Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

What is your opinion of opinions?

Ziggy + Angel + Rain

Everyone has them.  Nobody doesn't have them.  Even those who cry "neutral" have expressed an opinion of neutrality.  What is your opinion concerning opinions?

I'll start: One might say opinions are opinions, simple as that.  But this is not my opinion.  My opinion is that the opinions opined by the more opinionated are unlike the opinions opined by the less opinionated.  The less opinionated tend to opine less frequently and less fiercely, while the more opinionated opine more frequently and with comparatively greater ferocity.  This does not necessarily mean the more opinionated will never share the opinion of the less opinionated.  It does, however, suggest that the same opinion would be less fervently opined by the lesser opinionated of the two.

Discuss.  Please move this to the Debate Pit if necessary.

• Brohoof 10

I think opinions are good, but some people use them as a wall to hide from legitimate criticism. I mean, just because you say it's your opinion, it doesn't excuse it from being called out.

• Brohoof 9

My opinion on opinions is that people usually have ddifferent point of views on things and therefore different opinions, however it can be difficult for some people to adapt that their opinion is only their opinion on things and not a way that all people are thinking and because of that there can usually be conflicts between this kind of people, because of the difference in their opinions.

I think that people should be more accepting to other peoples opinions and not try to state their opinion as a fact. People often can get very defensive on their opinions because it is who they are they are expressing themselves through their opinion in a debate which and if they see that other person cant accept their opinion and labels it as wrong input. Sometimes that can cause a feeling of defeat and failure on the conversation or a debate in the question. It can often continue in personal attacks on the opposing person and I dont think that is the right way to go.

I think people should value others opinions and not put any over the another so people could feel safer expressing themselves through social situations and debates. It is easier said than done because opinions usually revolve in sensetive areas where lot of emotions are included.

I for one have seen that it is better if I don't voice my opinions so strongly anymore because the fear of negative backlash.

• Brohoof 2

Not all opinions are equal, nor valid. While opinions are inherently based on subjectivity some are based on prejudices or misinformation and it alters the credibility of the thoughts and he who thought them.

• Brohoof 6

I think opinions are good, but some people use them as a wall to hide from legitimate criticism. I mean, just because you say it's your opinion, it doesn't excuse it from being called out.

Here's the best example of that I've heard probably ever: Someone once admitted to me that they were a racist and then proceeded to say it was their "opinion."

Racism.

An opinion.

• Brohoof 3

I value everybody's opinions. We are all entitled to them, I will not necessarily share them with others, but I will gladly listen to what others have to say :)

• Brohoof 2

So many opinions! :P I'm busting out the thesaurus on this one.

I believe that opinions can be either subjective or objective. Subjective viewpoints are things like, which is the best pony out of the mane six (Applejack, of course!)? Or which is better Apple or Microsoft computers? This type of opinion is created equal because it can't be proven or deny by either side. A objective viewpoint is something like which is true evolution or creationism (leave it be, people)? Both types are known to garner heated debates; but nothing as intense as objective ones. Someone has to be right; and someone has to be wrong. And therefore aren't equal. The only way to prove your point of view is true is to back it up with fact. No fact; then your opinion is like a balloon paper weight. The two types of opinions can't mix or mayhem will ensue. For example.

Person A (subjective): Dogs are the best!

Person B (objective): No they aren't! Statistically, cats live longer than dogs. So, biologically, cats are better!

*Bickering, fighting, violence*

or the other way around:

Person A (Objective): I believe that there is a sun.

Person B (Subjective): I believe that the sun is a hologram

Person A : On what grounds?

Person B: Because, it's my opinion!

Person A: *slaps person B upside the head*

*bickering, fighting, violence*

And then you have situations where both people's options are subjective but both think they're objective:

Person A: Oatmeal is the best. *nom nom*

Person B: No cream of wheat is because it high in iron!

Person A: What?! Cream of wheat is crap! Oatmeal is good for fiber!

*bickering, fighting.......and, violence*

So yeah, that's my opinion on opinions. :P (I feel especially silly right now; probably because it 2:20 am)

• Brohoof 2

Well, everyone has their views, but those with a better grounding in reality are the better opinions.

