was that I liked how they each have something the other needs.

Celestia embodies the kindness, responsibility, and compassion that Discord needs to learn. And Discord represents the fun and adventure that I feel Celestia has had to systematically give up in order to do her job. 1000+ years of leadership can take a toll.

Sure fandom has conjecture.

That's part of the fun. 83

This was actually a question put up at the voice actors panel at Everfree Northwest this past weekend. Nicole Oliver herself answered it too. She said after the the episode reforming Discord and all the Fluttercord shippers showing up, she made a joke at a closely following convention that it should be Celestia and Discord because she was such a big fan of de Lancie. So she started an Oliver/de Lancie ship and the fandom ran with a Celestia/Discord ship

I'm pretty sure the ship existed even before that. I think I was one of them, but I can't be sure.

There wasn't one moment where I suddenly said, "I ship it like Fed Ex!!" I think it was more gradual.

Edited by ShadOBabe

Sounds like her.

I heard the reason she wants dislestia was because a possible kiss scence with john.

I remember correctly, fluttercord was even before the reformation a thing. Only a tiny one but a thing nevertheless.

I'm pretty sure the ship existed even before that. I think I was one of them, but I can't be sure.

There wasn't one moment where I suddenly said, "I ship it like Fed Ex!!" I think it was more gradual.

Oh, I'm not attributing it to that entirely. It's an internet fandom so there's bound to be at least a few people that ship something super early. For example, I'm pretty sure I've seen some Tree Hugger/Discord around since the episode. I was attributing the explosion in popularity to it as the person who is essentially Celestia herself announced it directly to a high numbered gathering

Oh, I'm not attributing it to that entirely. It's an internet fandom so there's bound to be at least a few people that ship something super early. For example, I'm pretty sure I've seen some Tree Hugger/Discord around since the episode. I was attributing the explosion in popularity to it as the person who is essentially Celestia herself announced it directly to a high numbered gathering

Oh I see. No you're probably totally right about that.

(edited)

Guess one can only ship because they want things to be canon and not for fun. Sweet.

Anyways, the earliest I remember her saying she ships it was at Unicon when she actually pointed towards Meghan McCarthy and AKR that the question should be aimed towards them.

Edited by ArcheoPony

(edited)

Guess one can only ship because they want things to be canon and not for fun. Sweet.

Anyways, the earliest I remember her saying she ships it was at Unicon when she actually pointed towards Meghan McCarthy and AKR that the question should be aimed towards them.

Actually Dislestia turn big after Return of Harmony. That episode had Discord as the most related character to Celestia by implying that they shared something beside hate. Of course FlutterCord also started to exist. Weaver made the first comic about them as a joke and the ship itself was overshadowed by Dislestia and PinkieCord. I know this becasue i was shipping Dislestia throughout S2 until S3. However Fluttershy turned out to be more developed and interesting character that actually felt sympathethic toward Discord while Celestia only not only lost her remainig respect and competence as a ruler but only shown that she only interact with him when she wanted something and never gave him benefit of the doubt when he left Elements of Harmony "just in case" to Twilight. She never gambled or truly believed in him like Fluttershy did and she deserved his betrayal in S4. You could say that writers made me dislike it (i'm also kind of started to dislike Sparity)

Celestia embodies the kindness, responsibility, and compassion that Discord needs to learn.

Fluttershy embodies the kindness, responsibility, and compassion that Discord needs to learn. Sorry, coudn't resist. But it was like saying That Celestia represent the randomness and laughter instead Pinkie Pie. The kindness and compassion would be more visible after trying to reform him a bit earlier than 1000 year old later and only after he reminded her that she have a paralyzed prisoner in her garden.

Edited by Conred

Actually Dislestia turn big after Return of Harmony. That episode had Discord as the most related character to Celestia by implying that they shared something beside hate. Of course FlutterCord also started to exist. Weaver made the first comic about them as a joke and the ship itself was overshadowed by Dislestia and PinkieCord. Even i was shipping them throughout S2 until S3.

That's common knowledge man. And it wasn't what I was referring to.

However Fluttershy turned out to be more developed and interesting character that actually felt sympathethic toward Discord while Celestia only not only lost her remainig respect and competence as a ruler but only shown that she only interact with him when she wanted something and never gave him benefit of the doubt when he left Elements of Harmony "just in case" to Twilight. She never gambled or truly believed in him like Fluttershy did and she deserved his betrayal in S4

I can somewhat agree on the way Celestia has been handled. I have not been to fond of her handling during most of the McCarthy run. Though, she did gamble. The whole Discord thing was a gamble since KCAFO. A gamble she technically lost in the Tirek two parter.

And I can't blame her for leaving the Elements as just in case. Considering the guy's history she was only playing it as safe as possible and as beneficial for both sides as possible.

As to Fluttershy, because that's how she is, that's the whole reason Celestia tasked HER. Because she knew Fluttershy was the one to most likely come to the fairest result with Discord. I think what makes Flutters and Discords friendship so special and beautiful is the aftermath, the fact that he got used to her and she being the sweet accepting girl she is being cool with it.