Did you like it?  

489 users have voted

1. 1. Did you like it?

• No, I hated it! >:(
    • I didn't like it.
    • Meh. It was okay.
    • I liked it!
    • I LOVED IT! <3

Its amazing how Derpy started as an unnamed background pony with an animator giving a simple mistake. And now everypony loves derpy.  

That's one thing I love about this fandom, we can take even the most minor, insignificant thing, and make it a huge part of the experience  :D

• Brohoof 1

I liked this episode. It had a lot of fan service, but that's the point. Even if I didn't know any of these characters, this episode would still be entertaining for me. I thought it was a funny and lighthearted episode.

It was cool to see Matilda and Cranky again, especially getting married. Continuity. ;)

I loved seeing some other characters back (Steven Magnet, Zecora, Big Mac and Cheerilee (standing next to each other!) The Mayor, Cadance, and Shining Armor)

The Agent Sweetie Drops is very interesting. It makes a lot of sense, when you think about it. I think I might prefer Bon Bon over Lyra now. ;p

Vinyl didn't talk, as expected. I think the show is gonna roll with the whole mute thing, and that's fine.

Good episode in my book. :)

• Brohoof 2

(edited)

I really liked this episode, a lot of people have given it stick for being, plotless, pandering and pure fan service.  I don't see those as being bad things, this episode was pure character development, and it was a lot of fun to watch.  Yes, it was blatant fan service but I think it's a good thing that they chose to make this landmark episode a tip of the hat to us, 'the other fans' of MLP.

Derpy was of course brilliant, I love her even more now than I did before.  The Doctor was hilarious, and it was good to see other fan favourites like Octavia, Lyra, Bonbon and Vinyl getting a bit of airtime.  We even got to see Steven Magnet again, and not least Jelly Pony appearing again after his blink and you'll miss it role in 'one bad apple'.

Aside from Derpy though, I think the character that really stole the show was Gummy with his thought-provoking monologue, so random, and so funny.

Edited by Concerned Bystander
  • Brohoof 2

Maybe I'm one of the few, but this had to have been one of the best if not the best episode in the entire series. It was too hilarious not to be.

• Brohoof 1

I'll admit there was so many surprises and nods to the fandom that it was hard to keep track of when I first watched it.

Upon rewatching it, I can safely say it's one of the most briiliant episodes I've ever watched I love how each of the subplots dovetail to each other. I also love seeing how a typical day of ponyville is like from the perspective of the everyday citizens. While it's a shame we didn't get to see how the Bugbee plot was resolved, I think that was the entire point since the plot was about the wedding, not the monster attack.It was also smart to solve the overall plot while leaving room for other potential plots. I definitely think it's one of the best episodes ever!  :wub:  :wub:

Side notes:

• I also rewatched A Friend in Deed, I noticed how he said "I made a lot of friends during my travels." I have no idea if this was planned all this time or they took advantage of how vague that statement, either way it's nice how certain small elements of the show end up being huge later on.
  • I noticed how the Twicane was held by one of the background ponies (forgot her name). Did she get that from Discord himself or was it just a manufactured copy, just like the Discord lamps from Trade Ya?

I cant help but feel this was a epsisode for the older fans. the parody with the big lebowski was truly a crazy addition..

Im thinking that this particular episode didnt fit with the traditonal story line "ponies find friendship problem work together and solve it learn lesson happy ending" because

1. Its the 100th episode and it was a new angle, mainly to celebrate the it's fanbase diversity.. but thats just my point of veiw.

2.It was a break from the routine and just go silly with a very satisfying ending.

this episode was amazing :P

two hooves up ;)

• Brohoof 1

I just joined the herd not to long ago, so when I saw the episode the first time I was a little confused, I loved that derpy talked. After the episode I researched all the ponies and now I love the episode because I get it and now because I watch these episode I understand the fan base much more.

• Brohoof 1

I just joined the herd not to long ago, so when I saw the episode the first time I was a little confused, I loved that derpy talked. After the episode I researched all the ponies and now I love the episode because I get it and now because I watch these episode I understand the fan base much more.

Pretty much. I've been a fan for a while so it was an epic adventure for me. Basically, you just have to picture having wanted this episode for like 3-5 years and then finally....you have it.   :yay:

THEY AREN'T "JUST FRIENDS" LOOK AT HOW THEY STARE AT EACH OTHER! THEY ARE A COUPLE!!sig-3916285.916118__safe_meme_lyra_bedro

Arguments against it:

