Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Random fact thread

MoltenKitten

False. The first automobile was not Swabian. Swabia did not contain all of the Dutch countries, you see. Only some.

There were (at least) 3 on-road automobiles produced before that of Karl Friedrich Benz's first gasoline motor vehicle (1886). Benz, though, was the first to have his works patented.

1. Ferdinand Verbiest - a Fleming (from current Belgium, but it was a part of Flounders at the time) - First steam automobile (1672).

2. Nicolas-Joseph Cugnot - from France - Steam automobile (1769).

3. Robert Anderson - from Scotland - Electric automobile (mid 1830s).

*There may be more before Benz; this list may not be exhaustive.

Then: Karl Friedrich Benz - Germany (which, would have been of course Swabia, though I don't think during his era) - [first?] Gasoline automobile (1886).

Sources:

http://www.autoviva.com/news/ferdinand_verbiest_early_visionary_of_auto_motion/575

http://www.loc.gov/rr/scitech/mysteries/auto.html

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ferdinand_Verbiest

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Flemish_people

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Swabia

~ Miles

Wow. Well informed :D Respect! Well then we at least patented the automobile ;)

• Brohoof 1

Serigo Canavero is the lead physician, neurosurgeon and researcher in his ambitious 2017 goal to be the first to successfully achieve an operation in which a human head is transplanted into another human body. The main goal, of course, is to ensure that the head and body are connected perfectly and remain healthy for a normal is not better than average life span.

Several scientists and physicians are incredibly skeptical on the idea and many think that that the idea sounds ridiculous. I think that the operation is a bit to ambitious for our time, but even should the operation be a success, what will happen to the person's mind? Surely a new body will modify someone's mind in various ways. There are so many different foreign substances in the new body that his brain and modified nervous system will have to adjust to, it's going to take a toll on his mental health.

Regardless, it's incredibly interesting to think of something heard only in science fiction becoming a reality, even if there is only a slim chance of success.

Wow. Well informed :D Respect! Well then we at least patented the automobile ;)

Thanks  :) 

I know a lot about cars, lol.   :icwudt: 

---

It's tractor time, folks:

The first diesel engine tractor on wheels was made by International Harvester in 1935.

However, International Harvester was formed only in 1902... 

Holt Manufacturing Company was formed in 1883, and in 1910 they became known as the Holt Caterpillar Company.

Holt's first gasoline tractor on wheels was made in 1906.  

In 1919, the first Caterpillar 60 was sold under the C.L Best Tractor Co. name, and then C.L merged with Holt/Caterpillar in 1925.

Avery Co. tractors were the main competition against Holt/CAT before IH - Avery went defunct before International Harvester was founded.

---

So, as you see, International Harvester may have had the first diesel tractor on wheels, but it wasn't the first maker of internal combustion engine tractors.  And actually, neither was Holt/CAT.  There were both steam and gas powered tractors before IH, before Holt/CAT, and before Avery.

See this for more info about that: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tractor#History  

---

Sources:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Holt_Manufacturing_Company

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Avery_Company

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/International_Harvester

~ Miles

• Brohoof 2

• Greece has the world's longest national anthem.
  • Scotland's national animal is the Unicorn.
  • Banana's are technically berries.
  • Strawberries technically aren't.
  • Cats are born with eyes shut, and they stay shut for a while after birth.
  • A red ribbon on a horse means it's a kicker. post-29013-0-62750800-1432133430.gif
  • Most fruit flavoured things use pear juice as a filler, as it has a really "average" flavour.
  • The church apologized to Gallileo Galilei only a few years ago.

• Zippers are a Canadian invention, and so is basketball.
  • Brohoof 3

(edited)

Being fatally injured by a cow or a bathtub are significantly more probable causes of death than lightning, shark attack or marathon video-game playing.

There is more water in the Jovian moon Europa than there is on Earth.

Many high-altitude railroads, such as some of those in India, Tibet, Argentina, Chile and Kenya still use steam locomotives. This is because internal combustion engines like diesel and gasoline have performance loss at lower pressures. External combustion (like in steam engines) are not affected by outside pressure, and have reliable power at any altitude.

The combined network of internet users collectively interested in the same thing has been considered to be the first example of a human super-intelligence. This was first observed in the large-scale "operations" committed by members of Anonymous.

Ants outnumber the human race five hundred-thousand to one.

Antarctica is the only continent which does not have a native population of ants or snakes. It is also the only continent without any formal statehoods on its land. If Antarctica was a country, by area it would be the second largest in the world, slightly less than Russia, but more than Canada.

Canada has the longest continuous section of border in the world, shared with the United States.

sig-3805020.16p4bnD.jpg

The Canada-United States Border was laid and cleared in 1845, using chains, ropes, sextants and dead-reckoning to measure out a straight line along the 49th Parallel over 2000 kilometers long.

The highest mountain on Earth is Mount Everest, at 8848 meters above sea level.

The second-highest is Mount Godwin (also known as "K2"), at 8611 meters. It's located less than 100km away from Mount Everest, and is widely recognized as the most dangerous climb in the world. Nearly 25% of all mountaineers who attempt a summit do not survive, and has never been climbed in the wintertime.

The highest mountain in the inner Solar System is Olympus Mons, a shield volcano on Mars. It is roughly the size of France, and has an altitude of 22 kilometers.

The highest mountain in the whole Solar System is Rheasilvia, the peak of an impact crater on the asteroid Vesta. At its highest point, it rises 24km from the surface average.

Originally Big Macintosh was going to be called Big Apple, and would've been the owner of Big Apple Acres. This was changed at Hasbro's behest during the creation of Season 1. However his appearance remained unchanged.

sig-3805020.Big_apple_by_fyre_flye-d4axi

There is one correction for tallest mountian on earth.

The tallest mountain on earth (when measured from its base) is Mauna Kea in Hawaii, at over 33,000 feet (10,058 m.)-- however its base is many miles below the ocean surface, and only 13,796 feet (4,205 m.) of that is above sea level!

Other then that it is correct

Edited by Argumedies

You can stick your hand in molten lead. All it takes is to let it soak up a bit of water and you quickly put your hand in it and pull it back out. The water will vaporize instantly generating a steam barrier around your hand.

You can stick your hand in molten lead. All it takes is to let it soak up a bit of water and you quickly put your hand in it and pull it back out. The water will vaporize instantly generating a steam barrier around your hand.

When i quickly looked at (but didnt read) i thought you had said "head" instead of "hand"

(edited)

Because women release 10 times more oxytocin than men during sex, they should feel 10 times more sexual pleasure than men.

Women generally live longer than men.

1 out 255 for women have some form of color vision deficiency, while it's 1 out of 12 for men.

In general, they can see more shades of color than men (I'm not sure about this one).

Edited by Blobulle

Part of human sexual dimorphism is that males are typically larger than females.

Ships become more bouyant the larger they are, and this goes double for zeppelins.

Cars and trucks become less stiff and harder to control the larger they are, and this goes double for aircraft.

Both of these are due to opposite sides of the Square-Cube Law.

The most antimatter that's ever been made at one time produced 1000 atoms of Antihydrogen.

A black hole with the Moon's mass would have an event horizon the size of a small grain of sand.

The words "Engine" and "Engineer" both come from a Latin word that means 'Clever'.

• Brohoof 1

(edited)

- A well trained musket-armed soldier from the 18th century could fire off ~3 rounds per minute.

- The first armored ship was actually from Korea in the 15th century, 100 of them defeated a Japanese invasion fleet of ~400.

- Rome actually had armored clad cavalry and a ballistae on a swiveling turret pulled by horses.

- Tetris was actually created in the former Soviet Union.

- If you have a US bill in poor condition (to the point of ripped in half), you can actually mail it to the US Mint and the Mint will send you a check for the exact amount that you mailed to them.

Edited by Mustang D
  • Brohoof 1

(edited)

Ken Anderson was an architect who later worked in Disney's Animation department. However, his architecture experience was later called on when they began building Disneyland.  Some of the rides he worked on include Storybookland, Snow White, and the interior to Sleeping beauty castle. He also did some initial sketches for the haunted mansion.

