Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Random fact thread

MoltenKitten

bumble bees shouldn't be able to fly! (Don't tell them that though, it'll make them sad!)

http://www.todayifoundout.com/index.php/2013/08/bumblebee-flight-does-not-violate-the-laws-of-physics/

Another myth that is actually untrue... To sum up the article, the myth that bumble bees shouldn't be able to fly assuming their wings are constructed like those of an airplane (stiff) but they have flexible wings and some kind of joint which allows them to fly...

• Brohoof 1

It might be something about the sunlight. I just recall the childrens magazine i was reading saying it reflected the snow.

http://www.polarbearsinternational.org/about-polar-bears/essentials/fur-and-skin:

Fur. Polar bears' fur consists of a dense, insulating underfur topped by guard hairs of various lengths. It is not actually white—it just looks that way.

Each hair shaft is pigment-free and transparent with a hollow core that scatters and reflects visible light, much like what happens with ice and snow.

The hairs reflect the light. That light may come from the snow (from the sun reflected off the snow, more technically), or directly from the sun.

http://www.polarbearsinternational.org/about-polar-bears/essentials/fur-and-skin:

The hairs reflect the light. That light may come from the snow (from the sun reflected off the snow, more technically), or directly from the sun.

So yeah, basically what i said the second time.

*If you plugs keep getting bent, its most likely the socket in the wall causeing the problem. You can fix this by pushing a butterknife into the socket.

*People who fall for this are probably stupid.

*This is also called "natural selection".

So yeah, basically what i said the second time.

*If you plugs keep getting bent, its most likely the socket in the wall causeing the problem. You can fix this by pushing a butterknife into the socket.

*People who fall for this are probably stupid.

*This is also called "natural selection".

Also called Darwinian Fails.

Random fact: Most people are not THAT stupid.

• 3 weeks later...

Social Darwinism is a philosophical proposal that humans should progress and advance according to the same principles which foster or destroy non-human species' evolution. This view is rejected by modern philisophical scholarship on the principle that it lacks ethical soundness. Most of its proponents today hold it solely for the purpose of dark humor via physical humor or comparison satire.

What modern philisopical scholarship? I agree that Social Darwinism is basically an internet meme at this point, but I thought that the basic premises of it are accepted by the majority of the academic community. Sources please?

I have not researched this topic throughly enough for me to formulate a viewpoint of my own on the issue, by the way.

• Windows is an Operating System made by a company called Microsoft.

Seoul, the capital of South Korea, is only 35 miles (56 kilometers) from the border with North Korea... that's kinda scary.

All life on Earth is carbon-based.

• Brohoof 1

(edited)

The highest tidal range in the world is in the Bay of Fundy near Nova Scotia and New Brunswick, Canada. Between low and high tide, the ocean can rise or fall by more than 50 feet (16 meters).

What modern philisopical scholarship? I agree that Social Darwinism is basically an internet meme at this point, but I thought that the basic premises of it are accepted by the majority of the academic community. Sources please?

I have not researched this topic throughly enough for me to formulate a viewpoint of my own on the issue, by the way.

I don't have specific citations, but I do see in many interviews and debates on youtube that Social Darwinism is generalized under the umbrella proverbial "might is right". This view is widely considered morally abhorrent because the strongest do as they please and the weak are forced to capitulate, surrender or die to those who's power to survive are greater. The entire concept is also entirely opposite to the notions of justice or charity, which makes it counter-intuitive.

What you're probably thinking of is alternatives to Objective Morality, such as Social Humanism or Evolved Moral Theory.

Edited by Blue
  • Brohoof 1

(edited)

Did you know that if you drill a hole through the Earth and jumped in it would take you approximately 42.2 minutes to reach the other side (but you would probably die before you get there)  

Edited by Ac3xAssasin

• 2 weeks later...

The American Civil War did indeed contain naval battles, more than just the Monitor VS Virginia (Battle of Hampton Roads) Ironclad engagement.

Which by the way, that particular battle lasted two days.

• Brohoof 1

• 2 months later...

• Global warming appeared in the 1940s. 

Neutrino detection is supported by liquid gallium. 

Studies now show garlic 'n onion to be quite the carcinopreventive agents. 

Playing a brass instrument the wrong way can result in torn tissue in your cheeks. Just ask that trumpet player, Luis Armstrong (i think thats his name). They say he could fit grapefruits in his cheeks.

Still good at playing his music though.

• Brohoof 1

It takes 8 minutes & 17 seconds for light to travel from the Sun to Earth, but only two seconds for me to light this blunt.

You may have breathed the same air that dinosaurs breathed 1000's of years ago. If you don't think that's the tightest shit then get out of my face.
  • Brohoof 3