1. Obviously there's the fact that they refer to each other as friends several times.  However, some see this as just being coy so that they don't draw attention to it.  That leads into my second point.
  2. They were alone in that scene.  What is the purpose of being coy and calling each other just "friends"?  But even accepting that that's how they would normally act to each other, that leads into my third point.
  3. The scene was calling into question their friendship.  Lyra was being faced with the possibility that it was all a lie, which is a seriously emotional moment.  Yet, she still calls it a "friendship" herself instead of a more appropriate word like "relationship".  There's even less reason for her to be coy in a situation like that.  This also relates to my fourth point.
  4. Along the same lines, BonBon/Sweetie Drops reassures her by saying, "You're my very best friend".  That's the equivalent of saying, "I don't love you, but we can still be friends."  I don't know about the rest of you, but if I had serious questions over whether or not my wife/girlfriend actually loved me, having them reassure me by saying that would make me more upset, not reassured, and definitely would not result in the picture we see above.
  5. Has no one ever actually had a close friend before?  I've known many friends who hug and act close to each other, and I can guarantee you in all situations involved that they were not in a romantic relationship.  What you see in the above picture is nothing out of the ordinary between friends who are close to each other.  I feel bad for anyone who suggests that you can't be that close without being romantically involved.
  • Brohoof 1

Yeah, because lore is important. If the show isn't consistent, I have a hard time enjoying it.

You'll sure hate a bunch of shows form late 80's to early 90's then :D

(edited)

For those of you who were upset by Derpy accidentally locking the Mane 6 out of the wedding, here's a short but sweet video that I made which helps point out a rather subtle lesson that the scene with the Mane 6 watching through the window doesn't come out and preach itself:

Isn't it beautiful?  :rarity: (By the way, you CAN turn the annotations on and off!)

Oh, yeah, and I dedicate this songfic, which I wrote myself, of course, to this 100th episode of MLP: FIM:

http://rkerekes13.deviantart.com/art/When-I-Grow-Too-Old-To-Dream-Songfic-540698352

Hope y'all like it!  ^_^

Edited by BlueEyedPegasus

Arguments against it:

1. Obviously there's the fact that they refer to each other as friends several times.  However, some see this as just being coy so that they don't draw attention to it.  That leads into my second point.
  2. They were alone in that scene.  What is the purpose of being coy and calling each other just "friends"?  But even accepting that that's how they would normally act to each other, that leads into my third point.
  3. The scene was calling into question their friendship.  Lyra was being faced with the possibility that it was all a lie, which is a seriously emotional moment.  Yet, she still calls it a "friendship" herself instead of a more appropriate word like "relationship".  There's even less reason for her to be coy in a situation like that.  This also relates to my fourth point.
  4. Along the same lines, BonBon/Sweetie Drops reassures her by saying, "You're my very best friend".  That's the equivalent of saying, "I don't love you, but we can still be friends."  I don't know about the rest of you, but if I had serious questions over whether or not my wife/girlfriend actually loved me, having them reassure me by saying that would make me more upset, not reassured, and definitely would not result in the picture we see above.
  5. Has no one ever actually had a close friend before?  I've known many friends who hug and act close to each other, and I can guarantee you in all situations involved that they were not in a romantic relationship.  What you see in the above picture is nothing out of the ordinary between friends who are close to each other.  I feel bad for anyone who suggests that you can't be that close without being romantically involved.

In this case I think it's important to consider the writers, and not just the characters. It would've been very unwise to canonically make Lyra and Bon Bon a couple, both because of some of the controversy about homosexuality and "exposing" it to children, and because of the differing opinions in the fandom. In an episode made as a tribute to the fans, it's best to allow for multiple interpretations so as not to step on too many headcanons.

Thus, "being coy" may not be realistic on the part of the ponies themselves, but it was the farthest the writers and animators could have gone without further destroying the fandom.

It was left ambiguous for a reason. Certainly a romantic relationship can be inferred, especially considering the sheer amount of fan service in this episode and the popularity of the Lyra/Bon Bon shipping throughout the fandom. A romantic relationship between the two was heavily hinted at, but it's not canon, and I'm under the assumption that this scene was included for the purpose of winking to the shippers without ignoring those who don't like the shipping.

TL;DR: Both interpretations are valid.

• Brohoof 1

MAJOR UPDATE: I created a video last night which not only pays tribute to this episode, but also to a good friend of mine who passed away this year:

(sings) And when I grow too old to dream

Your love will live in my heart!  :rarity:

Arguments against it:

1. Since your first point and second are exactly the same, I'll address them simultaneously. There's no real reason to do that, but then again, most people just calling each other 'friends' don't make that sort of expression at each other. It's a very obvious flirtatious expression. You've never seen the Mane Six do it to each other, have you? The wink wink nudge nudge was likely more directed toward the audience rather than for realism within the scene itself.
  2. Ties into my first point.
  3. What? That is not equivalent to saying "I don't love you". Where do you get that idea from? Would your wife/girlfriend not be your best friend? Speaking as someone currently in a relationship, we both think of our relationship like we're best friends in addition to feeling like cuddling up and smooching and having exclusivity in our relationship. It's a best friend with additional things we wouldn't do with other best friends.
  4. Cuddling? Not out of the ordinary. Touching the face? Questionable. Making suggestive eyes? Very questionable. I have several close friends and I never touch their face or do anything that would be considered flirtatious. We hug sometimes, and we spend a lot of time together, and we say how great of time we spent together, but there's just a degree of touchy-feeliness that isn't reached with them that is with my girlfriend.

