Did you like it?  

464 members have voted

1. 1. Did you like it?

• No, I hated it! >:(
    • I didn't like it.
    • Meh. It was okay.
    • I liked it!
    • I LOVED IT! <3

I died of happiness. So many references. Granted, I didn't know too much about the fandom at the time (I had been bingeing on all the episodes when I joined the herd in August 2015), so Derpy talking wasn't a particularly big deal.

Likewise, I binge-watched the entire show in august/september 2015 and didn't read into any of the meme's, fanfictions or other stuff at the time. Thought it was a funny episode, until a little later I started watching ACRaceBest's Bronies React video's. That threw me into the rabbit-hole that is this fandom which in turn made me realise how important this episode was to the fandom and what it *actually* was all about. I love looking up react-video's to this episode to see how this impacted bronies all around the globe, now knowing what all the references and memes were about, and how nearly every reactor completely shuts up during Gummy's monologue. :love:

Edited by Bubs
  • Brohoof 1

I appreciate this episode a lot for doing more than just regurgitating fandom memes and calling it a day. Several popular pieces of fanon are ignored or subverted here, most noticeably Doctor Whooves as The Doctor and Lyra's human obsession. Instead, we got Secret Agent Sweetie Drops and Doctor Whooves as Doc Brown, and a whole lot of other creative and subtle touches. The episode is so fast-paced and over-the-top that it's surreal even to those who understand the references, and because of that it's easy to miss subtle touches like the mutual respect between Vinyl Scratch and Octavia. Their collaborative process demonstrates a basic appreciation for each other's music which I enjoy a lot. And then there's the final wedding scene, which is loaded with stuff we need way more of, especially Shining and Cadance snuggling as well as Luna and Celestia just having a sisterly argument. When are we getting a Celestia/Luna slice-of-life episode, DHX? It's all I ask for! 

• Brohoof 1

I appreciate this episode a lot for doing more than just regurgitating fandom memes and calling it a day. Several popular pieces of fanon are ignored or subverted here, most noticeably Doctor Whooves as The Doctor and Lyra's human obsession. Instead, we got Secret Agent Sweetie Drops and Doctor Whooves as Doc Brown, and a whole lot of other creative and subtle touches. The episode is so fast-paced and over-the-top that it's surreal even to those who understand the references, and because of that it's easy to miss subtle touches like the mutual respect between Vinyl Scratch and Octavia. Their collaborative process demonstrates a basic appreciation for each other's music which I enjoy a lot. And then there's the final wedding scene, which is loaded with stuff we need way more of, especially Shining and Cadance snuggling as well as Luna and Celestia just having a sisterly argument. When are we getting a Celestia/Luna slice-of-life episode, DHX? It's all I ask for! 

You're not the only one who wants an episode just to the Royal Sisters. I want one as much as all those Celestia and Luna fans out there in the Brony Community.

• Brohoof 1

Above all I would like a Celestia-centered episode. And I say this when Luna is my waifu and best pony: she's had quite some episodes where she had at least an important role and at least 2 episodes centered around her, where Celestia nearly never really had any role of significance or backstory. I was saddened when I read that Larson had written some backstory for her in Amending Fences, but it had been axed due to time limits of the episode.

Because of this I particularly liked the comic where Celestia goes on an adventure with Spike alone. Maybe a story similar to that might work in the show as well. Here's hoping for season 7 to right this wrong.

Above all I would like a Celestia-centered episode. And I say this when Luna is my waifu and best pony: she's had quite some episodes where she had at least an important role and at least 2 episodes centered around her, where Celestia nearly never really had any role of significance or backstory. I was saddened when I read that Larson had written some backstory for her in Amending Fences, but it had been axed due to time limits of the episode.

Because of this I particularly liked the comic where Celestia goes on an adventure with Spike alone. Maybe a story similar to that might work in the show as well. Here's hoping for season 7 to right this wrong.

Yeah, same here. Let's hope Celestia gets an episode to herself in Season 7, or one with either Luna, or the rest of the Royal Family along with her.

Gags in this which only work in the context of the fandom or pop culture:

1. Flower sisters
  2. Twicane
  3. Horse mask freeze frame
  4. "Allons-y"
  5. Maybe a couple background/character design aspects. 

And that's it, far as I can tell. Lot of other stuff obviously derived from the fandom, but there's always a self-contained joke behind it. Steven Magnet? Joke is that Matilda never knew he was a sea monster. The Doctor? Wide variety of jokes, several of which have nothing to do with Doctor Who, as far as I know. Sweetie Drops? Entire joke is that nobody expected her to be a secret agent, least of all her best friend. And of course that she and Lyra make a particularly big deal about their friendship. Methinks it's a bit more than that. Sure, the Vinyl/Octavia thing probably doesn't have a lot of original thought gone into it, but a giant turntable/speaker vehicle is a pretty amusing and novel idea on its own, and the episode nails their chemistry. 

The episode's awfully ill-disciplined though, hopping to a new character every few minutes and generally not hiding its roots in the fandom. I'm not sure it has quite the same organic feel as an episode like "Rarity Investigates!," but its manic flow is one of the things I find so exciting about it. It's just a nonstop barrage of clever gags without a single care for anything else. That some of its characters are genuinely memorable seems almost incidental. One thing which stood out to me is the time travel aspect early on, which is built up just to drop off unceremoniously. Despite allegedly being mandated, or maybe even because of that, it feels completely unrestrained, and I think that's a testament both to the unruly structure of the episode and to the genuinely well-crafted jokes.

And then there's Shining Armour crying at weddings, and then there's the sisterly banter between Celestia and Luna (best part of the episode IMO), and then there's the fact that it even has a nice moral at the end. There's so many strong ideas here that really overcome their basis in the hardcore fanbase, and while I think Larson could be hit-or-miss sometimes, this episode is a real testament to his skill. A lot of people like this episode, and yet I don't think it gets enough credit for being more than just "the fan service episode." 

Score:

Entertainment: 9/10

Characters: 8/10

Themes: 8/10

Story: 8/10

Overall: 83/100

Edited by AlexanderThrond
  • Brohoof 2

I LOVED this episode! My only complaint is that 22 minutes was simply not enough for everything it had. I've always loved it when side/background characters get some attention for a change and this episode, being almost nothing but that, became an instant favorite. I haven't watched too many episodes over the last few months but this is one I definitely keep going back to.

This Episode was half cringeworthy, half good. I liked the references but i thought some of it was just laughable, but all in all, i was still pretty interested, so i liked it.

I honestly don't see why anyone would hate this episode. In my opinion, I love episodes like this that appreciate the background characters and the troubles they go through every day. Everyponys personality traits showed through this episode I think would help the fandom instead of destroy it as said in past comments. Getting to know other ponies besides the mane 6, which at least one of them is in almost every episode, will give you the experience to know who the weird pony was who dropped those boxes on some pony else in the first few episodes.

I don't know about anypony else, but I particularly love this episode. Maybe I'm just weird. :derp: