Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

spoiler the new 100th episode trailer

colt .45

(edited)

I swear this episode is like Newton's Third Law with me, for everything I'd like there is an equal yet opposite thing I dislike. 

Okay I am very much on the fence with this episode.

Will I like it? More likely than not yes.  

Will it be a fun episode? Yes.

Will it destroy the fandom? No.

Will I always have a small bit of despair that instead of a celebration of the characters we've loved, the stories we've witnessed and everything else that has come before us and a hopeful look to the future, we're instead getting an extended gag episode? Yes. 

Basically how I feel is that MLP is like a cookie, the humor is sugar, the characters the flour, the story the eggs and so on.  You mix that all together and you create the show.  Some episodes have more character focus, others more comedy and so on, just like different batches of cookies aren't the same.  With this episode it feels like we're getting a 10lbs bag of sugar and calling it a cookie, but not just a cookie, the milestone cookie with is suppose to celebrate all the other cookies that have come before it. 

Edited by Sidral Mundet
  • Brohoof 1

https://youtu.be/Rhpvx58iq00

...I don't know what to say. I honestly don't know what to say. I think that that was the best thing I've ever seen in my life. *quietly wanders away to be amazed that this is actually CANON IN THE FLIPPING SHOW*

Seriously though!!!!!!!!!! *runs around flailing arms and then dies of fangirling* I don't personally ship them so there isn't that aspect :P but THIS IS AMAZING!! I ALWAYS KNEW THEY WOULD PLAY TOGETHER :D :D :D :D I don't know what to do with all the fangirl that I'm feeling right now, lol!!! THAT WAS SO COOL!!

• Brohoof 2

XD I don't like dubstep or ship Octavia/Vinyl, nor are they background ponies I particularly adore, but that new clip was so weird but hilarious.

Some people are sad that it's a background pony episodes instead of the Mane Six, but I'm sure there will be plenty of celebration of the Mane Six and everything they've been through in the final MLP:FiM episode. :)

How are they going to reinvent Button due to the C&D? I like Button the way he is!

I don't see why. The original button was in the show so I don't see why they'd change it :/

• Brohoof 1

(edited)
  • Review the four musical ponies from TBNE objectively.

sig-3823140.sig-3823140.sig-3823140.Gran

The two stallions and the mare blowing in the tuba are generic. Octavia has a very unique hair and mane style, and her posture oozes class. She sticks out the most because she's the most unique. The fandom didn't latch onto her for no apparent reason. She became attracted for reasons similar to why they love Derpy, Vinyl, and Dr. Whooves.

I don't agree with this at all. While I can certainly see why Octavia's design may be more appealing, I don't really see that any of the other ponies in the group have generic designs in their manestyles. They all have manestyles that we don't see in generic background ponies. So she really *isn't* unique. I think it has entirely to do with her design working better.

Poor Beauty Brass and that coloring. But I know that no matter how appealing by design she would have been made, the fandom would have still overlooked her.

I love her either way, she has so much potential!

mlp_fim___beauty_brass_by_joakaha-d6uc1p

Disagree completely. Canonically, we had absolutely no idea about any of their background. We didn't know where they lived, and we certainly didn't know if they knew each other, much less lived together. The blend of music styles fits really well and livens the characters' friendship with one another.

And I'm saying that should have been left to the imagination.

Edited by Envy
  • Brohoof 1

Octavia has best voice.  :D But what about Vinyl...  :blink:

It is very nice that Octavia and Vinyl are finally officially shown to be friends and get to speak.  :proud:

I wonder of Kasumi Evans reprised her role as Octavia  :huh: , though, I don't expect Vinyl to speak at all  :P

I swear this episode is like Newton's Third Law with me, for everything I'd like there is an equal yet opposite thing I dislike. 

Okay I am very much on the fence with this episode.

Will I like it? More likely than not yes.  

Will it be a fun episode? Yes.

Will it destroy the fandom? No.

Will I always have a small bit of despair that instead of a celebration of the characters we've loved, the stories we've witnessed and everything else that has come before us and a hopeful look to the future, we're instead getting an extended gag episode? Yes. 

Basically how I feel is that MLP is like a cookie, the humor is sugar, the characters the flour, the story the eggs and so on.  You mix that all together and you create the show.  Some episodes have more character focus, others more comedy and so on, just like different batches of cookies aren't the same.  With this episode it feels like we're getting a 10lbs bag of sugar and calling it a cookie, but not just a cookie, the milestone cookie with is suppose to celebrate all the other cookies that have come before it. 