Yes, they are canonically 'just friends', but it's very clear that this was a fandom nod to the fact that people speculate them being in a relationship, and people speculating based on that scene is exactly what the writers wanted. The animation was absolutely deliberate, and the tone in which they spoke (which was also rather suggestive) was also deliberate.

• Brohoof 1

1. Since your first point and second are exactly the same, I'll address them simultaneously. There's no real reason to do that, but then again, most people just calling each other 'friends' don't make that sort of expression at each other. It's a very obvious flirtatious expression. You've never seen the Mane Six do it to each other, have you? The wink wink nudge nudge was likely more directed toward the audience rather than for realism within the scene itself.
  2. Ties into my first point.
  3. What? That is not equivalent to saying "I don't love you". Where do you get that idea from? Would your wife/girlfriend not be your best friend? Speaking as someone currently in a relationship, we both think of our relationship like we're best friends in addition to feeling like cuddling up and smooching and having exclusivity in our relationship. It's a best friend with additional things we wouldn't do with other best friends.
  4. Cuddling? Not out of the ordinary. Touching the face? Questionable. Making suggestive eyes? Very questionable. I have several close friends and I never touch their face or do anything that would be considered flirtatious. We hug sometimes, and we spend a lot of time together, and we say how great of time we spent together, but there's just a degree of touchy-feeliness that isn't reached with them that is with my girlfriend.

Yes, they are canonically 'just friends', but it's very clear that this was a fandom nod to the fact that people speculate them being in a relationship, and people speculating based on that scene is exactly what the writers wanted. The animation was absolutely deliberate, and the tone in which they spoke (which was also rather suggestive) was also deliberate.

I'll address 1, 2 and 4 together: Have you seen the expressions on this show?  There are dozens of times similar expressions are used between many different characters.  It's just the way the art style looks.  Otherwise you have to take every other expression to mean the same thing, and if you don't, then your argument becomes invalid.

And yes, about 3, that is the equivalent of saying, "We can still be friends" in the context you're choosing to see in it.  And yes, absolutely if I thought my wife didn't actually love me, and she came back saying, "You're my very best friend" instead of "Of course I love you", I wouldn't react the way Lyra did.

I'll address 1, 2 and 4 together: Have you seen the expressions on this show?  There are dozens of times similar expressions are used between many different characters.  It's just the way the art style looks.  Otherwise you have to take every other expression to mean the same thing, and if you don't, then your argument becomes invalid.

And yes, about 3, that is the equivalent of saying, "We can still be friends" in the context you're choosing to see in it.  And yes, absolutely if I thought my wife didn't actually love me, and she came back saying, "You're my very best friend" instead of "Of course I love you", I wouldn't react the way Lyra did.

I have seen the expressions on this show and no, many of them are not like that coupled with the tone of voice that I mentioned and you glossed over.

But this isn't about you, or your wife,- hell, it wasn't even what Lyra asked. She asked if everything was a lie, and Bon Bon (or Sweetie Drops in this case) said no, it wasn't. It's a different kind of context.

And it wasn't "We can still be friends" or "We're just friends", it was reassuring Lyra that their friendship wasn't made up. For someone who is accusing others of reading too much into the scene you sure are convinced of seeing it as rejection despite the fact it couldn't be farther from it.

I have seen the expressions on this show and no, many of them are not like that coupled with the tone of voice that I mentioned and you glossed over.

But this isn't about you, or your wife,- hell, it wasn't even what Lyra asked. She asked if everything was a lie, and Bon Bon (or Sweetie Drops in this case) said no, it wasn't. It's a different kind of context.

And it wasn't "We can still be friends" or "We're just friends", it was reassuring Lyra that their friendship wasn't made up. For someone who is accusing others of reading too much into the scene you sure are convinced of seeing it as rejection despite the fact it couldn't be farther from it.

No, my point is that it wasn't a rejection.  It was reaffirming their friendship.  And that's it.  My point was that if it was meant to reaffirm anything but their friendship, it would have been a rejection.  But since it wasn't a rejection, it means they were just friends from the start.

*requote*

By the way, I really don't feel like digging through the show and showing you every example, but if you want one quick example of expression and voice, Cadence does it in "Three's a Crowd" after she arrives, when she says, "Knowing you, you've made some plans."  She says this in a sly tone of voice coupled with the same expression we've been discussing.  We know that the two of them have been best friends for a long time, and I reiterate, this kind of expression is perfectly normal among best friends.