Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Time Manipulation

Dsanders

(edited)

You can only choose one of the following abilities: freezing time, reversing time, or speeding up the passage of time. Which one of these would you choose and why? I'm not talking about time travel. I'm talking about time manipulation.

PS: Terminologically, there is a difference between time manipulation and time travelYou don't teleport from one dimension of time to another for example. With time manipulation, you're controlling the flow of time around you―the motion of all the matter in the universe―by either accelerating the rate of motion, reversing it, or halting it completely. 

Edited by Dsanders
  • Brohoof 5

If I could go back in time knowing what I know now, it would have made things a lot easier for me.  I could fix mistakes that I made and make things better.

• Brohoof 3

Reversing time would be nice so I can change the outcome of things I knew would happen. It could be very helpful if you make a mistake or something happens that you really didn't want to. 

• Brohoof 3

(edited)

Do i still get to move around while freezing time? I could really use the extra hours it could bring me

Of course you can. You're completely unaffected when you use any of the aforementioned abilities.

If I could go back in time knowing what I know now, it would have made things a lot easier for me.  I could fix mistakes that I made and make things better.

Well, let's make things clear. Terminologically, there is a difference between time manipulation and time travel. Reversing time is not necessarily the same as going back in time. You don't teleport from one dimension of time to another for example. Reversing time means you'd get to see the motion of matter around you move in reverse. Like rewinding a movie. You're still "traveling" through time one way or another, but not spatially. 

Just want to clear that up.

Edited by Dsanders
  • Brohoof 2

Freezing time at will so I can sit back and relax a bit if I am in the middle of doing something really stressful.

• Brohoof 2

Of course you can. You're completely unaffected when you use any of the aforementioned abilities.

Well, let's make things clear. Terminologically, there is a difference between time manipulation and time travel. Reversing time is not the same as going back in time. You don't teleport from one dimension of time to another. Reversing time means you'd get to see the motion of matter around you move in reverse. Like rewinding a movie. You're still "traveling" through time one way or another, but not spatially. 

Just want to clear that up.

While I think reversing time is the most overall helpful (being able to change an event after it's happened), since you added the condition that the time effect doesn't affect you, reversing time would result in multiple clones of you running around instead of being able to just let you go back and redo something.  You can still undo things, it would just get weird with the extra you's.  This being the case, stopping time is probably the best if you're unaffected by the effect.

However, I'd much rather be affected by it (and just retain the memory) and have the reversing time.  The reason being is that at least using the time effect doesn't cause you to age.  By that I mean, if you stop time a lot, you're aging yourself prematurely compared to the rest of the world around you.  But in the reverse-time-but-have-it-effect-you-too example, once you've done your manipulations, you're still the same relative age at the end.

• Brohoof 2

reversing time would result in multiple clones of you running around instead of being able to just let you go back and redo something.

Replace "reversing time" with "going back in time" and you're right. Like I said previously, the time manipulation and time travel are terminologically and spatially different in their concepts. The latter involves moving from one dimension of time to another, which would of course result in a myriad of paradoxes. The former, however, involves manipulating the flow of time around you―the motion of everything in the universe―by either accelerating the rate of motion, reversing it, or halting it completely.

So to clear things up, reversing time would not result in multiple clones of you. It would not result in any paradoxes. Because its concept is not dimensionally based like the concept of time travel. lol

• Brohoof 2

(edited)

I'm honestly stuck between reversal and speeding up time. I could either go back and relive my happy memories, or make it go faster to possibly a better future.

Then again if I reverse time I would still have to come back to where I am now so speeding up is best :P

Edited: After reading what you mentioned about time travel vs reversing time then yeah still speeding up ^_^

Edited by Pink Mist
  • Brohoof 2

Replace "reversing time" with "going back in time" and you're right. Like I said previously, the time manipulation and time travel are terminologically and spatially different in their concepts. The latter involves moving from one dimension of time to another, which would of course result in a myriad of paradoxes. The former, however, involves manipulating the flow of time around you―the motion of everything in the universe―by either accelerating the rate of motion, reversing it, or halting it completely.

So to clear things up, reversing time would not result in multiple clones of you. It would not result in any paradoxes. Because its concept is not dimensionally based like the concept of time travel. lol

See, the difference between rewinding affected and rewinding unaffected is like this:

1. I stand on spot A, then walk to spot B.  I rewind time and end up back on spot A where I was before.  That's "affected".
  2. I stand on spot A for a while, then rewind, and as I'm rewinding I walk over to spot B before I stop rewinding.  To the observer, I suddenly disappear from spot A and reappear at spot B.  That's "unaffected".

I still wouldn't choose it unless I was 'unaffected by it' and ended up actually rewinding myself in the process, for the aforementioned aging issue.

• Brohoof 1

(edited)

Stopping time sounds cool, but you can only do so much with it.

I would totally reverse time! Think about this scenario:

You are walking down the street when all of a sudden, a pigeon poops on your head! You are embarrassed, and you just got it done too!

If you reverse time, than you can avoid the fashion disaster because you know what's coming! Problem solved!

With this kind of power, you can make things right and literally change destiny itself for you.

Edited by Mellifluous
  • Brohoof 3

Stopping time, with the following provisions:

1. I am unaffected, as is anything or anyone I want to be unaffected. I change what/who is and isn't "on" at will.

2. I am unaffected by momentum and other such physical things if I want to be (i.e. if I stop time while driving, my body isn't effected the way going from 50 to 0 instantly would normally).

