Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Random fact thread

MoltenKitten

There's a mostly a capella metal band called Van Canto. I called them a 'mostly a capella' band because they have a drummer. I think they had a few people that tried to do the drums a capella style, but they were too worn out after just a few songs. Here's one of Van Canto's songs, a cover of Sabaton's Primo Victoria featuring Sabaton's lead singer, Joakim Brodén

In Victorian England, a commoner was not allowed to look directly at the Queen, due to a belief at the time that the poor had the ability to steal thoughts. Science now believes that less than 4% of poor people are able to do this.

427px-FactCore.jpg

• Brohoof 4

A flock of crows is known as a murder.

Nearly three percent of the ice in Antarctic glaciers is penguin urine.

Dying is illegal in the Houses of Parliaments.

Human saliva has a boiling point three times that of regular water.

In the UK, it is illegal to eat mince pies on Christmas Day.

Sea otters hold hands when they sleep so they don’t drift away from each other.

New Jersey has a spoon museum that has over 5,400 spoons from across the world.

Anually over 2500 left-handed people are killed from using right-handed products.

Mel Blanc – the voice of Bugs Bunny – was allergic to carrots.

Every human spent about half an hour as a single cell.

It snowed in the Sahara desert for 30 minutes on the 18th February 1979.

Slugs have 4 noses.

James Bond creator Ian Fleming also wrote Chitty Chitty Bang Bang.

Over 1000 birds a year die from smashing into windows.

Hewlett-Packard’s name was decided in a coin toss.

Newborn white whales are black.

Cherophobia is the fear of fun.

Each year, there are more than 40,000 toilet related injuries in the United States.

None of the characters in Shakespear's plays smoke.

Allegedly, you can find out who "champ" is by reading the first letter of each sentence.

I signed in only to brohoof this comment.

Sine, Cosine and Tangent go on to infinity because the series formula that constitutes each of them is the sum of an unending series. Sine looks like this:

(π/180)*x - (π/180)³*(x³/3!) +(π/180)^5 *(x^5/5!) -(π/180)^7 *(x^7/7!) . . .

Before pocket calculators, engineers would perform trigonometry either by memorizing trigonometric numeral identies in common intervals (such as knowing sin(5), sin(10), sin(15)... by memory), or approximating therebetween.

Limitations on computation power such as this are why cars, planes and other vehicles were made of such simple angular or geometric shapes until around 1990, when computers came along that made precision curves and flows much easier.

Edited by Blue
  • Brohoof 4

Is this a destiny fan I see?

'Fraid not, good sir. I havent had the pleasure, mainly due to my lack of a reliable internet connection and time to invest in that game.

In tennessee, i hear its illegal to shoot a whale while in a moving vehicle. Sorry, rednecks.

(Dont say anything about me pointing out rednecks; i live with one, in tennessee, and i am just as trigger happy.)

• Brohoof 1

Fact - not all of these "facts" are true.

There is no proof that polar bears exhibit a "handedness".

They appear to use each paw equally.

Polar-Bear.jpg

However, polar bears are black.

They're black as in they have black skin. But the way light interacts with their transparent, hollow hair makes them look white

• Brohoof 1

• By spring 2016, we may have a direct image of a black hole. 

Tea* has 10x the amount of antioxidants compared to that of fruits and veggies.

~ Long distances, humans can outrun almost any animal.

• Brohoof 3

Sheep are severely stupid and often commit suicide... Two common ways: Getting into a food storage and eating until their rumen or sometimes abomasum ruptures, causing sepsis.  When running they will slam into trees, fences, gates, houses, etc. and break their necks.

Dairy cattle tend to produce the most milk at temperatures between 40 and 50 degrees Fahrenheit, 4.4 to 10 degrees Celsius.

Edited by Luna_tic

Computer-generated 3D models are almost always made using one of two common media: Polygons or NURBS.

Polygons are interpolations of points. The locations of the points are what distinguishes the surface of the model in X,Y,Z coordinates, and can be "related" to one another using transformations, rotations and skeleton-like constraints. This type of model generation is often what people think of when they picture "3D models" because they are easy to texture and animate, and thus are nearly the only kind of 3D models ever seen in real-time applications, video games and movies.

NURBS (Non-Uniform Rational Basis Splines) are used in CNC design, computer-aided drawing, drafting, architecture, and other applications where the 3D model is turned into a real world object. 3D Printers convert polygon models into NURBS objects before they can be printed. NURBS are made with very similar tools to Polygon objects, except the computer works by connecting volumes (geometric objects) rather than interpolating points (lines and surfaces). The difference between a Polygon object and a NURBS object is that NURBS will have all of the points in space within its volume mathematically defined, whereas Polygons do not.

For example: look at the points on this character's face.

MacIntosh_v02.jpg

You can see that his nose looks smooth even though in the "wireframe mode", the smoothness is basically a computerized filter that is sub-dividing each square into smaller and smaller ones until it looks smooth.

A spline is actually smooth, rather than having the appearance of smoothness, since the curve is defined by a mathematical function.

gRzXb.gif

Because every single point on the surface or inside the volume of a NURBS object can be calculated, machines can convert that precise information into movement in real-world space, and then instructions to machining tools, or as dimensions on a blueprint.

serv1.jpg

NURBS objects do not appear in animations very often because it is extremely difficult to make them calculate textures or deform them using a time-scale. Both of these tasks are very easy for Polygons.