Register now to remove this ad.
Lunaris Adamantine

Guide to Proper Reporting Etiquette

76 posts in this topic

Guide to Proper Reporting Ettiquette.
A Guide on How You Can Help to Keep MLP Forums Clean

Keeping the forums looking good, spamless, properly organized and most importantly, free of NSFW content, requires a great deal of time and attention from us moderators. However, with 18,508 posts per week, it is impossible for us to spot every single infraction of the rules.

This is precisely why we have a report button located on each profile, and every post, so members can inform us when they come across something that is against the forums rules. However, some users tend to use the system improperly, sometimes making pointless reports, or in many cases, not reporting something at all that is deserving of removal.

Because of this we have created the Proper Reporting Etiquette Guide - A reference on How to Help Keep MLP Forums Clean. Below is a list of what to report, how to report, when to report, when not to report, and how to make a mods life easier.

How to Report?

There is a report button located at the bottom-right of each and every post and likewise with all member profiles. In the spoiler is a pair of images pointing out each where you can find the report buttons. From there, easy-to-follow instructions are given.

Another note; when reporting a member or post, just report and walk away. if you make a response to their post, that's another message we are likely going to remove. Especially if you quote them, cause why would we want the quote to remain if we removed the post itself, eh?

What to report?
  • Spam posts/threads: This one is pretty obvious. If a user is posting pointlessly, either to get out of Blank Flank status or to be a nuisance or whatever reason they can try to justify it with, report. Report each post you find, and simply type the word "Spam" in the report somewhere. We will understand as soon as we see that word. Also a good idea to report the users profile, so we will know to keep an eye on them.

• Off topics posts: If there is a thread about cheesecake, and you see someone posted a comment referring to balloon animals, report it. Nothing more annoying than someone changing your topic to something completely irrelevant from the original intent.

• Pointless Posts/threads: Someone comes waltzing in and simply says "cool" or "lulz" really doesn't add anything to a topic. These sorts of things tend to be just clutter that we don't need. Also, posts with a word that stretches beyond the given chat box is something I see a lot of, and it is annoying when it causes a sideways scroll bar at the bottom of the browser. Another thing, a topic created where someone is simply asking simple questions like "What game should I play now?" "When is the next MLP gonna be on?" or anything else status-update worthy, should be reported so we can remove them swiftly.

• Duplicate Threads: A new thread has popped up, and you happen to know there is one covering that topic already? Go ahead and report, and please be kind enough to include a link to the former thread. So much easier for us mods to click a link rather than search for a thread and hope it appears at the top of the list.

• Offensive Posts/topics: This one is pretty self explanatory. If you are personally offended by somepony, report and we shall investigate. Anything the is racist, sexist, offending any particular religion, or containing a massive amount of swearing, should be reported. Keep in mind rule #1; Tolerate and Love everypony!

• Non-English posts/threads: Not saying that other languages are at all offensive to any mods here, but we cannot moderate something that we cannot read. You could be talking about ponies. But you could also be talking about killing a baby seal with a baseball bat. We don't know. We don't care. All we know is that we don't understand, therefore it should be removed. All you need to do is report, and it will be done. Another thing to add here; TH15 15 N0T 3N9L15H (This is not English), and should be reported as such.

• NSFW/Rule34: This one is obvious, but should be pointed out anyways. This is a family-friendly website with some very young members, some not even reaching their teens yet. So, please imagine you are a father, and every other member on the forums is your 4 year old daughter. You wouldn't want her to see sexually active ponies, now would you?

• Advertisements: This is one thing members unanimously ignore, not even the slightest bit exaggeration to be found here. I have taken out countless advertisements, and not one of them was reported by a member beforehand. All advertisements should be reported, so they may quickly be dealt with. There is one small exception here, as members are allowed to advertise but only with permission given from a member of the MLP Forums staff. If they exclaim they have permission, report anyways, and if the post is removed, they lied and will get extra anti-brownie points. (If something is already approved, it should be made obvious to all)

Advertising includes the following:
    • Promoting a website. including YouTube channels and DeviantArt pages. Posting a video or one piece of art to share is alright, but posting the actual channel and saying "Go look at my stuff" is not showing off art, but just begging for more views. If someone likes it and decides to view your other videos, that's fine. But don't go fishing for views, likes and subscribers.