Edited by StoneCold

It takes time (around 80 milliseconds, or 8 hundredths of a second) for data from your furthest appendages (feet) to travel to your brain (longer for taller people, shorter for shorter people).  To keep all of your feelings in sync, your brain delays data from the rest of your senses by the same amount of time.  That means everything you see and feel around you actually happened about 80 milliseconds in the past.  No matter how fast you think you're answering or reacting to something, this lag is always added to it compared to your perception.

One exception to this lag is when you move your eyeballs.  Because it would be confusing to process a blur of images when your eyeball is turning, your brain immediately takes the image after your eye movement is complete and processes that image instead during the lag period while it waits for the rest of your senses to catch up.  The end result is that your eye appears to snap immediately to what you moved it to, when in reality it's sliding into position and covering the slide up with images of the final position.

• Brohoof 4

(edited)

It takes time (around 80 milliseconds, or 8 hundredths of a second) for data from your furthest appendages (feet) to travel to your brain (longer for taller people, shorter for shorter people).  To keep all of your feelings in sync, your brain delays data from the rest of your senses by the same amount of time.  That means everything you see and feel around you actually happened about 80 milliseconds in the past.  No matter how fast you think you're answering or reacting to something, this lag is always added to it compared to your perception.

When a baseball player is about to make a pitch, after the arm is already in the throwing motion, the signal has been sent by the brain to release the ball as your hand passes your ear. The brain automatically compensates for the transit-time of the "release" signal. Every action faster than walking requires similar coordination.

Though I very seriously doubt the lag time is 80 milliseconds. That's nearly a whole second (100 milliseconds). What is a much more accurate measurement is saying that signals travel about 430kph through your nerves.

Edited by Blue

When a baseball player is about to make a pitch, after the arm is already in the throwing motion, the signal has been sent by the brain to release the ball as your hand passes your ear. The brain automatically compensates for the transit-time of the "release" signal. Every action faster than walking requires similar coordination.

Though I very seriously doubt the lag time is 80 milliseconds. That's nearly a whole second (100 milliseconds). What is a much more accurate measurement is saying that signals travel about 430kph through your nerves.

the prefix milli implies 1/1000 therefore 1000 milliseconds equal 1 second and 80 ms is 0,08 s...

• Brohoof 1

A resolution is the amount of pixels contained within a display. As an example, 1920x1080 has 2073600 pixels - 7680x4320, the current highest resolution, has 33177600 pixels, or 16 times the amount of pixels as 1920x1080.

Orson Welles didn't gave 2 bucks about playing unicron in the transformers movie. When he was asked about it in an interview, he said:

"You know what I did this morning? I played the voice of a toy. Some terrible robot toys from Japan that changed from one thing to another. The Japanese have funded a full-length animated cartoon about the doings of these toys, which is all bad outer-space stuff. I play a planet. I menace somebody called Something-or-other. Then I'm destroyed. My plan to destroy Whoever-it-is is thwarted and I tear myself apart on the screen."

• Brohoof 4

the prefix milli implies 1/1000 therefore 1000 milliseconds equal 1 second and 80 ms is 0,08 s...

10 milliseconds (a hundredth of a second) are called a centisecond, commonly seen on many stopwatches but often mistakenly referred to as milliseconds. - Wikipedia

My curse me! I've gotten it wrong all these years!

My curse me! I've gotten it wrong all these years!

Don't worry, I get confused with that too... it's easiest to remember deci = 1/10 (10^-1), centi = 1/100 (10^-2), milli =1/1.000 (10^-3), micro = 1/1.000.000 (10^-6) and nano = 1/1.000.000.000 (10^-9) xP

One exception to this lag is when you move your eyeballs.  Because it would be confusing to process a blur of images when your eyeball is turning, your brain immediately takes the image after your eye movement is complete and processes that image instead during the lag period while it waits for the rest of your senses to catch up.  The end result is that your eye appears to snap immediately to what you moved it to, when in reality it's sliding into position and covering the slide up with images of the final position.

Except this is not always true.

Why do you think your doctor tapped you below the knee cap (and then your lower leg kicked forward gently)?

Reflexes.

Stems from the spinal cord, not the brain.  Nearly instant; much faster than brain-processing.

~ Miles

• Brohoof 1