Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

So...what is MLP to you?

WhiteGuardian

I'm very sorry if this has already been discussed.

So I've been thinking a lot lately. There have been times where I was on somewhat of a shallow hiatus from MLP as life takes it's turns and I occasionally drift from the show and the fandom, but I have noticed that every time I come back it's like greeting an old friend. I sometimes think that I have forgotten the joy and happiness of MLP but it returns just as strong as ever. It still means just as much to me as it ever did. 

So I got to thinking, what is it about MLP that means so much to me? Why is it such a big deal? I want to get personal with you guys and share some of the answers I have come up with. MLP genuinely makes me happy and full of joy. Perhaps like nothing else can. Well except for maybe one thing. I hope you don't mind me going in this direction, but I am a very religious person. And so to me, I think what makes MLP the most personal is that I feel like if you were to take the Gospel and turn it into a cartoon, it would be MLP. The values and morals it teaches are so heartwarming and hopeful. 

I get upset with a lot of the crap that is in the media these days and it is so nice to see something on TV for a change that is so good and pure and full of love. To me MLP is more than just a cartoon on television though. It really is a huge source of joy and hope in humanity. A beacon of light if you will forgive my cheesiness. What about you? What does the show mean to you? Feel free to share. :)

• Brohoof 5

To me these days it's just a show. It used to mean much more before, but I think getting into the show has done me more harm than good to be honest so I don't know what to say -_- I still enjoy it, just not as much as I used to....it sucks how life can just suck the fun out of things you used to love :(

• Brohoof 2

To me these days it's just a show. It used to mean much more before, but I think getting into the show has done me more harm than good to be honest so I don't know what to say -_- I still enjoy it, just not as much as I used to....it sucks how life can just suck the fun out of things you used to love :(

I actually kind of know what you mean. That has happened with other things for me in the past. It's always a little sad. I really hope that doesn't happen with this. I mean if it does oh well...but still. I wonder if maybe that's why I kind of naturally move away a little bit every once and awhile and then come back. Maybe it's my way of not running it into the ground. 

I feel the same way. When I find something new I just have to look in to it. :derp:  That moment of discovery is magical. When I first found the show I was imminently curious. This show is what made me draw and get good at it. To me it's a symbol of new creativity. I was so obsessed with the show, but now its just so-so. -_-  I sill love it, but it has lost it's magic. Not saying I hate the new season. I love it! :yay:  It just doesn't satisfy me.

• Brohoof 1

I'm very sorry if this has already been discussed.

So I've been thinking a lot lately. There have been times where I was on somewhat of a shallow hiatus from MLP as life takes it's turns and I occasionally drift from the show and the fandom, but I have noticed that every time I come back it's like greeting an old friend. I sometimes think that I have forgotten the joy and happiness of MLP but it returns just as strong as ever. It still means just as much to me as it ever did.

So I got to thinking, what is it about MLP that means so much to me? Why is it such a big deal? I want to get personal with you guys and share some of the answers I have come up with. MLP genuinely makes me happy and full of joy. Perhaps like nothing else can. Well except for maybe one thing. I hope you don't mind me going in this direction, but I am a very religious person. And so to me, I think what makes MLP the most personal is that I feel like if you were to take the Gospel and turn it into a cartoon, it would be MLP. The values and morals it teaches are so heartwarming and hopeful.

I get upset with a lot of the crap that is in the media these days and it is so nice to see something on TV for a change that is so good and pure and full of love. To me MLP is more than just a cartoon on television though. It really is a huge source of joy and hope in humanity. A beacon of light if you will forgive my cheesiness. What about you? What does the show mean to you? Feel free to share. :)

I moved this over to Sugarcube Corner since this topic focuses on personal connections to the show from fan perspectives.

• Brohoof 2

To me, MLP is the end result of every single aspect of an animation process executed with unparalleled excellence, fueled by sincere belief in its messages and strengths, by people who understand geek culture well enough to speak my language. The show comes from the best part of humanity, and so deserves a large viewership, and the respect of other shows out there.

• Brohoof 1

(edited)

MLP FIM to me is a way of letting my emotions out. I like to keep myself very much to myself and never share my feelings but i have got attached enough to MLP for it to really dig out what i keep inside. It just helps me get everything i have stored up out. Not just the show but the fandom too has helped me be more open with myself and others around me. To me it is the greatest show ever! :D

Edited by Repede
  • Brohoof 2

A really, REALLY good show that contains morals and lessons that I think everyone can learn from, as well as a positive atmosphere that is near unrivaled for a show of its type. Plus it has a fandom that I have a like/dislike relationship with.

• Brohoof 3

An awesome show to fantasize and obsess over. :fluttershy:

something that makes me feel better when I'm sad and gives me hope when I'm feeling lonely.

a show that brought me together with many great people.

MLP is the best cartoon ever to me. :yay:

• Brohoof 3

One of the greatest shows I've ever watched that came with a fantastic fandom too that changed my life for the better. MLP has been one of the greatest decisions I've ever made!