• Selling merchandise. See a link to Ebay, or anything similar, Whatchu gonna do? Report it! Someone says the word "Commission," Whatchu gonna do? Report it! User trying to sell a piece of artwork, Whatchu gonna do? Report it! Member walks in, asking for donations, Whatchu gonna do? Report it! (If you read that with the Ghostbusters theme playing in your head, good job)

• Misplaced Threads: Many times a thread is placed into the wrong section, and we must move it to a more appropriate location to maximize organization. However, sometimes a report is made requesting a thread be moved to a proper location... when it is already in it's proper location. Here is a guide containing what belongs in each section as a reference:http://mlpforums.com...-posting-guide/

• Trollish Behavior: If it is possible that a new member might possibly be a troll, go ahead and report them. We shall keep our eyes on them, and watch their posts quite fiercely and if they do turn out to be a troll, they will be dealt with accordingly.

• Your own thread: That's right! If you need your own thread to be merged, moved, deleted or possibly just covered in Alfredo sauce (Yes, we have an Alfredo cannon that we use on rare occasions) Simply report, and if your request is reasonable, it will be done.

For reports regarding RP World, please refer to Nico's guide within the Roleplay forum. He so rudely stole my idea and decided to implement it first to make me look bad.

When not to report.

We are basically going to leave this at your discretion. If you are slightly unsure whether something is worth reporting, do it anyways. A few unnecessary reports do not slow us down much, and sweeping them under the carpet only takes two clicks.

Also, If at all you feel uncomfortable reporting something, then please don't. And don't think you need to explore the forums in search for rule-breaking posts. Just report as you stumble across them. We aren't expecting you to make this a second job like those of us who were unfortunately forced asked to become staff members.

Now to (winter) wrap things up, these forums have become a thriving community, with members all across the world and we continue to gain many new members every day, it is difficult for us mods to watch everything that happens. So we ask that you keep these guidelines in mind as you explore the forums, and if you see anything found within this post, or anything that breaks any unmentioned board rules, report like crazy, and it shall be taken care of.

Edited by Klopp
Formatting
43 people brohoof this

What if we enjoy helping around the forums and like using treating it like a job, while still being involved and active in the community? :3

This is, essentially what I do. I have one page in on eplace and another one where i actually post responses and kind of multi task. Is it considered backseat moding if i'm look for posts that don't belong and should be reported?

What if we enjoy helping around the forums and like using treating it like a job, while still being involved and active in the community? :3

This is, essentially what I do. I have one page in on eplace and another one where i actually post responses and kind of multi task. Is it considered backseat moding if i'm look for posts that don't belong and should be reported?

It's only backseat modding if you attempt to take things into your own hands. Reporting a lot is not a problem, provided you do not make an extreme amount of pointless reports. Provided you report and walk away, everything will be good :D

And yes, we all know that is essentially what you do >.> **glares**

Edited by Klopp
5 people brohoof this

And yes, we all know that is essentially what you do >.> **glares**

Is this a bad thing? D: **immediately stops multitasking and just focuses on being involved with the community**

Is this a bad thing? D: **immediately stops multitasking and just focuses on being involved with the community**

Naw, it's not a bad thing. If it were, you'd have known about it long ago ;)

4 people brohoof this

Naw, it's not a bad thing. If it were, you'd have known about it long ago ;)

Good, because i enjoy knowing i'm helping as much as I enjoy being involved with the community. :)

Anyways, this is going to be very useful to me and hopefully it encourages others to report often as well! I hope this puts the forums into a much easier state to moderate it for all of you guys!

1 person brohoofs this

It has happend a few times for me that I don't know if I should report a post or not. But now I know exactly what I should report. Thanks.

Yay it's a like we're members of a Neighborhood Watch only without the cool orange vests.

Now I want Klopp to make a guide how to properly report news since journalism is so corrupt today with the rise of social media.

2 people brohoof this

...So, in a way, we're all like moderators. Wonderful. We'll do our best, Klopp

1 person brohoofs this

or possibly just covered in Alfredo sauce (Yes, we have an Alfredo cannon that we use on rare occasions)

Posted Image hahaha!! On a more related note, what if the topic of conversation in the thread has evolved into something else that's still semi-related? Edited by Dusk Moon
1 person brohoofs this

hahaha!! On a more related note, what if the topic of conversation in the thread has evolved into something else that's still semi-related?

It should be pretty easy to determine if it's still worthy of discussion by comparing what is said to the topic title.

For example; if the Season 2 finale discussion thread turned into chatter about Princess Cadance's wedding dress, it wouldn't really be a big problem, as Cadances wedding dress is in the episode. However if it transcended to what people thought she might wear in future episodes, then it would become off topic.

