Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

The middle names of the ponies?

Happyandrenewed999

(edited)

What about their last names? At least for Fluttershy Rarity and Applejack that is

Rarity Belle

Applejack Apple

Those have been alluded to.

Fluttershy? No idea....

Edit: I think it may be Fluttershy Hugger in the near future tho. :P

Edited by GreatAndPowerfulKaty
  • Brohoof 2

Rarity Belle

People think this just because of sweetie belle? Twilight and shining armor have two completely different surnames from both their parents, I don't think Rarity would 100% have her names, though i get it's just speculation

I thought I heard in one episode Rarity refer to herself as Rarity Unicorn but common sense tells me I likely misheard and she probably said 'Rarity, the unicorn....' Either way, it sounds silly except in the specific context it was used.

Rarity Belle

Applejack Apple

Those have been alluded to.

Fluttershy? No idea....

Edit: I think it may be Fluttershy Hugger in the near future tho. :P

Personally I've always thought it was Jacqueline Apple and Fluttershy Woods (Cause she's a tree and lives near the forests...yeah not much backing it up though)  

Expanding on what Knight Dash said...

The fact that we have three names is cultural. It's what we do, but it's not what they do by necessity. In other parts of the world, three names aren't the default from what I gather. From what I've heard, some of low status only have one or two, while others have huuuugely long sequences of names. Others change their names when they go up or down in status. 

So yeah, I don't think pony names work on a dead-set three name basis. I mean, there's the apple family, yet Big Mac, Apple Bloom, and Applejack have no common 'Apple' part in their name from what I've seen, but more a loose theme and bloodlines. In the US (and much of the world), the third name we're given is familiar heritage, being passed down to honor that bloodline. Even that fundamental difference seems to be absent.

• Brohoof 2

I think it's pretty certain that Pie is Pinkie's last name, given her and Maud Pie's names, plus her reference to "Apple Pie" meaning she could potentially be related to AJ (which is headcanon for me :P), but the fact that she DID consider it to link her to AJ means that AJ's family name is most likely Apple. And they keep referring to "The Apple Family", heck it's in a song. They also refer to members of their family as "Apples", and I doubt that's a nickname. Just my 2 cents :)

I have no idea about the others, and as for Twi and her bro, it's obvious they're just "two part" name ponies, similar to Chinese names in our world.

After hearing about 'Pinkamene Diane Pie' I had this headcanon that all the funny names ponies have are all nicknames. Everyone has slightly more 'mature' sounding names like Pinkie's full name. More like the ones we have in our world.

• 6 years later...
On 2015-06-04 at 6:40 PM, Happyandrenewed999 said:

We already know Pinkie Pie's middle name. But what do you think the other ponies middle names are? The rest of the mane six I mean.

I google searched twilight's middle name, and my ansore was velvet...... huh ... funny if you think about it.