3. Things still "on" while time is stopped don't age.

• Brohoof 3

I'd much rather be affected by it (and just retain the memory) and have the reversing time.  The reason being is that at least using the time effect doesn't cause you to age.  By that I mean, if you stop time a lot, you're aging yourself prematurely compared to the rest of the world around you.  But in the reverse-time-but-have-it-effect-you-too example, once you've done your manipulations, you're still the same relative age at the end.

Well, yeah that I can definitely understand!

For me, it's difficult to choose between rewinding time and speeding up time. Let me also add, that the extent at which you can use the abilities is limitless. You could rewind time or accelerate time by a few seconds to billions of years. The one scary aspect about this is if you rewind time too much, say, by 200 years, you practically stuck and all you could do is go back further in time. Same goes for fast-forwarding time. It's a one way trip. With that in mind, I'd probably want the ability to speed up time just so I can see the cities, the skies, and all of nature rapidly change in a breathtaking time-lapse. I'd want to see buildings rise and fall, infrastructures grow and expand, and mountains and canyons form and erode.

• Brohoof 1

Well, yeah that I can definitely understand!

For me, it's difficult to choose between rewinding time and speeding up time. Let me also add, that the extent at which you can use the abilities is limitless. You could rewind time or accelerate time by a few seconds to billions of years. The one scary aspect about this is if you rewind time too much, say, by 200 years, you practically stuck and all you could do is go back further in time. Same goes for fast-forwarding time. It's a one way trip. With that in mind, I'd probably want the ability to speed up time just so I can see the cities, the skies, and all of nature rapidly change in a breathtaking time-lapse. I'd want to see buildings rise and fall, infrastructures grow and expand, and mountains and canyons form and erode.

So you settle for speeding up time? :P Wise choice ;)

• Brohoof 1

So you settle for speeding up time? :P Wise choice ;)

Yeah, I'd probably want to fast-forward hundreds of millions of years just so I can see all the continents reunite to form the "New Pangaea." 

• Brohoof 1

(edited)

Yeah, I'd probably want to fast-forward hundreds of millions of years just so I can see all the continents reunite to form the "New Pangaea." 

@@Dsanders

You seriously think that will happen? :o

Edited by Pink Mist
  • Brohoof 1

Normally, I'd probably say freezing time. It would be an incredible power to have, because when I needed to sleep an extra hour or two, I'd have that ability!

However, in reality there is no way I would go with anything other than reversing time. I'd use the power to go back 9 years or more into the past... To get another chance at life. I'd also get to enjoy a little time of peace when my life was simpler.

• Brohoof 1

• 1 year later...

As we just watched Doctor Strange, the notion of time manipulation is quite intriguing. Used in small amounts, both are quite possibly strong. Rewinding could be quite possibly like having a save file, go in for an important interview with a boss, make note of the time beforehand and basically Groundhog Day it. You could act like an absolute jerk & not have any consequences! Fast-forwarding would be essentially cutting out the wait time if you don't want to wait for the bakery to get your order done or etc. but these have its limit. Since your unaffected it wouldn't save time on your walk to the grocery store on the corner as you'd still have to move yourself. And therein lies a two-headed problem.

The smaller being, what about what happens in those intervals? What if in that time you spent waiting in line at the bakery, the cute guy behind you chatted you up, you got to know each other & went on a date? That wouldn't happen if you sped up though that. If you reversed your life for a second chance, you'd still be the you that remembers those follies, the same bitter, older version of you that's replacing the you that was nine years younger.

While it would be cool to watch time fly by, the buildings crumble & continents move on at their sluggish pace trouble there...is that your effectively killing yourself. Completely unmooring yourself from the friends, your family, the entire ecosystem you grew in & become accustomed to. When you wound up where you were going, you would be in an entirely different place you had no bearing or knowledge of.  Every bit as a change as hopping dimensions.

Part of what makes life is the mundane seconds that sliver off the block that is life.

Which is why I would go with stopping time entirely. Effectively removing yourself, then popping right back into things when your ready. Have to agree with Evilshy on her points.

Stopping time, with the following provisions:

1. I am unaffected, as is anything or anyone I want to be unaffected. I change what/who is and isn't "on" at will.

2. I am unaffected by momentum and other such physical things if I want to be (i.e. if I stop time while driving, my body isn't effected the way going from 50 to 0 instantly would normally).

3. Things still "on" while time is stopped don't age.

Basically creating a sort of momentary personal pocket dimension. With the method of somehow "infecting" your time immunity to others, which helps alleviate what is likely the biggest consequence of all three.

That you would go insane.

Think about it. Watching other's lives go careening by, or stopping it and turning them into basically statues. Would sort of objectify them. Of course, if its just freezing time in that one split-second, you can get alot done while in there. Say, freeze time while somepony is tossing an apple to somepony else, freeze, and eat the apple out of the air. You only ate it out from that one, specific nanosecond but since it still exists in the nanoseconds before and after that, it still goes to its intended recipient after you unfreeze. That! And maybe just play with everybeing else for a bit like they were dolls, put them in funny positions & whatnot and they'd immediately zip back into place when you unfroze.

But that still stands. Seeing those you interact with just stop and be vulnerable, to have that much time to yourself knowing what little impact you have when everything you did amounts to nothing once time reasserts itself.....you'd go mad.

Trust me....I KNOW.

• Brohoof 1

I can do all of those things and it's highly overrated. No matter which reality you create, an infinitude of others branch out from your every act. It makes time manipulation pointless, ultimately. 

• Brohoof 1