Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

What is a vector graphic? (what a vector graphic actually is)

FLARE

Quite often I see the question being asked "what is a vector?"

Well, lets get started on answering a few questions about vector graphics...

WHY ARE VECTORS USED A LOT WITH PONIES?

They seem to be used a lot in the fan art (not all of it though) because the actual show its self is draw using vectors, in flash, an animation program. One of the possible reasons why flash uses vectors for almost if not everything is because when animating say you want something to get bigger or move closer to the camera, it will get blurry or pixelated if it is a raster (bitmap) image. Although I rarely use flash another reason for its use could be that it is easier to animate with...but I don't know.

WHAT IS A BITMAP/RASTER IMAGE?

A bitmap or raster image is a type of image that is "pre rendered". The basic content of a bitmap file is pretty much, the location of each pixel and the colour that it has at the location. These are the most common types of images you will find on the internet, and if you try to enlarge them, they will always become blurry and pixelated. Some of the common file types of a bitmap image include; PNG, JPG, GIF and BMP. There are more but those are the most common. Some examples of bitmap/raster programs include; MS paint, GIMP 2, Photoshop* and pretty much anything that can export one of the file types said above.

WHAT IS A VECTOR?

You mean vector graphic, the term vector its self is a different thing (sorta) However because of the popularity of the term vector in the context of art, it has become acceptable as the term vector to mean vector graphic... back on topic. Quite simply a vector graphic is a type of digital art that is drawn differently to a bitmap image in that it uses mathematical curves (Bézier curves) and other mathematical equations to make it retain the same quality through out being enlarged. Theoretically you could resize a vector and print it off to any size...imagine having a massive rarity poster the size of your wall that doesn't look blury? The thing with vector graphics is that they aren't all that popular on the internet in every day use (like the icons on a website are most likely to be a bitmap) so there aren't that many vector formats out there, the most popular format is SVG, the reason for it is:

>because it isn't specific to only one program

> It can be viewed in all modern web browsers

>relatively small file size

> can contain raster elements in it ( best of both worlds? however doing this is pretty much useless anyway.)

there are plenty of other file types as well, but as said above most of them are specific to one program only or are very rarely used to day.

Some of the common tools for drawing a vector include: Inkscape, Illustrator, Photoshop* and flash.

*photoshop is primarily a bitmap program, however the PSD file contains some vector elements in it, if it was to be imported into a vector program, it would act like a normal vector (provided that everything in the PSD is a vector graphic,)

Here are some related images, These will help you understand vector graphics

Posted Image

Posted Image

(these images demonstration the resizeability with loss of quality)

Posted Image

Posted Image

(some examples of a vector graphic made with bezier curves where they can be seen)

and an example of a vector in a nonraster format, SVG http://upload.wikime...vg_example3.svg (ctrl+scroll should zoom in for you in any modern browser, it doesn't get blury, compare it to this raster version http://puu.sh/pwyW )

Some helpful resources about vector graphics:

http://en.wikipedia....Vector_graphics

http://en.wikipedia....i/Bézier_curve

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pixels

http://en.wikipedia....Raster_graphics

http://mlp-vectorclub.deviantart.com/

If you have any questions you can ask me... if something I said was wrong PLEASE tell me, I have the feeling that everyone knows more than me about this so if I said something that was factually incorrect, I would gladly fix it for you and others.

Try to enjoy :3

Edited by Flare^99999999999
  • Brohoof 22

I've actually had a bunch of my friends ask me what a vector image was since I got into doing it. Now I can link them to this and not have to try and explain it to them ^^

I think you've pretty much summed it all up ^^

Edited by Eavath

(edited)

Okay! that is good, I was worried I missed something. Edited by Flare^99999999999

Okay! that is good, I was worried I missed something.

There's only thing I'd personally clear up: "and other mathematical equations to make it retain the same size through out being enlarged."

I think size, here, could either be changed to quality, or add it in with it. I personally know people who would get confused by it ^^"

There's only thing I'd personally clear up: "and other mathematical equations to make it retain the same size through out being enlarged."

I think size, here, could either be changed to quality, or add it in with it. I personally know people who would get confused by it ^^"

I fixed it, I was half alseep while typing his up so I didn't bother proof reading it.

I have seen so many people asking about what a vector is. Now, finally, someone has taken the time to type up a good definition thread.

Flare, this guide is very nicely put together. I especially like how you provide the background detail needed to answer the question without getting super-technical about it.

I think that I will link people that need a definition to this thread as well.

Edit: And with this post, I graduate to bunnyness. I'm ok with that!

Edited by Scootacool
  • Brohoof 2

I've actually had a bunch of my friends ask me what a vector image was since I got into doing it. Now I can link them to this and not have to try and explain it to them ^^

Same, this article will come in handy.

(edited)

Flare blinded me, with wikipedia :o ~

Its super effective!

It all makes sense now...

Glad I could make it make sense for you!

Also, I updated the OP... I might do another update with a small guide into getting into vectoring (the differences between the programs, what you should choose and a tutorial for each of them)

Edited by Flare^99999999999
  • Brohoof 1

• 4 weeks later...

I think I'm stupid. I still don't get it.

Hmm... maybe you should try a bit of vectoring to learn sorta how its done and maybe that will help you understand, alternatively you could watch a video of someone vectoring.

This is really helpful

I need to get into art sometime, but i still have not gotten a tablet.

I don't have a tablet. It's actually harder to make vectors with a tablet... Or so I am told.

I don't have a tablet. It's actually harder to make vectors with a tablet... Or so I am told.

I have a tablet. I find it so much easier to vector with a mouse.

Awesome article. Doesn't look like you missed a thing.

• Brohoof 1

I was thinking about just doing a bunch of different things, vectors included (If i ever get good at them xD)

Since i suppose i do art, sort of. I find it pretty hard to make good lines with a mouse. i was fairly lucky i got my avatar done without a tablet.

I was thinking about just doing a bunch of different things, vectors included (If i ever get good at them xD)

Since i suppose i do art, sort of. I find it pretty hard to make good lines with a mouse. i was fairly lucky i got my avatar done without a tablet.

Vectors make lines EASY, because of the way they are drawn, you only plot a few points in order to create a line (whether it be straight or curvy).

Vectors make lines EASY, because of the way they are drawn, you only plot a few points in order to create a line (whether it be straight or curvy).

I just can't use the line (or path tool in gimp) tool very well xD

But now that i think of it, that would be a good idea on something to do until i got a tablet though.

I just can't use the line (or path tool in gimp) tool very well xD

But now that i think of it, that would be a good idea on something to do until i got a tablet though.

In gimp the way it does paths is very bad (goes straight to raster and is editable after you've placed the paths), try a vector program like inkscape.

(edited)

In gimp the way it does paths is very bad (goes straight to raster and is editable after you've placed the paths), try a vector program like inkscape.

Actually have not heard of that one.

although i try to use Photoshop most of the time

Sai for just art and Gimp for quick transparency.

Edited by ShadowCloud

Actually have not heard of that one.

although i try to use Photoshop most of the time

Sai for just art and Gimp for quick transparency.

Inkscape is a free open source vector program, in terms of rendering it is the best as it leaves less errors than what Photoshop and Illustrator do. It is also a true vector program as it can export in 100% vector formats such as SVG while Photoshop cannot (illustrator can)

Inkscape is a free open source vector program, in terms of rendering it is the best as it leaves less errors than what Photoshop and Illustrator do. It is also a true vector program as it can export in 100% vector formats such as SVG while Photoshop cannot (illustrator can)

Sounds cool.

*Downloads*

This might take a while to get used to :P