Yup you can say that again. Just like South Park did with a 100th episode...and it didn't go bad at all!

I probably won't be able to watch this episode with a straight face. I already know from the previews I could dock a bunch of points from the episode for all the fan pandering, since this looks like he height of it, but then I remember that it's sort of a celebration of the fandom, so massive pandering is to be expected. Though, I don't care about that last clip do to not giving a crap about Octavia and Vynl. Give me some Vynl and Octavia thank you.

I mean I do love the show except for the 100th episode though....BUT...I've got a One question for the MLP fandom: Will everything change after the 100th episode?

New promo for the upcoming ep, but don't expect anything new on this one

Oh, remember when I mentioned Luna in the wedding, turns out Cadance is there too  :yay:

2.JPG

(edited)
I don't agree with this at all. While I can certainly see why Octavia's design may be more appealing, I don't really see that any of the other ponies in the group have generic designs in their manestyles.

Wrong. The two stallions have very similar back manes, and the bangs are near-equal in size. The one on the left has bangs very similar to Applejack. Brass Band's tail is a lot like Derpy's in width and curvature, and her bangs are similar to other ponies even though the curvature and color are different. In addition, their postures blend a ton. They're all very generic.

Octavia is the only one to stand out the most partially because her character design is the most unique. Her back mane flows smoothly until the little curl at the end. That long tail is very fluent, too, with an increase in width halfway. But her bangs really help, too: The round oval shape doesn't borrow from other ponies. Then you have her posture: It's classy and inviting; she's the lone pony of the quartet to legitimately stand, which works well with her cello.

Poor Beauty Brass and that coloring. But I know that no matter how appealing by design she would have been made, the fandom would have still overlooked her.

No. If you gave Brass Band a really unique design, either accidentally or intentionally, then she might have a chance of sticking out. Her design is bland, and she's not doing anything to capture anyone's attention.

Derpy stuck out because despite her plain design, her eyes are crossed.

Vinyl stuck out because she looks eccentric.

Each of the Mane Six stick out visually because they're so varied.

Lyra stuck out because of her posture.

Lyra and Bon Bon stuck out when together because they're almost always side by side.

Colgate stuck out because of her doctor's uniform in Luna Eclipsed.

Dr. Whooves stuck out because he looks a lot like The Doctor.

Fiddlesticks/Second Fiddle stuck out because she's an Octavia recolor with plenty of pizzazz.

You get the picture.

And I'm saying that should have been left to the imagination.

Since this is the fandom episode (and Vinyl and Tavi have very contrasting styles), this idea wouldn't work at all. Doing so risks killing the entire scene, and you wouldn't hear the score.

Like I said earlier, unwritten rules are made to be broken. ;)

Oh, remember when I mentioned Luna in the wedding, turns out Cadance is there too  :yay:

Character spoiler warning:

Steven Magnet is scheduled to appear, too.

Edited by Dark Qiviut

Watch the new teaser and tell me that with a straight face after that:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rhpvx58iq00

Why have a strsight face when you squee!

This is shaping up to be glorious event. :rarity:

I mean I do love the show except for the 100th episode though....BUT...I've got a One question for the MLP fandom: Will everything change after the 100th episode?

The show itself wouldn't have any reason to change. The show is about Friendship through the eyes of 10 characters. Mane Six, Spike, and the CMC.

I fully expect the characters featured here to go back to status quo. No reason to expect a fundamental change from a special episode dedicated to our love of the show. It's a thank you to us, not a mandate.

• Brohoof 1

Brass Band's bangs are similar to Trixie

This is really, really, really stretching it; I don't think that's a fair assertion at all.

(edited)

This is really, really, really stretching it; I don't think that's a fair assertion at all.

You have a point there, actually. My comment on her tail, though, stands.

Nonetheless, Brass Band still looks plain. Her design is plain, and she blends in with the stallions. Compared to Octavia, she really lacks the oomph visually. She doesn't have the attention for a reason.

Edited by Dark Qiviut

I think after 99 episodes, they're entitled to have one off-the-wall episode where they can let loose and have fun, creating a huge spectacle that is not meant to be taken too seriously and panders to the audience at the same time.  I'm sure that on the episodes after it, the status quo will be returned, and all of them will go back to being background ponies with the focus shifting back to the main characters.  Just let the writers have some fun for once, all right?