• Brohoof 2

For me, while it's yet another cartoon to watch since that I am watching more than just MLP:FiM, it is still a really good cartoon that I can't get enough of. I may not like it as much as in 2012, but it still does deserve all of the praise it has gotten.

• Brohoof 2

For about 3 years now it's been one of my biggest obsessions.  I've been introduced to other good cartoons through it, and it's allowed me to meet a lot of new people, online and in person.  It's also brought out a little bit of creativity in me, and made a hobby out of collecting the toys.  It is also the reason I can't let anyone else into my bedroom.

• Brohoof 2

I find it to be a warm, great show that I look forward to coming home after a long day at work to. All the characters are so lovable and beautiful looking, the community is kind and welcoming, the merchandise is expansive and fun. It's just an overall great experience for me. When I'm sad I'll often listen to mlp song playlists on youtube, the songs are so catchy and up-lifting.

• Brohoof 1

I think I agree that another huge part of the show for me is the fandom. So far from the comments already posted it's reinforcing to me that I am a part of a huge family that echo and agree with so much of my thoughts and feelings. It makes me feel connected with something amazing. :) it makes me love being a brony and everything that entails.

MLP:FIM introduced me to the woman I love.  In that sense, it will always be important to me.  Rainbow Dash has changed my life in many real and significant ways; she reignited something in me that I'd given up for lost.  Something that I didn't think I even wanted anymore.  Began to heal any number of hurts.  When something comes along that dramatically changes your perspective and brings you hope and happiness, you hold onto it with both hands.

• Brohoof 3

(edited)

Hope? I had lost the will to live a while ago, but ponies kept made me stand and fight again. The magic of discovery might be lost, but I still have a special place for FiM, for life probably

MLP:FIM introduced me to the woman I love.  In that sense, it will always be important to me.  Rainbow Dash has changed my life in many real and significant ways; she reignited something in me that I'd given up for lost.  Something that I didn't think I even wanted anymore.  Began to heal any number of hurts.  When something comes along that dramatically changes your perspective and brings you hope and happiness, you hold onto it with both hands.

Oh yeah, no matter if it ends, no matter if it lose it's spark, FiM changed us for the better, gave us something we though lost. We are at the same boat here bro  ;)

Edited by Steve Piranha
  • Brohoof 1

A huge fun entertainment and also a place full of joy and happiness, unlike a lot of other shows. The community is also quite lovely and happy :)

• Brohoof 2

To me the show is an escape.  I can watch it and be happy and not have to deal with anything that life throws at me.  It's an outstanding cartoon.

I love the sense of attachment the characters have.  They are very relatable (and extremely cute  :yay: ) and because of that the show makes real life a lot easier to handle with that extra sense of empathy.

The fandom also inspires me a lot.  The creativity everyone has is so enormous and it leads to always finding yourself occupied with ponies! 24/7 ponies! Who needs sleep?

• Brohoof 1

(edited)

Something I consider important for so many fans, myself included, as it brought together so many different types of people with various personalities and backgrounds to all like a single show that promotes friendship, tolerance and understanding. Eventually, these people were able to express themselves in ways that may not have been possible had the show not existed. The fans of the show have, whether it be through their music, artwork, fanfiction, or something else, showed their skill and creativity by using My Little Pony as the basis or medium for it. It's also great to know how the show became so popular that the fans were able to create meetups where hundreds of the fans could come together and make new friends and/or improve their social confidence. The social norm has also been challenged with the creation of this show and people's mindsets are now becoming more tolerant towards those who seem to enjoy activities outside of what is to be expected.

For me, this show really changed me in probably the most unusual ways, mainly because of all of the music made by the Bronies. SoGreatandPowerful stands out the most to me in that regard, but I could probably write an Essay about all of that for another time. When, I don't know.

I'm really glad a show like this was made, although I question whether or not the fact that the show was based on a Toy Line that started in the 1980s is important, as I wonder if the show could have been based on something else and be just as successful. 

Think about how different you would have been had the show never been created and there wasn't another thing that could replace it. How do you think you would be today? There are some who are casual fans of the show, but there are some who have had an important change in their life thanks to the show. I consider it amazing that a cartoon and the people responsible for making the show could have had such a wonderful impact on people.

Edited by LeonShi500
  • Brohoof 1

Well I can only speak for Season 1 and 2 because those reflect my strongest feelings towards the show.

1. It preserves that innocence and youth. You know that warm fuzzy feeling you get when you wake up on a Saturday and there's nothing you have to do? That's the feeling.

2. It doesn't try to be anything more than what it should be. A family oriented cartoon that is worthwhile to watch and does not get too political or serious.

3. No need to think too much. Lighthearted and fun.

4. Most importantly it made me laugh. The humor and comedy put forth in S1 and S2 let my spirit cleansed with laughter in a way that was healthy and relaxing.

• Brohoof 1

There's a lot that I like about the show, despite I only saw the first two seasons. I do need to catch up eventually, but from what I saw, it's a good show.

I liked the songs and writing so far, even if some of those episodes do have (albeit minor) flaws. The humour, as noticed above, shouldn't go unnoticed.

• Brohoof 1