Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Do more bronies watch mlp than little girls?

Nurse

I'm curious at this point with how big the brony movement is do more bronies watch mlp than little girls? I thought I read a study last year from like 2011 or 2012 that said over half the mlp viewership is from bronies is that true or am I remembering it wrong?

I'm curious at this point with how big the brony movement is do more bronies watch mlp than little girls? I thought I read a study last year from like 2011 or 2012 that said over half the mlp viewership is from bronies is that true or am I remembering it wrong?

First of all

brony is gender neutral

Second of all

Why does it matter?

It may look that way since girls typically feel threatened by the male fan base that became the main fanbase

So they won't be as known to be fans

Wherever you get your stats from, they will always be flawed

there is no possible way to measure the fandom's gender statistics accurately and efficiently

Nah

It may seem like bronies dominate the audience because we're louder than the primary demographic, but I'm pretty sure most of the ratings come from children.

I don't have any actual statistics, though. I'd be interested in seeing them.

• Brohoof 4

The thing with that study is I believe a lot of the really young people (which it's safe to assume is mostly female) aren't a part of that study. I think it's safe to say most of the viewers are female, so no, there are less bronies than girls who watch MLP.

First off I'm just curious and I'm not saying little girls shouldn't be allowed to watch mlp.

Second I know brony is a gender neutral term and I'm not saying anyone should feel "threatened". And besides people know that there are woman that like the show and I'm not saying that woman aren't/shouldn't watch the show or that I don't recognize them as fans.

Third it's way easier and simpler using one term for all of fans of mlp than multiple. And brony is what people know the fans of mlp are called. You tell someone your a pegasister they won't know what the hell you are talking about if they aren't a brony.

First of all

brony is gender neutral

Second of all

Why does it matter?

It may look that way since girls typically feel threatened by the male fan base that became the main fanbase

So they won't be as known to be fans

Wherever you get your stats from, they will always be flawed

there is no possible way to measure the fandom's gender statistics accurately and efficiently

First of all - "brony" being gender neutral is irrelevant to the OP's question.

Secondly, it matters because the OP is curious, and so are probably a lot of other users.

Lastly, we're not worried about getting perfect statistics, just enough data to see a pattern.

---

This specific study does not show any comparison to the target demographic, but it does give some good information about our fandom:

http://www.bronystudy.com/id1.html

I hope that can help contribute somehow.

~ Miles

• Brohoof 3

Nah

It may seem like bronies dominate the audience because we're louder than the primary demographic, but I'm pretty sure most of the ratings come from children.

I don't have any actual statistics, though. I'd be interested in seeing them.

The thing with that study is I believe a lot of the really young people (which it's safe to assume is mostly female) aren't a part of that study. I think it's safe to say most of the viewers are female, so no, there are less bronies than girls who watch MLP.

Thanks all I was looking for was an answer.

First of all - "brony" being gender neutral is irrelevant to the OP's question.

Secondly, it matters because the OP is curious, and so are probably a lot of other users.

Lastly, we're not worried about getting perfect statistics, just enough data to see a pattern.

I came off all wrong my bad

It mattered since it sounded like op was using it like (brony)boy vs girl

And am already fearful about getting pushed out

am just so tired of people using flaky statistical data as proof of  being like "see this is our fandom"

Sure that's not what op is intending, I immaturely acted too quickly

I apologize OP, my wording was poor and hostile sounding now that I reread it :/

• Brohoof 1

I came off all wrong my bad

It mattered since it sounded like op was using it like (brony)boy vs girl

And am already fearful about getting pushed out

am just so tired of people using flaky statistical data as proof of  being like "see this is our fandom"

Sure that's not what op is intending, I immaturely acted too quickly

I apologize OP, my wording was poor and hostile sounding now that I reread it :/

No worries.  No harm, no foul; I was just responding to your questions nonchalantly.  

To be fair to you, SuperDiscord, the OP ought to have explicitly said "Do the full demographics of MLP show more viewers inside, or outside of the target demographic?"

But I knew what the original question meant anyways.

~ Miles

• Brohoof 1

(edited)

The problem with lots of these studies is that they're bias. Studies done by bronies usually only factor in ages 11 and up while ignoring those that are 10 and below. Then there's the other side that did include children below the ages of 10 but seems to leave some parts off.

http://mlp.derpynews.com/mlp-neilson-ratings-age-comparison/

The graphs there does say ages 2-11 are the usual demographic. This however only covers television ratings (which they care more about due to more money).

Edited by cidershield
  • Brohoof 1

I honestly wouldn't care if there were more little girls that watch the show over bronies. But it is something interesting to check out.

Yeah I don't care either I am just curious on the stats.

• Brohoof 1

(edited)

I doubt it. I'm sure much more kids watch it but bronies are just the loudest.

True it just seems like more bronies watch it because they are the ones everyone talks about. It's not "weird" for a 9 10 year old girl to like the show. I do know for sure that bronies are more into the show than little girls.

Edited by Baumgartner98