Yes, it's extremely irritating when someone says "it's my opinion and I'm entitled to it" like a stupid cop-out.

• Brohoof 4

"Opinions are like assholes. Everyone has one.

And like assholes, some of them stink."

- whoever made that quote

• Brohoof 3

(edited)

I've found growing up that I'm usually too stupid or uninformed to make an opinion based on objective truth so I usually refrain from making one until I get as much information as I can about the subject at hand. If I still find myself too deficient in knowledge in that area, I'll remain ambivalent until I find something more convincing. I think I'm open-minded for the most part and I like being challenged on my ideas that I hold with slightly more conviction so that I understand more and get closer to that "truth". There are, however, some principles I've accepted that I won't reject except with rigorous proof for the opposing idea.

But that's just my opinion. :derp:

Edited by estoc
  • Brohoof 1

In my opinion, I think opinions are both... good and bad. It's kind of like a balance between each other, giving life purpose.

Without opinions, there wouldn't be as much wars throughout history, nor division, conflict... Nothing

Though, on the other side of the coin, if no one HAD opinions... It'd be sort of like a feminazi's dream come true. Everyone would be the same, everyone would have the same goals, beliefs... Everything. I believe life should be fun, full of danger and death. But also full of adventure and excitement, because without opinions, we wouldn't be here today talking about our own opinion on opinions. ^^

• Brohoof 1

I suppose generally I don't have much problem with opinions, different from mine, or not... It becomes a problem when people frame their (typically hateful) opinions in a way that makes them sound like they're stating them as a fact, but in fact when you point out that was inappropriate they'll shout back "It's just my opinion!1!111". Usually these "opinions" are ending up insulting people, and I draw the line there.

Also, stating things that aren't opinions as opinion is annoying. You can't tell me that you thinking that being gay is a choice is your "opinion", because it wasn't a choice for me, and you're saying that you know better about my sexuality than I do. Just stop.

• Brohoof 3

(edited)

Opinions are all we have here about what is "right and wrong." "Right and wrong" do not necessarily equate to "corrent and incorrent," that they do not. "Right and wrong" goes back to a person's gut feelings. That is to say, what feels right and what feels wrong to that particular person. 

People love to have opinions on things because they don't need to be correct on anything and it guard them from the humiliation of being incorrect. This is why you see "debate" topics that pretty much lead to nowhere or turns out to be an echo-chamber after a while. Facts? Research? Ain't nobody got time for that!

People hate objectivity because in that arena, your opinions are irrelevant and that makes people feel pretty insecure. Might have something to do with why a lot of people are seeing mathematics like some kind of a satanspawn; there is no right and wrong, only correct and incorrect where opinions simply have no place.

To me it explains why either the topics in the Debate Pit or the discussions in them tend to be trite if not utterly useless.

Edited by SunBurn
  • Brohoof 1

(edited)

"No, you're not entitled to your opinion. You're entitled to your INFORMED opinion. Without information it's just babble, hot air and farts in the wind!" - Harlan Ellison

i.e - you're entitled to what you can argue for.

Edited by Guest

I hate in discussions when people value their opinions as actual arguments or the other way around turn down your obvious facts in arguments as being your opinion... Pisses me off...

• Brohoof 2

Take a drink for the number of times the word of "opinion" or some other variation of the word was used in the OP.

The world is made up of opinions. People are made up of opinions. Countries are made up of opinions. Opinions do have the right to be called out if the backup for the opinion was flawed or incorrect. It's always better to back up your opinions with logic instead of just spewing them out willy nilly without any reasoning. 

However, that does not mean that the one criticizing another's opinions are correct. Never treat your opinions as facts. Too many times on this forum in particular I've seen words like  "objectively" get thrown around to try and make the opinion sound more right. No one's opinions are fact. There's a reason subjectivity exists. I've seen that word used so much that I honestly can't take it seriously anymore. 

What I'm saying is, everyone has a right to their opinions and everyone has the right to question other people's logic of their opinions.

• Brohoof 5