Of course, what is and is not accepted as being "Off Topic" is defined by each mod individually, so others likely have a different opinion than I do. Not to mention under rare circumstances it can be a pretty blurred line between what applies to the topic and what does not. In any case if you are at all unsure, just go ahead an report it. After that you don't need to worry about it, one of us mods will make the final decision on the matter ;) (And sometimes we will have a lengthy discussion about it because our opinions are drastically different, but one of us will provide infallible evidence to support their own thoughts. This has happened before, and definitely will happen again :P )

1 person brohoofs this

On the advertisements, do if we are doing a art work and we want to advertise our DA account, we have to ask moderators for permission before hand?

On the advertisements, do if we are doing a art work and we want to advertise our DA account, we have to ask moderators for permission before hand?

You are free to link to your individual piece's page on deviantART. What you may not do is tell people to go and browse through your deviantART account (we've had a few members join and start topics with one art piece and "if you like this, check out everything else on my deviantART account: [link]"). If people like what they see, they'll browse through your dA account themselves.

1 person brohoofs this

And here's Feld to make me ashamed to post anything useful on this thread.

What Feld's saying here is a twist off a site advert, group advert. This one is explained in the BoardRules. Or as I like to call it, the-

Posted Image

Edited by frenzyhero

The OP might need to be updated...it still says that there are members who are not even in their teens yet, and that scenario is used to illustrate the need to watch what we say.

Klopp Wonka, I have read your guide to reporting etiquette, and you have my word, as a guardian of the night and muffins, to vigilantly be on the lookout for posts worthy of reporting!!! Also, you and the rest of the forum staff have my thanks for once again showing how much you all care about keeping this forum an orderly and civil place for everypony!!! You guys rule, and I salute thee!!! B)

Posted Image

4 people brohoof this

But wait I've seen in real life scenarios when one person thinks to people are arguing when they are really just having a friendly conversation, What do we do then?

1 person brohoofs this

Most events are covered, but i haven't figured out about what to do if the same post has been posted twice in the same thread? Should i take it as spam?

Most events are covered, but i haven't figured out about what to do if the same post has been posted twice in the same thread? Should i take it as spam?

(Not trying to tell you what to do because I'm not a mod. I'm just trying to help~!) 

So, I don't think you should count it as spam unless the user posts it more than twice. Or makes it clear that they're spamming. Again, I'm not a mod or anything, but it should be kind of obvious I think to tell if it was just an accident that the user posted multiple times, or if it's just spam. Usually if I click the "post" button twice by accident, I delete the second post soon after. So, I guess, sometimes it's spam, sometimes it isn't, but unless it's clear that it's not spam, report it because they said you should report it if you're unsure...

Hope that helped...

1 person brohoofs this

(Not trying to tell you what to do because I'm not a mod. I'm just trying to help~!) 

So, I don't think you should count it as spam unless the user posts it more than twice. Or makes it clear that they're spamming. Again, I'm not a mod or anything, but it should be kind of obvious I think to tell if it was just an accident that the user posted multiple times, or if it's just spam. Usually if I click the "post" button twice by accident, I delete the second post soon after. So, I guess, sometimes it's spam, sometimes it isn't, but unless it's clear that it's not spam, report it because they said you should report it if you're unsure...

Hope that helped...

Usually the reason the same exact post is posted twice or more is due to a glitch, and not ill-intent on behalf of the user in question. Usually has to do with internet connection and the site interacting together, and the browser being used as well, sometimes.

If you actually click the Report button on a post, you'll see that we've installed a pop-down menu for preset offenses, for everyone's convenience. 'Duplicate Content' is one of those options. That would be what you use for a duplicate post.

1 person brohoofs this

Usually the reason the same exact post is posted twice or more is due to a glitch, and not ill-intent on behalf of the user in question. Usually has to do with internet connection and the site interacting together, and the browser being used as well, sometimes.

If you actually click the Report button on a post, you'll see that we've installed a pop-down menu for preset offenses, for everyone's convenience. 'Duplicate Content' is one of those options. That would be what you use for a duplicate post.

Wait, I thought "Duplicate content" is for a thread that's about something that's already been discussed. Or can it be for both?

Wait, I thought "Duplicate content" is for a thread that's about something that's already been discussed. Or can it be for both?

Duplicate content is duplicate content. If you're reporting a thread that's a duplicate of another thread, then that's great. If you're reporting an individual post for being a duplicate, that's fine too. There's no point in differentiating duplications, it'd just make things confusing. Set the preset for 'duplicate content', then maybe in the text box say something like 'duplicate post' if it's a post, or if it's a duplicate thread, say 'duplicate thread' and provide a link to the original thread.

Edited by ~Chaotic Discord~

There we go, now this one is fixed as well. :3

Happy reportings, everyone!

1 person brohoofs this

Say you post a peice of art work and somepony asks for a deviant art or furaffinity page. Or you are wanting to practice and you want to take commisions for free? Is that okay?