• Brohoof 5

I think after 99 episodes, they're entitled to have one off-the-wall episode where they can let loose and have fun, creating a huge spectacle that is not meant to be taken too seriously and panders to the audience at the same time.  I'm sure that on the episodes after it, the status quo will be returned, and all of them will go back to being background ponies with the focus shifting back to the main characters.  Just let the writers have some fun for once, all right?

Well said Time Shield. You're absolutely right!

I'm not too up to date with this episode's info, and I'm not excited for it all, but I've seen the teasers and my opinion is:

Is this gonna be a longer episode? There's all those characters, and the newest Octavia/VinylScratch trailer itself is 2 minutes long, and the first 2 teasers make like 3 minutes. Fans will expect more scenes with characters in it. I'm thinking it won't fit in a 22 minute long episode..

The Jump the Shark joke is pretty funny. (i'm assuming it's both a reference to the trope itself and a Happy Days reference parodying the scene that coined the phrase)

While I am not trying to bring anyone down and pour a bucket of ice water on the hype for the episode (and in the process derailing the hype train) I have some concerns to address and also to release some tension that I've been bottling up as of late.

Now when I first saw the synopsis and title for the 100th episode I thought I was going to be in for quite a treat with an episode to celebrate the accomplishments of the last five years and to look forward to the future of the show.

What I saw instead was the hype factor turned up way too high to the point that it has completely turned me off from watching the 100th episode altogether.

Now this has never happened to me before during the four years that I have been apart of the brony fandom and although I have had episodes that I didn't like (e.g. Power Ponies) and have simply put those behind me and moved on, I feel that the upcoming episode may end up having it's "jumping the shark" moment.

Now you can call me a traitor if you will and drag me through hot coals if you must, but I think in my honest opinion I think they are overhyping it a little too much. Now while I can tolerate some teaser material to get me in the mood, the teasers for the episode have been pretty much a little too loud and obnoxious for my tastes. Now I know I can easily mute the respective hashtag for the episode on Twitter, avoid the respective episode threads or even avoid EQD for a week, this is my main concern.

I don't want to get to the point where the episode gets overhyped to the point that viewers may end up switching off and avoiding the show altogether or in the worst case scenario the episode turns out to be a total and complete bust and pretty much starts the downfall of the show.

While I want to be excited about the episode, instead I have had some negative feelings towards it over the last couple of weeks due to this.

I also have some genuine concerns about the idea of a dual story and the sudden influx of background characters (fanservice overload) dominating the episode.

Honestly, I don't think this is a good idea. I rather have an episode based on a reflection style story with the Mane 6 + background ponies in a studio audience style talking about their time in Ponyville and also show some select highlights from seasons past. But that would cause some major splits in the fandom and pretty much start a huge fandom war.

To sum it up, I am not looking forward to episode 100. I'll try and watch it if I can but I am not guaranteeing anything positive or outstanding when it comes to my episode recap and review post.

• Brohoof 3

I think after 99 episodes, they're entitled to have one off-the-wall episode where they can let loose and have fun, creating a huge spectacle that is not meant to be taken too seriously and panders to the audience at the same time. I'm sure that on the episodes after it, the status quo will be returned, and all of them will go back to being background ponies with the focus shifting back to the main characters. Just let the writers have some fun for once, all right?

Agreed. That last sentence especially. You know, Larson loves interacting with us and seems to enjoy the cons quite a bit. He's heard thousands of requests over the years from fans. I keep picturing MA Larson sitting there smiling as he wrote the scenes thinking how much we are going to love this.

Anyone here that pays attention to my Pony centric posts will often see the phrase, 'collaborative function of art'. The philosophy behind that is to empower us as consumers to interpret beyond the original scope and intent of the piece. To take ownership of it and personalize it.

The background characters like Derpy and Octavia are embodiments of what I mean. Their scope was simple. We completed the picture. The show runners are reaffirming the power of our ingenuity and canonizing it. They are making real that unspoken promise of collaboration between artist and art consumer.

• Brohoof 2

(edited)

Will everything change after the 100th episode?

No. The show will good back go back the status by returning focus to the Mane 6, and some of the more notable secondary characters such as Spike and The CMCs. However Season 5 is still going to be placing more focus on some background characters as well, and we will see more of it as the season goes on.

This episode seems like it is going to be a one time thing, but it is nice the staff is willing to try something new for episode 100.

Edited by UnknownFry